TARC 2015 Results

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our kids were in 5th place after the first round, then got an underperforming motor for their second flight and ended up at 32nd. The altimeter plot showed the second flight motor to not have the typical spike in velocity at liftoff as compared to the other 100+ or so flights that they had done previously.

Unfortunately, we think the motors that were delivered to them at the finals weren't the same batch that they were flying. Hard to tell when the vendor repackaged the motors from what CTI supplied, then rubber stamped their own date codes. Not a good practice to inspire confidence when the customer is looking for consistency.

Next year- different plans for the motors!

Unfortunately, we think the motors that were delivered to them at the finals weren't the same batch that they were flying. Hard to tell when the vendor repackaged the motors from what CTI supplied, then rubber stamped their own date codes. Not a good practice to inspire confidence when the customer is looking for consistency.

Shameless vendor plugging here. We bought from AMW (no hazmat for orders over $400, plus a 10% TARC discount). On our last batch of tuneup motors that we used for the final flights, we had AMW send four to a friend who works in DC. That wasn't free hazmat, but still pretty cheap. AMW was also on site and had a couple of extras if we needed them. They weren't the official vendor, but you could do a sketchy-looking paper bag exchange in the parking lot if you wanted. All of our motors were in original CTI packaging.

Of course, that wouldn't have helped if AMW was the vendor you had trouble with.

PS I don't work for AMW and am not otherwise associated except as a satisfied customer.

I'm just curious if you addressed the issue with the vendor.

I *do* have a business relationship
With AMW (they sell a product of mine), but I like them very much, and since they went through hundreds (thousands?) of TARC motors I would be shocked if you got anything out of date from them...their stock rotates through pretty quickly. In my experience as both a customer and supplier they have been great.

Our kids were in 5th place after the first round, then got an underperforming motor for their second flight and ended up at 32nd. The altimeter plot showed the second flight motor to not have the typical spike in velocity at liftoff as compared to the other 100+ or so flights that they had done previously.

Next year- different plans for the motors!

Pat,
We received CTI TARC motors in packs of 5. CTI sent us tubes and bags so we could separate them into singles that are properly packaged, because at the finals some teams didn't want 5 packs. I transcribed the exact date code from the original 5 pack. All motor were sold with CTI OEM packaging, labelling and correct motor codes.

My team placed 7th at TARC last year, making it the fourth year in a row our club has placed in the top 10. It was a lot of fun participating and meeting other teams, and especially seeing some higher power rockets launch. My TARC team has now moved on to Student Launch (perhaps someone has heard of Madison West?) and other freshies have replaced us in TARC - we hope they'll continue the trend! We're shooting for 3rd and 4th place, since those are the trophies we don't have yet ;)

Back