Estes 1927 Aries SST scans wanted

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rharshberger

Reaction score
I am wanting to build the Aries SST one of my favorite Estes kits of all time, again. I am aware and have downloaded the planes from the JimZ site, however they don't have rulers or a way to scale the parts so when printing everything comes out in different size and knowing which is the right one is a pain. If anyone has better scans of all the parts, decals, fins, paper or can make them with a ruler to get the scale correct, I and others would appreciate it.

DSC_0095.jpg

It looks like the PNC-50S is pretty rare. It was only available in the kits 1389 Sandpiper and 1927 Aries SST according to my notes. Unless JumpJet brings it back in some new kit, the only source I know of is a 3D printed copy on Shapeways. It is very expensive for a nose cone, but it may be the only game in town.

It looks like the PNC-50S is pretty rare. It was only available in the kits 1389 Sandpiper and 1927 Aries SST according to my notes. Unless JumpJet brings it back in some new kit, the only source I know of is a 3D printed copy on Shapeways. It is very expensive for a nose cone, but it may be the only game in town.

I was busy linking the Shapeways site when you replied, and you are correct indeed, however when I do this kit I will find one even if I have to pay the $15.50 that guy wants.

Is there any viable way to make this out of balsa?

If we had canard plans I could see doing it that way. Anyone up for a new project?

If someone could get a pattern for the canard and a measurement from the base, we could do this.

Good plan all we really need to know is what the original nose cone the PNC-50S is based from and then the measurements to recreate the canard locations.

Good plan all we really need to know is what the original nose cone the PNC-50S is based from and then the measurements to recreate the canard locations. I really wish I knew where the pieces of my original Aries SST vanished to.

The PNC-50S appears to have started life before canards as PNC-50Y as both are exactly 4.35" long. Working on getting the Canard location and sizes now.

And now for the pièce de résistance, measurements from an original PNC-50S

View attachment BT-50Saccurate.pdf

Last edited:
The PNC-50S appears to have started life before canards as PNC-50Y as both are exactly 4.35" long. Working on getting the Canard location and sizes now.

And now for the pièce de résistance, measurements from an original PNC-50S

View attachment 264194

Very Nice... Mind you, that's the PNC-50Y Blowmolded nosecone, and not the later injection molded version.

I might be able to sim that nosecone in OR sometime later. Mind you, it'll probably not sim well for flight performance and have at least one error message (Warning: Discontinuity in body tube). However, if I can sim the Jayhawk NC, this shouldn't be too hard.

11763788943_8129cec1e4_c.jpg

Last edited:
You'll need to make the tip the nosecone, then follow that with the transition.

Mind you, the odd thing about designing nosecones like that in OR, is that the rounded off bit will appear (in the sim) to bulge at the NC/Transition joint. I haven't found a thing that will correct that yet.

Well, not much that I can think of to fix that... go ahead and take a screen shot and show us whatchagot.

BTW how'd you do the .pdf file? That looks really slick.

Well, not much that I can think of to fix that... go ahead and take a screen shot and show us whatchagot.

BTW how'd you do the .pdf file? That looks really slick.

Print the drawing and rescan as a .pdf :), I find pdfs soooo much easier to rescale.

Very nice looking... So, where's the .ork?

Right here: View attachment BestPNC-50S.ork

One thing I didn't take into account was the straight section right at the base of the main diameter. It looks OK but I will eventually get around to correcting it. Looks like a PNC/BNC-50Y is going to be the starting point on this nose cone as its 4.35" exposed according to Balsa Machining.

Last edited:
Ok, I played with it a little... I fixed what I could find right off. I eliminated the body tube and conic section at the end (it prevents the use in sims), added a shoulder to the transition, changed everything to polystyrene, and fixed the thickness of the NC to what I get with my calipers and my sample of the PNC-50Y (blowmolded).

Estes PNC-50S

View attachment Estes PNC-50S.ork

I plan on designing this nose cone as a 3D design in STL format and posting it within a week or so. Keep an eye out for it in the 3D printing section of the forum.

Back