BMX Racing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Greene

Reaction score
Anyone here ever race back in the day , or just like to ride BMX bikes ??

I did for several years. This was back in the late 80's when it was really popular. I managed to win a National and several regional and local events. I rode a Boss and JMC although Redline, Titan, and Haro (sp?) were everywhere. In the rare event I come across a BMX event on TV nowadays I do enjoy watching it. Dude's are fast and it pretty much seems the race is won in the first 1/4 to 1/2 of the track. Steve Veltman was the big star back in my day and was sponsored by Boss and McDonald's. I took some lessons from him since he was a local guy. Not sure what ever came of him. Good times nonetheless.

Yup... and Freestyle. I still have my GT Pro Freestyle Tour Team Model from 1987. It's Fluorescent Pink!

Fluorescent pink! Man, I remember when that came on the scene. It was really cool. Not so much anymore, I guess... Yeah, GT was a big name. I seem to recall they were on the higher end?

I parted out my Profile from the early 80s and sold it on Ebay at ridiculous prices a couple years ago. Actually the bike was pretty crazy expensive bitd, so appreciation probably wasn't that great. Mostly I rode a quarter pipe that my friends dad built for us in his driveway, with no helmets of course. I rode a local race once when I was probably 12 and came in 3rd, but don't remember who sanctioned it and what not.

Good stuff- I rode late 70s early 80s in Central Fl back in the FBMX and ABA days. Had a co ride with Redline and raced a few Regionals and every weekend local.
Got back riding again and it gave me the itch for an old school Proline 2 . Anyone have advice on where to find one ?

Fluorescent pink! Man, I remember when that came on the scene. It was really cool. Not so much anymore, I guess... Yeah, GT was a big name. I seem to recall they were on the higher end?

My bike was 800 bucks in 1987.

Back