Camden, SC: ROSCO Sport Launch: 13-14 August

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will see what we can do, but whether a farm or business, our new field will have weekday limitations when they farm.

Unfortunately, the new site can not be both closer to NC and in GA. Some will have to travel further.

Call me sentimental, but I hope that The Rocketry Organization of South Carolina at Orangeburg is in neither Grorgia nor North Carolina!

Cheers,
Michael

Very nice to read that it's in SC. I've canceled my US trip for October and November. I hope the club will be up and running on the new field no later than the first half of December. I can't push my vacation back any further than that.

Hmm,

That might be more information than I can give. It will be within 30 minutes of Orangeburg.

I bet I know where it is!!!!!!
More like 40 to 45 minutes away from Orangeburg if I'm right. But the same distance of travel for me.
I pass by that area every other week..:pop:

Within 30 min of Oberg is awesome! More info than I expected to hear. Hoping it's a little further north, but I have a feeling that may not be the case.

Out of curiosity having lived in NC for 5 years, what waiver are you guys applying for? 20k range?

Since most of my projects in the last 10 years or so have been built for Black Rock, I was never able to do much flying when I lived in NC short of testing motors in super heavy rockets. But I was fortunate to live in the triangle area with access to the best kept secret in East Coast rocketry (Bayboro). Oburg was a cool place to visit just because of the history (and it was pretty cool to take a two lane all the way to a rocket launch), but pretty restrictive from a flying standpoint. It always drew an exponentially larger crowd than Bayboro simply due to the proximity to Charlotte/ATL. I've long felt that rocketry in the SE would bounce back from the loss of Whitakers and the Roth field in Florida if somebody got a 20-25k' waiver in that "central" area.

Exciting that you found a supposedly large new field, best of luck with the waiver.

Boon of living in Texas: 75k' waiver at "home" site
Drawback of living in Texas: 13 hour drive one way to "home" site

Enjoy guys.

-steve

I love bayboro just because of the AWESOME waiver.... :) I'd love if the waiver was even higher than bayboro though....

I don't care where it .....as long as I get to fly soon.

Will we have monthly launches as before?

I'm also guessing it's pretty darn wet as of later or worse.......under water.LOl

The waiver has absolutely nothing to do with attendance for the most part in my opinion. The sad fact is no one wants to drive more than an hour to a launch. I have driven 10 hrs to NY twice this summer. I hear people complain constantly about the long drive (2 hrs) to a launch. SHEESH, I wish there was a field within 2 hrs from me. Personally, 8K is more than enough on the east coast. You wanna go crazy high, go west young person!

I can confidently say the vast majority of flights at any launch are under 5K. Heck I'd venture to say most are under 1-2K. But it would be nice to see a high wavier field for sure because it would allow such flying. I may make such an attempt if so!

Waiver altitude is up in the air what will be approved. I hope the FAA approved the max altitude we are requesting.

I have had 15 guesses today. I have had two correct guesses. Please do not post your guess here.

If you want to guess, send it by email. The two winners will get a prize TBD.

I have a game. Guess the waiver altitude the FAA will approve. Keep in mind, only the FAA knows at this stage. You can post an altitude here.

Back