Rifle cartridge shaped rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taiwanluthiers

Reaction score
This might sound weird, but has anyone here built a rocket that looks like a rifle cartridge?

There are at least two kits...

Estes as a 22 caliber based "Short Round" rocket and a "Magnum Load" rocket

Then there's sodmeister's .50 caliber rocket.

attachment.php

Last edited:
LOC Expediter. All it needs is the brass and copper paint job.

But I own several firearms in various calibers, and none use cartridges with fins.

I noticed people talk about chrome/brass/etc paint jobs being either pretty and fragile, or dull and bulletproof with clears...

I wonder what about using brass/copper colored metallic car paints, that can be safely used with clear coats?

I discovered there's a special technique for metallic paints. First of all those spray can silver/gold colors do not hold up to clear coats at all. In fact I have found as soon as clear touch it it turns dull gray. I have seen auto type paints that holds up better to clears (but you must dust the first few coats of clear on).

Basically spray a good solid primer coat. Then you DUST the metallic paint on, meaning you spray a very dry coat. Finally when you spray clear you dust the first few coats on as well.

LOC Expediter. All it needs is the brass and copper paint job.

But I own several firearms in various calibers, and none use cartridges with fins.

I've tried and tried.....can't get any of my firearms to shoot the whole cartridge out....

I came close once when I loaded a 20ga shell into a 12ga shotgun. I'm not ready to give up just yet.

If you load a 20 gauge shell into a 12 gauge shotshell, then it may shoot the whole 20 gauge shell out.

Problem is I'm not sure if shotgun shell looking rockets can fly... the flat nose is not very aerodynamic...

If you load a 20 gauge shell into a 12 gauge shotshell, then it may shoot the whole 20 gauge shell out.

True story. Luckily it was an automatic and it just REALLY pissed the action off and split the shell. If it had been a break action.....boom.

I would think that break action is stronger than automatic... as far as I know most automatic shotguns have a blowback action meaning the breech isn't completely locked.

I would think that break action is stronger than automatic... as far as I know most automatic shotguns have a blowback action meaning the breech isn't completely locked.

exactly. meaning it can vent an overpressure. only way for a break to vent it, is to split.

An automatic shotgun? Sweet! I didn't know they existed, I've heard of semiautomatic though.
A rifle cartridge rocket is a cool idea!

Automatic refers to the action and loading. Not the trigger. It's one pull, one shot.

Automatic refers to the action and loading. Not the trigger. It's one pull, one shot.

Then its still a semi-auto shotgun, its either recoil operated, gas operated or some form inbetween. The term automatic is way to often taken wrong by those who don't have a clue (I mean the anti-gun crowd). Your shotgun is better described by calling it an Auto-Loading. I own a Beretta Semi-auto as well as a Benelli and I love them, whats its say when your favorite shotgun for hunting though is a Rem870 SuperMag, costing a quarter of what the semi-autos cost. On the subject of a 20 gauge fired in a 12 gauge, the action under most circumstances (break action, pump, semi-auto) would not have failed, semi-autos and pumps are NOT blowback actions they do have locking mechanisms and the first .25 inch of bolt movement is to do just that. Some use rotary bolts, and some use a lug that engages a mortise in the top of the frame, or the whole bolt assembly pivots into a mortise. Shotguns are fairly low pressure so unless the barrel was plugged a sub caliber shotgun shell should cause a catastrophic failure.

No reason at all a flat nose rocket shouldn't fly well, its just not aerodynamically a great shape. Heres one from Custom Rockets a20791e142f48e0ac975d7_m__54725.1409696350.386.513.gif a shotgun shell shaped rocket is definitely do-able.

Last edited:
I think I saw in mythbusters they tried to get guns to explode, and they welded a steel plug to one of their shotguns and all it really did was blow a small hole at the muzzle.

I've tried and tried.....can't get any of my firearms to shoot the whole cartridge out....

If you do get the firearm to shoot the whole cartridge out... You have a serious problem.

And you guys mixing 20G with 12G shells... Doc says ur gonna get seriously hurt, if not dead. Mixing shotgun shell gauges... VERY BAD idea.

Not really, I am a gun person and it annoys me when the term "automatic" is used since way to many of the un-informed try and take away my hobbies, that goes for rocketry too. How many of us would get offended by references of our rocketry being "fireworks". Nope not taking it seriously at all, I were there would be a thread totally devoted to the rant.:eyeroll:

Ever seen someone make that mistake?

