Telemega back up

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris97rockets

Reaction score
Is it possible to have the telemega act like the WRC+ system from missile works? Is there a way to communicate to the altimeter from the computer to act as a manual back up? I already have two rrc3 systems for the main/back up but would like a gps or another different safety measure. I've flown dual deploy before but I'm new to telemetry and this type of electronics so I don't know all the capabilities of them.

With the actual firmware it is not possible, the Telemega does not listen to the ground station if it is in flight mode.
But you could write your own firmware.

With the actual firmware it is not possible, the Telemega does not listen to the ground station if it is in flight mode.
But you could write your own firmware.

Only if the Telemega is a 70cm transceiver and can monitor/take commands/receive on the link. If it takes its commands via bluetooth only, it will not work at range no matter what.
If the radio receiver is not there on the hardware no one can write firmware for it to work. I have to qualify I don't own one so I expect only Keith or B'dal can answer this.
If you were looking for a backup panic system, I'd suspect an independent system would be more reliable. If the TM failed for whatever reason an "onboard" backup would likely not
work. Kurt

Last edited:
Only if the Telemega is a 70cm transceiver and can monitor/take commands/receive on the link.
It is and it can, but not in flight mode (thomas was 100% correct.) Firmware mods would be possible, but I agree that using an independent system would be preferable.

With two completely independent systems, you've already got your redundancy, and with the Telemega, you've got a Hell of a flight computer anyway... why not just hook it up and fly it, along with one of the RRC's?

While I can understand the desire for manual control, trust me, you've got an impressive array of electronics right there, and you're not going to control the parachutes from the flight line any better than they're going to from the av-bay.

Later!

--Coop

It is and it can, but not in flight mode (thomas was 100% correct.) Firmware mods would be possible, but I agree that using an independent system would be preferable.

Okay dokay. I still stand on having a second unit onboard like already pointed out. If the flight goes outta sight, won't have any idea what is going on without active telemetry anyways. Having a "backup" channel used on the same device really only covers for ematch failure or failure to fully deploy. But then again, everyone here does ground testing with at least two to three trials, right?:wink::lol: Kurt

Back