I got to quote Ed Harris "Steely Eyed Missile Man" line to Clint Howard....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocket Al

Reaction score
A few weeks back I was on a film set in Middletown OH working makeup effects on a low budget horror/comedy film. I wasn't privy to a cast list, so I didn't know who all was involved was in the project. Imagine my surprise at lunch (1:00 AM during night shoots) when Clint Howard (Sy Liebergot from mission control on "Apollo 13") asked me if the seat next to me was taken. After introductions around the table I, of course, had to blurt out "You, sir, are a steely eyed missile man". Couldn't help it. Rocket boy since the 60's. Needed to be done. My statement was lost to the less informed at the table.

Clint loved it.

He proceeded to tell me about a NASA event that took place in San Diego a while back that all the early era NASA astronauts were at that he was a representative at for Ron Howard (Tom Hanks was there) where he met the real people who were in that were represented in the film. We went past the AD's "back in" because he wasn't done telling me about talking with the real folks who were there.

Just thought I'd share.

That's a cool story.

Some friends of mine ran into Ed Harris at the Monetery Bay Aquarium. They are like me --- can never remember the names of actors or even exactly what movie they are in. At one point they wanted to say hi to him, so it came out something like, "Hey, your that guy from that movie, aren't you? We're big fans!" Then for the rest of they day, they kept running into him at other places around Monterey --- even ended up passing him on the freeway headed home. I'm sure Harris though he was being stalked by morons.

Here is a picture of a Steely-Eyed Monkey Man:

Ham_the_chimp_%28cropped%29.jpg

Or is it a steely-eyed missile monkey?

Monkey-eyed missile man?

That's a cool story.

Some friends of mine ran into Ed Harris at the Monetery Bay Aquarium. They are like me --- can never remember the names of actors or even exactly what movie they are in. At one point they wanted to say hi to him, so it came out something like, "Hey, your that guy from that movie, aren't you? We're big fans!" Then for the rest of they day, they kept running into him at other places around Monterey --- even ended up passing him on the freeway headed home. I'm sure Harris though he was being stalked by morons.

Here is a picture of a Steely-Eyed Monkey Man:

Ham_the_chimp_%28cropped%29.jpg

Or is it a steely-eyed missile monkey?

Monkey-eyed missile man?

Nah, just a picture of me as a yoot.

If you were drinking some kind of orange drink you could have offered him some "tranya."

Please tell me someone here gets the joke.

One man's Tranya is another mans Orange Juice... or is it Tang?

Alan,

Great to see you post again! Hope all remains well with you and that you're working on fun stuff!

Steve

Back