So proud of myself!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerbs4me

Reaction score
So I'm taking a machinst class put on by my work. I signed up because I love to learn. Last Friday we had our first big test over blueprints.

So today as we all just got seated the instructor points at me and says out loud "You stand up!" I'm thinking to myself...Oh Lord what did I do?....The instructor said "Take a bow.....top grade on the test!" I was pretty stoked to hear that. A 96% on the test...I'm pretty happy with that. :)
Today we started learning measuring with Dial Calipers, micrometers, and venier scales...which I do enjoy. Any machinist here on the forum?

Last edited:
Well done. Also, I am officially jealous that your work hosts such classes. I always enjoyed messing around in the Physics department machine shop in undergrad.

Congratulations! That's great.

As soon as you start cutting metal, there's a few things I wonder if you could make for me...

Just joking. Keep up the good work!

Congratulations! I wish there was someplace I could take machining classes nearby. I'm a self taught home shop machinist. Well, self and Internet forums. It's a really rewarding hobby in itself.

I love metal working. Wish I had more time... Congrats by the way!

Today we started learning measuring with Dial Calipers, micrometers, and veRnier scales...which I do enjoy. Any machinist here on the forum?

In a word...

Yup. :wink:

You will find that vernier scales and dial calipers are precision guess-timaters. If you want an actual measurement, use a micrometer. :2:

Thanks everyone!

Cherokeej> Thanks for that info, I will definitely keep that in mind.

Thanks everyone!

Cherokeej> Thanks for that info, I will definitely keep that in mind.

It really depends on what you're doing. If you're making a bulkhead for a nosecone, it really doesn't need to be all that precise. You turn a collar to fit the shoulder, and epoxy it in. Then you turn a bulkhead to fit in the collar. "A few thou" is close enough, as long as it fits. It doesn't need to be dead nvts.

If, however, you're doing something that requires precision, like turning a spool for a hydraulic valve, a dial caliper won't get you the close tolerance required.

Cutting metal is fun, isn't it? :grin:

Been at it a while now. But getting old hurts, so I don't do it as much any more. :(

Last edited:
Back