Build thread: MAC Performance Rocketry Scorpion.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick update... AMW is going to provide me with a FG coupler and black switch band at tomorrow's launch. A little 5-min epoxy and some drilling, and I think I still get to launch this sucker. If so, there will be final pictures and a flight report on Sunday or Monday.

Quick update... AMW is going to provide me with a FG coupler and black switch band at tomorrow's launch. A little 5-min epoxy and some drilling, and I think I still get to launch this sucker. If so, there will be final pictures and a flight report on Sunday or Monday.

What's wrong with the one you have?

What's wrong with the one you have?

Ah! I thought I posted!

When I went to drill a 1/2" hole in my switch band for the rotary switch, the switch band cracked and partially separated from the coupler.

Here is the painted rocket:
IMG_0844.jpg

Here is the crack:
IMG_0846.jpg IMG_0847.jpg

I'm sure I posted this. Maybe I never hit Submit, or maybe some glitch removed the post.

That's too bad. Any idea why it split? You ought to talk to Mike about it. Maybe he'll send you another one.

I know it's too late now, but coating both sides with masking tape can help. It may not prevent the split like you had, but I have found it helps reduce the number of splinters and rough edges, especially on the bottom where the drill breaks through. I also like to use brad point drill bits on tubes, especially fiberglass. They seem to cut through with less fraying and splinters.
Dremel%204%20Piece%20Brad%20Point%20Drill%20Bit%20Set%20Drill%20Bits,%20Drill%20Bits%20and%20Chucks,%20631-01%20(EN,%20ES)%20r19831v15.jpg

Good Luck

Thanks for the suggestions!

As the story goes, Robert DeHate had a coupler and switch band there for me, but the FG coupler was a hair (and I mean a hair) too big to fit inside the canvas phenolic tubes. So, I have the FG switch band, and now I will try to sand down the original coupler to get the epoxy off. If I can't, then I'll order a new one. One way or another, this thing is going airborne in July!

Without my asking, Mike sent me a new coupler and switch band. I guess he saw this thread and decided to help me out. Which is awesome!

They arrived yesterday. I epoxied on the band. Tonight I'll tape it off and do a quick paint job. Hopefully tomorrow night I'll get it drilled (with my forstner bit), and then this baby is done. Will have to wait for the July 11 launch to get it in the air.

I decided to drill first, paint later, in case there were another mishap. But all the holes got drilled successfully! The AV bay is all taped up and ready for paint. I'll get that done tomorrow, and then hopefully post some finished pictures of the whole rocket.

Well, here she is. I am not a great painter/sander/finisher, but it will look good enough on the pad. Everything is done except the shear pin holes.

Unfortunately, I cannot seem to add any attachments. The wizard isn't uploading anything. I have a grand total of 248 attachments. Is that too many? How do you delete them? I'd really like to add my pictures.

"The following error occurred: upload of the file failed."

Well, pics once this is fixed.

FINALLY got a finished picture, and since I can upload attachments at work (still can't from home), here it is. I think it flew to about 2700 feet (I listened to the beeps but forgot to write it down) on an I236 Blue Streak. Perfect DD, and everything recovered in perfect shape.

Scorpion.jpg

Back