Musical Genius!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
[video=youtube;RFvtoJrK1Zg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFvtoJrK1Zg[/video]

Last edited:
If you like Frank Z, you're prolly a Grateful Dead fan as well. It's a given. This coming from knowing a great many people while in the music biz.

Went to a Zappa show (Dion, of all people, opened for them), afterwards we went to a Denny's or some such place and Frank and some of the band were there. He caught me looking and stuck his tongue out at me. My only celebrity sighting.

Oddly, Gary, I've been a Zappa/Mothers fan since high school, but I never was overly enthusiastic about the Dead. Go figure.

Oddly, Gary, I've been a Zappa/Mothers fan since high school, but I never was overly enthusiastic about the Dead. Go figure.

I reckon that makes you 1 out of 100 (aprox). I was never a big fan of each of them, but it was no mystery to me that every Dead Head I ever met, were Zap fans also. I believe one of my bass players was like you. He liked Zappa and didn't think much of GD.

I reckon that makes you 1 out of 100 (aprox). I was never a big fan of each of them, but it was no mystery to me that every Dead Head I ever met, were Zap fans also. I believe one of my bass players was like you. He liked Zappa and didn't think much of GD.
Eh, my tastes have always been odd and eclectic. Captain Beyond—anyone?

If you like Frank Z, you're prolly a Grateful Dead fan as well. It's a given. This coming from knowing a great many people while in the music biz.

Actually I don't like the Dead. Too Hippy for me.
I like Zappa because of the complexity of the compositions and the number of different instruments used to compose them.

[video=youtube;ZlIe5mBqIB4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlIe5mBqIB4[/video]

Last edited:
On the Zappa/Dead thing:

I myself am a big Zappa fan, but I simply despise the Grateful Dead. COMPLETELY different things to me.

I "like" a pretty wide range of music. About the only things I don't like are purely commercial "product" (though a lot of "Pop" can be excellent), most modern-day country (though I LOVE what I call "real" country music), and the Dead (along with all the other "jam band" stuff such as Phish, Widespread Panic, etc.).

I do miss Frank.

s6

[video=youtube;FXfa9eMk-WQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXfa9eMk-WQ[/video]

For the record, I agree both bands are completely different. I just said I also liked the Dead because they were brought up. Very different music but one thing that is similar between Zappa's group and the Dead (and other the jam bands mentioned, which I do like;-)) is improvisation. While jam bands do more of it, and for longer periods of time, Zappa's band has many improvised solos. Heck, much of his old band were or went on to be great jazz players.

Complex composition is something they share as well...many of Franks songs have long, winding and unique compositions. This is seen in some jam bands - Dead to a certain degree but definitely Phish. Check out some of the tunes in their earlier albums like "You Enjoy Myself," "Fluffs Travels," or "Reba." There's some impressive compositional work going on there.

For the record, I agree both bands are completely different. I just said I also liked the Dead because they were brought up. Very different music but one thing that is similar between Zappa's group and the Dead (and other the jam bands mentioned, which I do like;-)) is improvisation. While jam bands do more of it, and for longer periods of time, Zappa's band has many improvised solos. Heck, much of his old band were or went on to be great jazz players.

Complex composition is something they share as well...many of Franks songs have long, winding and unique compositions. This is seen in some jam bands - Dead to a certain degree but definitely Phish. Check out some of the tunes in their earlier albums like "You Enjoy Myself," "Fluffs Travels," or "Reba." There's some impressive compositional work going on there.

That's why I hate Phish. They were really popular here in Vermont in the 90's, and all my friends thought they were pretty great because sometimes they would go to the same parties as us. I always told my friends that Phish was crap because they seemed like they ripped off a lot of Zappa stuff.

Last edited:
Frank Zappa was one of those true artists that while I can appreciate the genius of his work, I just don't much care for it. I guess that truly makes it art. Whereas a lot of what you hear today is over engineered noise tailored to appeal to as wide of an audience as possible.

Back