AMW purple parrot rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kehoes23

Reaction score
So, I went and got another rocket kit. An AMW purple parrot kit, I believe this to be a fairly new kit from AMW.
I opted out the stock nose cone for an aluminum tip nose cone.
It's a three fin rocket with a 29mm motor mount and the body tube is one piece 38mm dia and believe to be about 24" long I'll have to measure when I have a chance, a tubular Kevlar shock cord and a purple parachute, but first a photo of the kit.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1432239671.096393.jpg

So far I cut a 10" piece of Kevlar, tied a knot on each end and epoxied each end on the inside shoulder of the nose cone. I then taped the remainder of the cord to the MMT and epoxied it on along with the two centering rings.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1432240066.318554.jpg
Note,
I'm using Aeropoxy for the build and 80 grit sand paper to sand the parts before gluing

The body tube is one piece with three slots cut for the fins, the slots where not wide enough for the fins to fit in, I had to sand the slots to fit the fins in.
The body tube is 38MM dia. by 22" long, with the nose cone on the rocket it measure 31 3/8" long.
This rocket will fly great on E and F motors and G if I'm brave enough to give that a go.

Here's Nick Southern's Purple Parrot, modified to be minimum diameter, on an I800 Vmax...

[video=youtube;YwNEI8ylBCA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwNEI8ylBCA[/video]

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1432428106.047299.jpg
The colors that I picked, purple for the fins, green for the body tube and black for the nose cone, I might use glitter paint for the purple and green, just not sure yet.

I got the nose cone shoulder epoxied in and did fillets on the motor mount tube and centering rings, later I'll do the other side of the centering rings with fillets and get the MMT epoxied in the body tube. I'm running low on my epoxy I hope I have enough to complete this build.

Since a 29mm motor tube will be glued into a 38mm body the centering rings are thin and wide, they are 1/8" X 1/4".
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1432563479.739078.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1432563496.853813.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1432741265.912080.jpg
Getting fins ready for sanding, the tape is to protect the rest of the fin.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1432741339.733716.jpg
The motor mount is epoxied in, the tape is to hold the fins in to keep the motor mount tube lined up when the epoxy dries, the fins are not glued in.

Looking really good, where are you going to be launching?

Looking really good, where are you going to be launching?

Thank you, if I get everything done I'll be launching at SOJARS, if not then at NEFAR. My family and I plan on moving to Florida by years end.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1432827630.361279.jpg
Got the aft end CR epoxied. With such a tight space I had to work the epoxy in to reach the CR. I'll need to get a syringe so I can inject internal fillets, I think that I have enough epoxy to do just that.

monoject 412 is the ticket...
attachment.php

016.JPG

Wanted to finished building the parrot rocket but I wound up doing this instead.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1433300554.982349.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1433300568.032885.jpg
Had to replace both upper and lower ball joints on my truck, next up will be the outer tie rods, but first I have to finish the rocket build.

Ok, got back to the build.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1433708571.657618.jpg
Here is the syringe I'll be using to inject epoxy for the internal fillets.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1433708633.295073.jpg
I use tape to keep all the holes I'll be using to inject epoxy in line, there is no purpose to do it like this it's a personal preference. I also drilled pilot holes.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1433708799.296332.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1433708840.692034.jpg
First fin tacked on
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1433708871.102504.jpg
All three fins tacked on, it's now looking like a rocket. The next step will be to inject the epoxy for internal fillets.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1433939549.944771.jpg
Quick tip:
If your epoxy is flowing ridiculously slow, then put the cans in a pot of warm water to make it to flow easy, the warmer the water the faster the epoxy flows.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1433939801.096675.jpg
Got the first set of internal fillets on, not sure if it's the small space or the age of my epoxy, but the epoxy is not flowing like it supposed to, maybe it needs more time.

Due to the tight space and the age of my epoxy, the internal fillets didn't flow as expected, they just stayed at the injection spot. Next up,the external fillets.

From time to time I lose interest in rocketry, not enough to get out of the hobby. Right now is one of those times. At the moment I have a lot going on, with the kids out of school, the anticipation of moving, starting a new job, finding a place to live and joining a new rocket club and getting the cars ready as well.
I'll post when I do rocket building but for now no rocket building. 😢

Yes I checked out your thread. I am building a similar rocket to see if I can get any higher than you did. I was surprised that you felt surface finish was such a significant element; I would assume if one simply flow coated the tube with a bit of thin epoxy it would be adequate, with some fillets of course. I have had problems with the fly away guides hitting the leading edges of the fins also.

Just finished mine. I was not impressed by the quality level of the kit. Fin slots were 1/2 as narrow as they needed to be. Took a Dremel and some time to fix that. FG MMT rings looked like they were cut with a chop saw... also needed some work.
Here's the SIM file. Mine's in primer right now.

Attachments

• AMW 38mm Purple Parrot.ork
    3.4 KB · Views: 21
Back