Dual Deploy altimeter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeyDSlagle

Reaction score
Snagged me a Hurricane 38 at a recent Hump Day Happy Hour Sale. It is already set up for dual deploy so I figured it would be a good time to start getting into dual deploy. I also have a Partizon I plan to use for dual deploy. I am not going for super high flights but with restricted field sizes I don't want my rockets to drift too far. And I just like the idea of dual deploy.

Been looking around at altimeters. Would just like folks thoughts on or experience with some altimeters.

PerfectFlite StratoLoggerCF $50.00 records velocity, altitude and air temp and can be hooked up to a computer, smallest of the bunch, plus a location beeper built in.

Missile Works RRC2+ $45.00 small size, records velocity, simple DIP switch settings

Adept22 $45.00 about the same as RRC2+ without the DIP switch for settings but has more settings to be used.

Adept Rocketry DDC22 $35.00 no it doesn't have peak altitude recording but that's cool. This would probably make a good back up as well.

And then of course there is the Eggtimer. Would have to buy a new soldering iron probably or at least a new tip for mine. Then I have to build it. I like electronics kits but haven't done one in a while. Maybe later. Any programming involved with this? Haven't done programming since the '90s.

Seems to me the StratoLogger would be the best bet (more bang for the buck) and RRC2+ a close second for no other reason than the simplicity of it.

And on the Stratologger site they show how to make E Match substitutes with Christmas lights. Has anyone tried this? Successfully? I have Christmas lights and plenty of black powder, I may have to try this tomorrow.

Thanks folks,
Mike

If your looking at the RRC2 go ahead and looks some more at the RRC3, easy to program, bench test, also has the option of using the altimeters beeper as a locator beeper, has an LCD screen accessory that makes retrieving data in the field nice, soon to have some more accessories like a telemetry unit, and other stuff. I have an RRC3 and love it.

As for the Eggtimer the Eggfinder TRS is an all in one package, altimeter,deployment, and tracking all for a great price, Conner (conman13) one of the members here charges like $25 or $30 to assemble and test the unit prior to shipping it to you. Members of my club have them and like them.

I like both RRC3 & Stratologger CF. both great products & great customer service.

I like both RRC3 & Stratologger CF. both great products & great customer service.
I will add that Adept, PerfectFlight AND MissileWorks have a long history of supporting hobby rocketry with quality products. You can't go wrong with any of the three and I have several models of each brand.

All are great products.

I also think you may wish to consider the RRC3. Though it is $20.00 more than the StratoLoggerCF, it has more features.

Both require a dongle to hook to the computer ($22.50 and $25.00 on top of the altimeter).

Correct me if I am wrong, but the StratoLoggerCF does not have a locator beeper. However you can add it to the RRC3 using the AUX output. The AUX output has other valuable uses that you can read about in the manual (on the website).

Either the RRC2+ of Perfectflite SLCF will handle the job with ease ideally using both for redundancy - but that is more than I could likely fit in a 38mm coupler or NC. No experience with Adept or any of the Egg products, but if only one altimeter between the SLCF and RC2 s to be used I would likely choose the Stratologger for the data. The RC2 is great but the only data post flight comes through counting beeps, whereas the SLCF can be hooked up through USB and the PerfectFlite DataCap software for data review, custom settings, battery diagnostic, altimeter diagnostic, and the ability to bench test the outputs with ease. The software is free and VERY user friendly.

One other option if willing to spend a little extra is an RRC3. I don't have the LCD, but the mDACS software is awesome and once you figure out the connection procedure easy to learn. Also, mDACS provides some data automatically that would have to be derived from an export to .csv for the SLCF, providing descent rate in fps under both drogue and main which has proven very useful and enlightening. Plus the RRC3 auxiliary channel provides options for noise makers, lights, air starts and staging should you desire - no personal experience with the aux channel but sent an email to Mr. Amos this morning regarding staging and will be starting a thread this summer about the experience.

RRC3 and SLCF- sled for 3"coupler & bench testing SLCF with DataCap+Christmas light.

See the attached spreadsheet for screenshots from both programs and data produced by the setup pictured on the same flight -RRC3 as primary SLCF as backup. The main things are don't rush decision making during fabrication and bench test everything with the setup YOU plan to use to verify functionality of the altimeter, switch, battery, etc together as one system BEFORE launch day. Any of the current DD altimeters are suitable with the "correct" unit being mostly a matter IMO of what you need for a safe flight 1st-budget 2nd-additional features and options 3rd - This has been a good system for deciding in my case but YMMV.

View attachment DataCap and mDACS comparison.xlsx

To answer the above question - the SLCF does have an onboard siren that warbles before every beep out of altitude and velocity that is supposed to aid in field location. My experience though is that there is not much to hear when on the ground inside a FWFG coupler or NC.

Last edited:
Good info Cory, thanks. Side by side comparison in the photo puts the size in perspective as well. I can't open the comparison file, my Excel doesn't recognize it.

The RRC3 wasn't on my list because of two reasons: size and price. I have "thumbed" through the manual but really can't see paying for the features I probably won't use. Not to mention the LCD is 40 bucks then add in the Dongle for another $25. For about that price I can get the Eggfinder trs and pay conman to build it, and would have GPS tracking. My Wildman Sport is setup for the computer to go in the NC and the RRC3 simply won't fit without modifications to the rocket and that includes adding weight to an already heavy rocket. Don't get me wrong I have eyed the RRC3 quite a bit and really like it, its just a bit pricey. Its double the price of the DDC22 which will do exactly what I need it to do with no frills.

The option to see how fast my rocket descends would be nice but really not worth 20 bucks ATM.

Cory, does the Stratologger log that info in the CSV file or does it log it at all? And what the heck program do I use to open such a file, Notepad?

