V2 Color Scheme

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've revised my drawings. Here are corrected versions of the German paint patterns:

V-2 color German 63 Early Tests.jpg V-2 color German 62 Later Tests.jpg V-2 color German 62 Camouflage.jpg

I just did another fix on the first drawing--it should now match the corrected drawing below, with one side of one fin white. the older wrong version appears below as an attached thumbnail because I don't know how to get rid of it.

Attachments

• V-2 color German 59 Early Tests.jpg
    V-2 color German 59 Early Tests.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 754
Here are the next three White Sands drawings. The bottom rows of the last two pages depict "Blossom" rounds that are stretched by one diameter:

V-2 White Sands Middle 11 Sandy and 28.jpg V-2 White Sands Middle 11 Nos 43 and 41.jpg V-2 White Sands Middle 12 Nos 56 and 31.jpg

Here are the last two of my White Sands drawings. By the way, there are a couple of rounds that were in Rockets of the World that are not here, because my photo coverage of them was incomplete.

V-2 White Sands Late 17.jpg

The greatness of TRF. Ask for an assist on an old rocket and you get Peter Alway unloading both barrels. Thank you ! That White Sands No. 59 is speaking to me. BUY BONDS ! :)

I've decided my 5.5" R2 is going to be White Sands #31. Good thing I've got plenty of masking tape! After that I need to replace my lost Estes V2. That was a White Sands #3 replica and I'm inclined to the next one the same way.

I've decided my 5.5" R2 is going to be White Sands #31. Good thing I've got plenty of masking tape!

Ok, I'll say it - AWESOME BLOSSOM !

After that I need to replace my lost Estes V2. That was a White Sands #3 replica and I'm inclined to the next one the same way.

Sounds like a plan. Hard to make a wrong choice. How was it lost ?

I think my Estes V2 flew too close to the sun.:) It was powered by an F35-8 RMS so it was up there, around 2000' or so based on another flight with that same motor.

I've decided my 5.5" R2 is going to be White Sands #31. Good thing I've got plenty of masking tape! After that I need to replace my lost Estes V2. That was a White Sands #3 replica and I'm inclined to the next one the same way.

Just looking over that drawing again, I see I left off a major source for those colors in the list of sources--James Duffy's V-2 video that comes with his V-2 kit. I think you can get the V-2 video by itself from his "Rocket Aero" company. He's actually posted some of it here: [video=youtube;4U6YjPSiH3Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U6YjPSiH3Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U6YjPSiH3Q[/video] The flight No. 31 stuff starts around 11:40.

Peter Alway

And I just discovered a mistake in the first drawing of the early German test flights. I discovered a photo online that clearly showed one side of one fin as white. I went back to my other photos, and realized that they also showed it, though that fin was half-hidden in the one shot that showed it. I went through all of my sources to make sure the other 3 fins, and the other side of that fin, were indeed black, and did this corrected drawing:

V-2 color German 63 Early Tests.jpg

Peter, thank you for providing this wealth of information. I am currently finishing up my second Estes V2 where I cut scale fins out of basswood which is proving to be a time consuming endeavor. I also picked up a Loc Precision 3.90" V2 and will get started on that soon. Looking at your photo of flights V2 and V4 would it be best to paint the model before the fins are attached? It seems to me that masking would be easier done this way. Sorry for such a rookie question. I started a Facebook group for those interested in models of military rockets https://www.facebook.com/groups/scalemilitaryrocketmodelers/
Thanks again

Back