I have.

It ain't good.

The pipe looked like a Fleur-de-lis, and the guy at the next station was bleeding and screaming for someone to dial 9-1-1. I can't imagine that the insurance company was too pleased, either.

Safety is FIRST, not third.

Not really, I am a gun person and it annoys me when the term "automatic" is used since way to many of the un-informed try and take away my hobbies, that goes for rocketry too. How many of us would get offended by references of our rocketry being "fireworks". Nope not taking it seriously at all, I were there would be a thread totally devoted to the rant.:eyeroll:

The term automatic was used much more widely before the namby pamby idiots tried going after guns. Like assault rifle, it's been bastardized by those that don't know anything about firearms. Is auto loading more politically correct? Sure. Do I like bowing down to those idiots? No.

The term automatic was used much more widely before the namby pamby idiots tried going after guns. Like assault rifle, it's been bastardized by those that don't know anything about firearms. Is auto loading more politically correct? Sure. Do I like bowing down to those idiots? No.

Agreed, down with the idiots!

The namby-pambies are being brain washed by the media.

A few decades ago... Sunday afternoon, I'm channel surfing the TV. I pause on channel 7, KGO in SF. "900 Front Street." Their local talk show.

The show opens with file footage of a police officer at a police range. He's holding what I recognize to be a 9mm Uzi. This one has a very short barrel. He inserts a mag, and pulls back on the charging handle. I notice that handle remains in the rearward position. He points the weapon downrange, and squeezes the trigger, sending 32 rounds in just over 1 second.

They then cut to Fred LaCosse, news anchorman, and our host for the show. He is on stage in front of a studio audience, holding up a weapon that looks very similar, but has a MUCH longer barrel, and a stock. Fred says "Anyone can go into a sporting goods store and buy this gun for $500." True statement, at the time. BUT...

The military issue sub-machine gun we saw the cop firing is just that. It fires from the open bolt. Selective fire. A subby. You CAN'T buy that at a sporting goods store. For ANY amount of money. Cuz I don't care who you know, the ATF is NOT going to give you a class 3 permit, and they DON'T sell class 3 weapons at Big-5. The ATF will be happy to accept your $200 application fee, and they will cash the check. But one thing they WON'T do is issue a civilian a class 3 permit. Write it down and get used to it, cuz it ain't gonna happen.

The look-alike that Fred is holding... 18 inch barrel. Civilian version. Closed bolt. Semi-auto ONLY. 1 squeeze, 1 round.

But the average schmuck doesn't know the difference. Fred is lying by deception. And rest assured...His deception is quite deliberate.

Thanks a lot, Fred. Thanks for letting me know I can't trust you for the news any more. I'll watch a different channel from now on.

As if that would change anything. It won't. They all do it.

All I can do is hold up three fingers, and ask Fred if he can read between the lines.

Cuz I don't care who you know, the ATF is NOT going to give you a class 3 permit, and they DON'T sell class 3 weapons at Big-5. The ATF will be haoods storeppy to accept your $200 application fee, and they will cash the check. But one thing they WON'T do is issue a civilian a class 3 permit. Write it down and get used to it, cuz it ain't gonna happen.

Thats actually a wrong statement, you a civilian can own a true autofiring weapon, ATF WILL take your money, and if you pass the background and other checks they WILL allow you to own automatic weapons, however the state you live in may not allow you to possess them in that state. For example in OR and ID you can own and possess a fully automatic weapon with the ATF Class 3, most likely also requiring a local or state tax stamp as well. WA where I live on the other hand you may not possess (have in state), you may have the ATF class3 and own the weapon but you may not bring it into WA. I know people who own M60s, M2, MP5s, M16s, so on and so forth. There is or used to be a large "machine gun" shoot in Umatilla OR, (Held at the Umatilla Army Depot) where people who would never otherwise be able to fire a fully automatic weapon had the chance to buy ammo (at expensive rates) and fire whatever weapons that INDIVIDUALS brought to the shoot, these weapons were civilian owned. California has retarded gun laws as do many other states, my own state being one of them. OR iirc you can own a machinegun but not a singleshot pistol (THompson Contender) with a shotgun barrel. In many states its also legal to own suppressors, once again with an ATF tax stamp, and local approval.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread.

San Francisco bay area TV station, airing a locally broadcast show. Anyone watching won't be getting a class 3.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

LOC Expediter with a brass and copper paint job. :grin:

Back