Telemetrum Problems

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conman13

Reaction score
Ok so over the past 4 weeks I've tried contacting AltusMetrum about a problem with my brand new never used Telemetrum. I only got 2 responses from the 6+ emails and contact forms I submitted. In the last email I was told they would start and RMA for me to send it back and have it looked at. However its been a week since I last heard anything and still no response after yet another email sent Saturday. I'm not trying to rant but I was hoping that maybe they might see this thread.

Basically My Telemetrum will not connect to any satellites. I'm using the Teledongle running to my macbook air. I am using a 3 element yogi on the teledongle and the stock wire antenna on the Telemetrum. When I plug it in and turn everything on it connects just fine when in idle mode and I can see my device and the software shows data packets are being received every 3 seconds. However after leaving it alone multiple times for about an hour or so I come back and it hasn't connected to any satellites! Sometimes it will say 1 or 2 satellites are in view but it doesn't get any further then that. Does anybody have any idea as to what the problem could be?

Have you tried using it in another spot? It seems unlikely, but maybe there's just really bad GPS coverage at your house. Just a thought.

Nate

Are you outside? You can't expect GPS lock indoors.

Try running it with direct USB rather than RF (take your laptop outside and skip the Teledongle.)

Are you outside? You can't expect GPS lock indoors.

Try running it with direct USB rather than RF (take your laptop outside and skip the Teledongle.)

Yes I'm outside. Ive also tried multiple locations with the same results. How would you skip the Teledongle? You need the teledongle in order to receive the data and input it into the software.

So plugging the telemetrum in via USB does work perfectly. It seems it's my teledongle that must have pyro lens because it won't connect to the software.

Keep in mind that the Telemetrum has to be powered on in a vertical orientation or it comes up in idle and doesn't send any telemetry. You might want to try that.

From your last private message it sounds like you're having trouble with Monitor Idle mode when going through the TeleDongle, but doing that directly works ok? If so, you should test 'Monitor Flight' mode with the TeleMetrum in Pad mode and see if that works. If so, you probably just have a bum TeleDongle. We had a batch of bad chips from TI, and some of those could receive but not transmit, making Monitor Flight work fine, but Monitor Idle fail. Let us know what you find out and we'll make it right.

From your last private message it sounds like you're having trouble with Monitor Idle mode when going through the TeleDongle, but doing that directly works ok? If so, you should test 'Monitor Flight' mode with the TeleMetrum in Pad mode and see if that works. If so, you probably just have a bum TeleDongle. We had a batch of bad chips from TI, and some of those could receive but not transmit, making Monitor Flight work fine, but Monitor Idle fail. Let us know what you find out and we'll make it right.

Just sent you a PM. It sounds like what you said above is exactly right, I can data when in monitor flight mode but not in idle mode.

Not to hijack your thread, but you can add me to the list of trying to get a response from the TM guys. Sent my unit in (with authorized RMA) for repair/replacement four weeks ago and haven't heard a peep. Numerous emails go unanswered. This thread gave me some hope when I saw Keith responded here. Sent him a private message through TRF and again no reply. Hoping this will spark a response.

I've been a long time TeleMetrum user and advocate. The software is fantastic, the hardware can be temperamental at times. The decline in customer service is sad. I hope all is well with Keith and Bdale. They have great products, hope they get their act together. Although, the TM is still my GPS of choice (I have others), but until customer service improves I cannot recommend their products.

So they have my unit and LDRS is approaching. Hope I'm not left in the lurch.

...Fred

As you know, we got caught with a huge pile of bum hardware (like your TeleDongle) when we built new stock of TeleDongle and TeleBT with bad chips from TI to replace those lost in the fire. We've been busily repairing and replacing those boards, but frankly it's been a bit overwhelming, and for that we're sorry. I think we're almost caught up from that adventure, which should reduce the time we're spending fixing stuff. Before those boards, we'd had only a handful of hardware problems that didn't stem from kinetic events.

As you know, we got caught with a huge pile of bum hardware (like your TeleDongle) when we built new stock of TeleDongle and TeleBT with bad chips from TI to replace those lost in the fire. We've been busily repairing and replacing those boards, but frankly it's been a bit overwhelming, and for that we're sorry. I think we're almost caught up from that adventure, which should reduce the time we're spending fixing stuff. Before those boards, we'd had only a handful of hardware problems that didn't stem from kinetic events.

I was having this problem, too--and received my TeleDongle back today from Altus Metrum. I was able to monitor idle, acquire GPS lock, and remotely test the igniters (which, before, always caused AltOS to crash). I'm quite pleased, and look forward to flying this thing in Hellraiser.

Later!

--Coop

I purchased a TeleBT ages ago and used it about once. The next time I came to use it I was having trouble connecting the link. I used the TeleDongle I had since then, but receltly decided to get the BT running.

After stuffing around for ages with it I finally convinced myself the problem was with the TeleBT. Sort of seems a bit off frequency or something. Peculiar.

Took it to work and threw it on a spare Agilent CXA signal analyser. It worked fine when it was cold but as it warmed the behaviour went really weird.

OK
OK.png

Getting worse
GettingWorse.png

Bad
Bad.png

I can see why it was having trouble with the comms :(. Cooling the chip with a drop of aerosol made it work. Very specific to the device on the board (CC1111F32). Cooling anywhere else had no effect.

I reworked all solder joints around the edge of the chip but the behaviour persisted.

I messaged Keith P and he said this was in the original batch of bad chips and immediately offered a new TeleBT replacement. Thanks!

Back