Thanks for the info folks.

Using Excel 2010 in W7. I'll save the file in a more versatile compatibility so you can try again. The necessary DataCap software is included with the purchase of the altimeter, but you will need to purchase a DT4U to communicate with a PC via USB @$24.95 https://perfectflite.com/dt4u.html.

The file taken from the altimeter is initially loaded into DataCap to be saved with a ".pf2" file extension. I was mistaken and DataCap does not export directly to .csv rather the data is provided in an excel like format with easy options to copy and paste - I use Excel. Keep in mind velocity is calculated when using a barometric only altimeter not recorded. The actual data collected that can be copy & pasted is line by line sampling @ 20/sec with a columns for time, altitude, temp., and voltage. The attachment is the data pulled from the flight displayed in the screenshot if viewable.
View attachment DataCap and mDACS comparison.xlsx

View attachment pf2 export.xlsx

If still having issues PM me and we can try email of the files if you want.

You can use Notepad to open the Stratologger files. I open it in Notepad and then copy and paste it into Excel spreadsheet. Once you have a spreadsheet setup to analyze the data I just make copies of the file and then paste the data from each new flight into it.

The Christmas bulb thing works, but it can be a bit tricky. I have switched to Quest igniters and the small tubes that hold the powder that you get with Aerotech reloads. Cut a hole in the bottom of the tube, insert the igniter, seal it with a bit of hot glue and you're ready to add powder.

Egg Timer is easy to build. Interface is not fancy but for the cost is very worthwhile as long as a person doesn't mind building and is WILLING to read instructions.
Adept 22. Very nice basic unit for smaller rockets. Beware not to use this with Garmin Dog Trackers as the high (2 watt) Rf output will cause shutdown. If using other Rf trackers
ground test with bare ematches and turn everything on for 30 to 60 minutes. No popping or recycling of the the '22, probably O.K. for flight.
I have three Adepts and like them for simple flyers I don't expect to need an Rf tracker on. Kurt

Nice pictures Cory. I like the Featherweight switch but I have one caution. I found I can't feel if the phillips head is engaged and I "twisted" a switch to "bits" out in the field one time. Of course no flying that rocket that day.
I do better with a socket head screw and driver. Haven't had a problem since. You might have a better touch than I do. (Or a better set of Phillips screwdrivers!):smile: Kurt

Either the RRC2+ of Perfectflite SLCF will handle the job with ease ideally using both for redundancy - but that is more than I could likely fit in a 38mm coupler or NC. No experience with Adept or any of the Egg products, but if only one altimeter between the SLCF and RC2 s to be used I would likely choose the Stratologger for the data. The RC2 is great but the only data post flight comes through counting beeps, whereas the SLCF can be hooked up through USB and the PerfectFlite DataCap software for data review, custom settings, battery diagnostic, altimeter diagnostic, and the ability to bench test the outputs with ease. The software is free and VERY user friendly.

One other option if willing to spend a little extra is an RRC3. I don't have the LCD, but the mDACS software is awesome and once you figure out the connection procedure easy to learn. Also, mDACS provides some data automatically that would have to be derived from an export to .csv for the SLCF, providing descent rate in fps under both drogue and main which has proven very useful and enlightening. Plus the RRC3 auxiliary channel provides options for noise makers, lights, air starts and staging should you desire - no personal experience with the aux channel but sent an email to Mr. Amos this morning regarding staging and will be starting a thread this summer about the experience.

See the attached spreadsheet for screenshots from both programs and data produced by the setup pictured on the same flight -RRC3 as primary SLCF as backup. The main things are don't rush decision making during fabrication and bench test everything with the setup YOU plan to use to verify functionality of the altimeter, switch, battery, etc together as one system BEFORE launch day. Any of the current DD altimeters are suitable with the "correct" unit being mostly a matter IMO of what you need for a safe flight 1st-budget 2nd-additional features and options 3rd - This has been a good system for deciding in my case but YMMV.

To answer the above question - the SLCF does have an onboard siren that warbles before every beep out of altitude and velocity that is supposed to aid in field location. My experience though is that there is not much to hear when on the ground inside a FWFG coupler or NC.

Egg Timer is easy to build. Interface is not fancy but for the cost is very worthwhile as long as a person doesn't mind building and is WILLING to read instructions.
Adept 22. Very nice basic unit for smaller rockets. Beware not to use this with Garmin Dog Trackers as the high (2 watt) Rf output will cause shutdown. If using other Rf trackers
ground test with bare ematches and turn everything on for 30 to 60 minutes. No popping or recycling of the the '22, probably O.K. for flight.
I have three Adepts and like them for simple flyers I don't expect to need an Rf tracker on. Kurt

Interesting about the dog collar tracker. I don't plan on going high enough to need a tracker in the foreseeable future but good tip nonetheless. I read quite a bit on the eggtimer and like the options itboffers. Using a servo seems cool, could probably find a use for that. With the eggtimer it goes back to size. But I do have my eye on it to purchase later. For now im going with simplicity and the SLCF is simple, small and feature rich.

Mike

Interesting about the dog collar tracker. I don't plan on going high enough to need a tracker in the foreseeable future but good tip nonetheless. I read quite a bit on the eggtimer and like the options itboffers. Using a servo seems cool, could probably find a use for that. With the eggtimer it goes back to size. But I do have my eye on it to purchase later. For now im going with simplicity and the SLCF is simple, small and feature rich.

Mike

You can't go wrong with your Perfect Flite. I still (carefully) use an old MAWD. Haf'ta remember appropriate use of the Mach delay though.:wink: I believe older fliers can recount witnessing apogee deployments on ascent when
an unfortunate flier forgot to set the Mach delay. Usually very messy. Kurt

Back