Eggfinder Help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H_Rocket

Death by Powerpoint
Reaction score
I got my Eggfinder from Connor today. Tried to get it set with the LCD and I think they are on different channels.

1) What is the default channel for a TX
2) Where do I look for how to set the frequency on the RX/LCD to match?

Yes I could RTFM however I was hoping someone had this info at their fingertips.

OK.... completely off topic... but I had to google what RTFM meant and I got an XKCD comic.
rtfm.png

Back on topic. Standard is 925MHZ.

The original default was 915MHz, "ID 0". Are you sure you didn't specify a different frequency when you ordered it? I'm not sure if they still only send the default frequency unless you ask for something different, or if they're trying to distribute TX's within the range of allowed frequencies.

The Eggfinder (again unless you ask for something special) only supports ID 0, so there aren't many frequencies to try on the LCD, you could just try each one and find the one that works.

To change the LCD's RX frequency, press the button while it's displaying its second screen (where it shows its frequency and battery voltage). It will beep and go to its configuration screen, where you first pick the distance units. A normal 'tap' of the button will change the current setting, holding the button for about 5 seconds will move to the next configuration option (this process seems more touchy than the normal LCD/TRS interaction for some reason). When you get to the last step (the ID, again leave this at 0 if using an EF TX) and do the hold there, it will save the changes and tell you to reset the LCD, so power-cycle it then, and it will boot at the new frequency. If you can see the LCD's board you should see the LED on the Hope RF module (right behind the antenna) blink whenever it receives a signal, so if you have the Eggfinder already on it will be sending messages once a second (with a longer packet every 5 seconds), so once you find the right frequency you'll see the LCD's LED blinking once a second even before you get through the startup screens (and especially 'Waiting for sync' for the TRS, which really slows things down if you're using an Eggfinder instead).

I'll note (feedback I provided long ago) that the 'Waiting for Fix' screen shows until the Eggfinder has a GPS fix, so you may have a good serial link between the two devices but if the EF won't lock the GPS you'll never see anything on the LCD (but the blinking LED would at least confirm the signal is being received, at this point I forget whether it beeps every time it gets a packet from the TX, I believe it does but perhaps that's only after lock as well). I had suggested that this screen should give some extra status, like where the GPS lock process was (I'm getting signal from a TX, it's gotten time from GPS, it has the almanac, 0-2 satellites locked, etc). But today it only says "Waiting for Fix" until the GPS module is reporting GPS coordinates.

Exactly what will said. Check the top right corner I should have written the freq. There

Which I learned from googling. I now have a new favorite abbreviation. :)

Ok

Per Connor, the beacon was @ 919 and the RX was at 915. All better now.

I see the followiing on the RX

41:39:5 3
-72:38:5 110

I presume this is Lat & Long in DDD:MMM:SSS and some sort of signal strength indication.

Thanks for the jump start guys.

Ok

I presume this is Lat & Long in DDD:MMM:SSS and some sort of signal strength indication.

Yes you can also change how you see the coordinate. Personally I just use Degrees. The 3 is the # of satellites its connected too. I think its after its connected to 10 the 1slights on the egg finder will light up and blink every 1sec

Ok

The top line is the Latitude, plus the number of satellites (there's a bar graph there that you didn't show that displays the quality of the fix). To the right of that would be the number of seconds since your last fix if you hadn't received one for over 5 seconds, OR the deployment channels status if you were using a TRS.

The second line is the Longitude, then the altitude. If you have a TX it's going to be the GPS-reported ASL reading, which you have to take with a grain of salt because the accuracy depends on the position of the satellites and their number (with 3 satellites it may not be very good). If you have a TRS, it's the AGL reading from the baro sensor, which is going to be very accurate.

You can tell the GPS format from the colons or decimals: nn.n is Degrees (plus the decimal degrees), nn:nn.n is Degrees:Minutes (plus the decimal minutes), and nn:nn:n Degrees:Minutes:Seconds (no decimals here). Degrees-only will give you the best precision, theoretically, but in reality it doesn't matter that much which one you choose as long as it matches the app on your phone/tablet that you're using for navigation.

Back