Camden, SC: ROSCO Sport Launch: 13-14 August

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20,000 is a heck of a waiver.

Heck, I would love to find a field in GA. I would prefect two fields if I could.

Out of curiosity having lived in NC for 5 years, what waiver are you guys applying for? 20k range?

Since most of my projects in the last 10 years or so have been built for Black Rock, I was never able to do much flying when I lived in NC short of testing motors in super heavy rockets. But I was fortunate to live in the triangle area with access to the best kept secret in East Coast rocketry (Bayboro). Oburg was a cool place to visit just because of the history (and it was pretty cool to take a two lane all the way to a rocket launch), but pretty restrictive from a flying standpoint. It always drew an exponentially larger crowd than Bayboro simply due to the proximity to Charlotte/ATL. I've long felt that rocketry in the SE would bounce back from the loss of Whitakers and the Roth field in Florida if somebody got a 20-25k' waiver in that "central" area.

Exciting that you found a supposedly large new field, best of luck with the waiver.

Boon of living in Texas: 75k' waiver at "home" site
Drawback of living in Texas: 13 hour drive one way to "home" site

Enjoy guys.

-steve

Alabama has a field with 24k waiver

I have had 15 guesses today. I have had two correct guesses. Please do not post your guess here.

If you want to guess, send it by email. The two winners will get a prize TBD.

I have a game. Guess the waiver altitude the FAA will approve. Keep in mind, only the FAA knows at this stage. You can post an altitude here.

Ummm...you gave us a hint that narrowed it down to an area greater than 3000 square miles and two people guessed which field it is with no additional information? Either there must be some inside knowledge out there, or they should be playing the lottery...in which case they could just buy us a field!

Cheers,
Michael

Ummm...you gave us a hint that narrowed it down to an area greater than 3000 square miles and two people guessed which field it is with no additional information? Either there must be some inside knowledge out there, or they should be playing the lottery...in which case they could just buy us a field!

Cheers,
Michael

Bingo. More to come.

I have had 15 guesses today. I have had two correct guesses. Please do not post your guess here.

If you want to guess, send it by email. The two winners will get a prize TBD.

I have a game. Guess the waiver altitude the FAA will approve. Keep in mind, only the FAA knows at this stage. You can post an altitude here.

Do the ones that had sent you a PM with the field guess have to resend it to you via email as well?

My guess for waiver is 12k.

16K, that way some of you can reach for those three mile high flights.
Me, I'll be happy if I can pull off that Mile High Flight I've been dreaming of, scrounging and saving for, over the past two years.

Ok,

It is official. We have a waiver and a field. We do not have a schedule.

The site is Modern Turf near Camden, SC. We have a higher waiver approved, but we will be limited the altitude until we get used to the field. There maybe other limits by the land owner.

Please do not contact the land owner. This with a stern warning to let the officers continue to be the one and only interface with our gracious hosts.

Once we have an approved schedule and nail down any further limits, I will release them here.

Another excellent rocketry day. My first carbon fiber rocket, and now a schedule pending for my field!

Cheers,
Michael

This is just wonderful news Chuck...
Thank you so much for all of you hard work...

I honestly don't know how you do it....

Teddy

This is just wonderful news Chuck...
Thank you so much for all of you hard work...

I honestly don't know how you do it....

Teddy

Credit to ALL of the officers of both clubs. Great work, guys! I'm proud to call each and every one of you my friend.

Cheers,
Michael

Credit to ALL of the officers of both clubs. Great work, guys! I'm proud to call each and every one of you my friend.

Cheers,
Michael

Why yes, of course
I meant no ill..
Many are always involved to make these things work..
Many thanks and congrats to all...

Teddy

Wonderful news! Thank you all for your hard work and dedication.

"And There Was Much Rejoicing..."
[video=youtube;NmPhaG1ud38]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmPhaG1ud38[/video]

I just can't wait to know what the waiver will be. Anything is great but I'm hoping for 12K :)

we want to build up altitude slowly to keep the field. It is larger than the central field at supersod, but smaller if you include all the fields we land in orangeburg.

No industrial park. No interstate.

We are trying to be cautious.

Great news!

Here it is:
New_Field_SC.jpg

Very good decision to build up altitude first. Seems there are more trees around the vicinity of the field and there is also a main road going by which makes it a bit more risky for high altitudes compared to Orangeburg.

I'm very happy to see that nearby Camden has a couple of hotels and many restaurants to chose from.

Looking very much forward to flying on the new field.

90 minutes for me, same as Orangeburg, but all xpressway till 521.
Can wait, got rockets that can hit anywhere from 1K on up, pick your poison.

An extra hour for me but will still go. Waiting to burn some APCP, none since NSL :(

Back