Purdy sod farm launch May 31

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob jablonski

Reaction score
It's on again boys and girls. Indiana rocketry is once again flying in the summer at the Purdy Sod Farm. It will be in a different part of the farm (local members chime in). I will have the rocket wagon loaded up and ready to play.

Like us on Facebook

Forecast greatly improved from Monday to today. From 60% of rain down to 10%. And were still a few days out.

I'll be there! Or somebody else will have to haul the equipment trailer!;) Looking forward too seeing you again Bob! Thank-you always for your support of our humble club...

One thing to note is that we will be flying on our Purdy Sod location #2, slightly south/west of where we normally are. Class 1 only...keep it low and, fun!:D

Lets all hope for good weather and, i along with the club look forward to seeing you there!

Haven't decided if I am going to try and make it tomorrow. My vehicle had an overheating problem last weekend. Maybe if I avoid the interstate it will be fine. But, I have to leave early to get to baseball on time.

Working on Breakfast now....getting ready to head up north and, get the trailer soon.
We'll see what we have weather wise..going to interesting pulling the Club Trailer with the NEW Rocket Retriever!:lol:
Should be at the field by 9:30am.

Our first launch at our our NEW Purdy Sod Field turned out to be a great success with at least 33 flights! :D The weather looked rather ominous at first but, with the arrival of so many of our club members things stayed in check all day...

I tried to take a photo of almost every launch with my cell phone and, was going to include them with a Launch Report...
The problem was that i was able to download them but, not upload them here....That makes me angry. You would think that i could start to figure computers out...:pc:

So...Here's my launch report.

WOW! If you weren't there, you REALLY missed a great time! :D First off the pad to break in the new location was Tom Mcfee! He tore the sky up with his *Far Out Man!* rocket on an Estes E30-7T!
The next thing you know, our good friend and, vendor Bob Jablonski along with the esteemed Douglas Jackson started pulling out some rockets and, there was dog barf falling from the sky! :D
Not to be outdone, Richard Cash and, his lovely wife Connie started doing side by side drag races with many rockets from their extensive collection!
We had Estes 1/2 A's to G's flying everywhere and, i was running my butt off trying to get photos and, write down info as fast as i could! :D
Out of the blue the Cruz family (a Father/Daughter from Lafayette) showed up with their Estes Skywriter and, Estes Athena and, quickly depleted their entire inventory of Estes B6-4's! When that was done, we opened up the box of club motors and, let Tacy reload as fast as she could run her little legs off!
We even had members donating motors up to C6's to make sure that she had a LOONNGG walk to recover the Skywriter! So much enthusiasm! soooo much energy...
Good friend Tom Mcfee kept coming back up to the table with a boatload of homemade configurations to wow the crowd! :D Just too prove you can have alot of fun on a budget and, produce spectacular flights!
One of our members Bryan Stroud got real serious and, whipped out some serious firepower in the form of some small mid power rockets armed with Aerotech F motors! ;)
We had a plethora of pretty blue, white and, orange flames flying everywhere and, amongst it all young Tacy just kept racking her rockets over and, over again! :surprised:

*she wore my A$$ out...*

The local Police dropped by and, watched for awhile! The officer fondly recalled flying rockets with his younger son years back and, had a great time keeping security on the field for at least a half an hour! :rolleyes: We have friends in high places!

Bob Jablonski kept pulling out his arsenal and, recounting stories of days past along with showing us a few new things he was working on and, planning to sell in the future in the way of kits! :eek:

As fast as one rocket went off, we had another lined up to fly again! Tom, Richard and, Tacy just kept warming up the equipment and, wearing down the battery at the pad! So much we had to change the battery....

Then our Club President Curtis showed up.....With his daughter....

Did i say daughter? Wah...wah...wah.....:pWish i had a picture of that!

He pulled out his collection of vintage and, exciting Estes rockets (including his famed two staged Fatboy) and, sent some serious smoke rolling across the sod!
Things got real crazy when he pulled out the shorty Crayon rocket and, proceeded to make the air rumble with another spectacular launch! :surprised:

It pretty much slowed down to the point where it was Tacy and, Curtis trading off at the pad and, then silence....

We packed up and, said our goodbyes to our new home until next month and, retreated to the club *home away from home* (Wendy's on the Vets Parkway south) for some incredible bench racing and, plans-schemes and, dreams for the future!

Overall a GREAT day at our new low power site and, plans to return with even more exciting combinations/displays of low/mid power rocketry next month!

I want to personally thank all of our club members and, members for supporting us yesterday with SO many spectacular flights...and, all the help with the setup and, tear down!
Bob Jablonski from County Line Hobbies for coming down and, helping us out SO much with our needs and, supplying us with great products to get through the day, whenever we fly!
All the spectators and, our new neighbors for coming out and, really enjoying the show! Great too meet you all!:D
Richard Cash and, Curtis Reynolds for supplying me with an endless supply of Wendy's Chocolate Frosty's to keep me going! :p

On a personal note: We ARE getting CLOSER to finding a new High Power Field...I have personally looked at one of our two possible new locations and, i can say that by this fall...

I hope that we are announcing a new home to share with ALL of you when it comes to replacing Ash Grove! :eek: (that's some big shoes to fill....)
We have a great spot and, receptive land owner....with one of them so far....(That's really important!) Stay tuned!

We look forward to seeing you all at our June launch and, start getting the equipment ready....its going to be a great time! :cool:

Last edited:
Stories of days past? boy you know how to make a guy feel old. Just cuz my first rocket I built was when you were born dosnt mean I am old (just a little senile). On a more serious note I was glad I took the chance with the overcast sky (was I the only one to go deep in the clouds?) got to fly a few rockets and hang out and BS with some great folks.
You got the attached thumbnail figured out but this would be a LOOONG thread with one posting per picture. What did you end up with 60-70?
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
[email protected]
www.countylinehobbies.com
Like us on Facebook

Ok, last 3.
IMG_3519.jpgIMG_3566.jpgIMG_3681.jpg

Thanks Gus for taking the time to take all these, and share them.

Back