NSL 2015 - Summery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Reaction score
NSL_2015_01.jpg

WOW, what an event!

The day after and so many impressions are floating through my head... I had a blast, that is for sure!

NSL 2015 has to be the best event of this kind that I personally have attended.
I'd like to thank all who were involved in setting up and running this wonderful event! Great job everyone!

I've never met so many fine and friendly people at one spot. It was a pleasure for me having so many nice and interesting conversations.

I thought I had the furthest trip coming from Germany but I was beaten hands down.

NSL_2015_04.jpg

My compliments to the chef. This was the best food I have ever had on an event like this!

NSL_2015_06.jpg

I had great success with all my flights. No mishaps and all recovered to fly again.

My repaired Estes Maxi Alpha 3 had 2 nice flights:

NSL_2015_02.jpg

NSL_2015_03.jpg

My dual deploy 2-stage Estes Mongoose also had 2 very successful flights reaching 989 and 1080 feet:

NSL_2015_05.jpg

My personal most anticipated flight was my Estes Elliptic II launch.
The goal was to fly the smallest 2-stage model rocket with electronic dual deploy in an attempt for an unofficial world record.
I was extremely delighted that the whole flight was a complete success and a crowd pleaser as well.
The rocket reached an altitude of 246 feet with the main parachute deploying at 126 feet.
The altitude could have been higher but due to strong winds the rocket weather coked and thus didn't fly straight up.

NSL_2015_09.jpg

My 2-stage Estes Ascender with electronic 2nd stage ignition had one very successful flight.
The rocket reached an altitude of 1178 feet using a CTI F59 and Estes F15 motor:

NSL_2015_07.jpg

NSL_2015_08.jpg

I'll be posting more details with more pictures and videos in separate threads when I'm back in Germany.

If anyone was pictures and/or videos of any of my flights, please contact me via PM. Thanks.

Now to rest as these 3 days were very much fun but also very exhausting.... :D

Was really great seeing you again, Leo! Been WAY too long! Really happy all your flights were successful, they were a pleasure to watch, that's for sure!

Jon, glad you could make it to the event!

I think I have a launch video of your "small" rocket off the pad from Monday on video. I'll send it to when ready...

Yes it was great meeting you, and parking right beside you for the weekend. Your dual deploy micro flight was awesome!!!

Same here.. thanks!

The flight went great except for high wind gusts. It would have been perfect with no wind. A little rocket like that easily is prone to flying into the wind.

I think you ought to just move over to the US and have at it. We don't get to see you enough anyway. As I told you earlier, always great to have your around, and you sure know how to brighten up everyone's day.

I think you ought to just move over to the US and have at it. We don't get to see you enough anyway. As I told you earlier, always great to have your around, and you sure know how to brighten up everyone's day.

Thanks Gary. That is very kind of you! In fact you guys make it happen.

Here is the maiden flight of my Estes Astron Elliptic II. My Gopro doesn't have a zoom lens so the rocket is hard to make out in the video.

(Needs to be watched in full screen)
[YOUTUBE]nevqS49ucKc[/YOUTUBE]

I made a video of my Estes Ascender 2-Stage rocket that I flew at NSL 2015.
I had planed more flights with the rocket but time ran out.

(Watch in full screen)
[YOUTUBE]EfNwiJ5zRcM[/YOUTUBE]

Here some more assorted pictures I took...

My Estes Maxi Alpha 3 on the low power pad:
NSL2015_01.JPG

Nice fire ball of either an ejection charge or delay propellant:
NSL2015_02.JPG

Aliens need rest too...:
NSL2015_03.JPG

The flight line on Saturday:
NSL2015_04.JPG

Allen Maddan's Canaroc Orbitron and my Estes Mongoose 2-Stage with dual deploy recovery:
NSL2015_05.JPG

Rockets on mid power pads:
NSL2015_06.JPG

(I will edit this later)
NSL2015_07.JPG

A cool looking Interceptor:
NSL2015_08.JPG

Low power pad include my record breaking Estes Elliptic dual deploy 2-stage rocket:
NSL2015_09.JPG

Allen Madden's upscale Orbital Transport:
NSL2015_10.JPG

LW Bercini's Atomic Avenger takes to the sky:
NSL2015_11.JPG

High power pad preparation:
NSL2015_12.JPG

My Estes Ascender 2-Stage dual deploy ready for take-off:
NSL2015_13.JPG

My last flight from the event, the Estes Mongoose 2-stage with dual deploy recovery:
NSL2015_14.JPG

It saddens me to notice that hardly any pictures or videos have been posted from the event :(

I'm looking for any pictures or videos of my Estes Cold Power flight.

The rocket I flew looks like this:

Alpha_CP.jpg

I'd also appreciate any pictures or videos of my record Estes Elliptic II 2-Stage Dual Deploy flight.

The only picture I could find is this nice one:

Elliptic-II_DD_Kevin_Boyd.jpg

Thanks!

Here is a beautiful shot I found of my 2-stage Ascender taken by Kevin Boyd:

Ascender_PicKevin_Boyd.jpg

(In the picture I removed the racks that were standing left and right)

I'm sure that this isn't complete, but here's a list of places I've found on the 'net with photos and videos of NSL 2015.

Facebook:

Videos:

Night Launch:
[video=youtube;QRgazdAFloI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRgazdAFloI[/video]

Aerial:
[video=youtube;yihViW3qdRc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yihViW3qdRc[/video]

Estes Ascender:
[video=youtube;EfNwiJ5zRcM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfNwiJ5zRcM[/video]

Stills:

Blog Posts:

News Reports:

-- Roger

I hope to get to my photos next weekend. I have been busy at work and research the launch sites our members have suggested.

Thanks Roger. That's a good start!

Good luck on finding a new field Chuck! I'd like to come back in November to fly rockets again :)

Here a slow motion of the staging sequence from my Ascender flight:

[video=youtube;Hyas1LU4dn8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyas1LU4dn8[/video]

Back