Anodizing service?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patelldp

Reaction score
Does anyone here on the forum offer an anodizing service to other rocketeers? I'm not looking for production level anodizing, just a dude with a few tubs, a battery and an anode or two.

I intend to make myself a couple of retainer plates for an upcoming build. The plates will be 4" on the OD, 3" and 2" on the ID (1 each) and have three mounting holes 120 degrees apart, so plenty of places to hang them in the bath.

If anyone is willing to anodize these parts, let me know! I'm relatively agnostic to color choice, but clear would be more than adequate.

If u can't find someone local, I always use Colors Inc in Indianapolis, they do small orders but they do have a minimum charge

Check and ask Don Huff. He recently sold off most all of his EX hardware a month or two ago so he may have got rid of his plating equipment too. He had a thread a while back in the Research section about anodizing his bulkheads. Looked like they came out pretty good.

Also Curtis at Rocketry Warehouse may do small batches.

By the way I have not talked to Curtis about this recently but am also again looking for a small batch shop for the custom plates I have been getting requests for.......

A couple words of wisdom on commercial anodizing.

IMO there is no advantage with Type 3 versus Type 2 anodizing as the oxide layers are identical, only the thickness is different. Type 2 anodizing produces a 1-2 mil oxide layer in a room temperature bath. Type 3 anodizing produces a 2-8 mil oxide coating in a refrigerated bath and costs roughly 3 times what Type 2 anodizing cost.

Anodizing adds oxygen to the surface in a controlled manner to convert the aluminum to sapphire. Sapphire is hard and prevents further oxidization of the aluminum. The density and moilecular weight of aluminum oxide is ~3.95 and 102 respectively and the density and atomic weight of aluminum is 2.7 and 27 respectively. For every mil of surface converted from aluminum to aluminum oxide, the surface rises 0.3 mil: (2.7/3.95)*(102/54)=1.3 mils thick. 1.3 - 1 = 0.3 mils per mil of penetration.

Anodizing increases the part OD and decreases the part ID. You may have to alter your part dimensions if you anodize or the part will not fit.

Basket anodizing is a batch process. The price you pay is for the batch run should not change whether your are anodizing one part or 100 parts.

Anodizing is a 3 step process: part cleaning/etching; anodizing; and coloring and sealing.

Anodizing produces a clear coating. Sealing is accomplished by placing the parts in boiling water of several minutes to seal the pores. Dyes can be added to the water during the sealing process to provide color.

For high heat applications, you want to use inorganic dyes for color. If you use an organic dye, they will eventually oxidize and bleach out.

Bob

you might just contact a local shop. The near me is like $70-90 a basket. By the time you ship it around it might not be a bad option.

Chances are you have a metal plating shop with a half hour of your house...

Bob

Back