Ideas for a 49ers themed rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThirstyBarbarian

Reaction score
My nephew is coming for a visit and wants to launch some rockets, so I am planning to make him a gift rocket to keep. He is a big football fan, and his favorite team is the 49ers. I usually make Maxi Alpha Threes as gift rockets, because they are big and have a lot of room for custom decorating. Anyone got any ideas? Anyone made any team-themed rockets before?

One issue I see right away is that this probably calls for team colors, and unfortunately SF colors include gold. Metallics are notoriously hard to work with, or end up very fragile and prone to damage. Anyone have any gold paint recommendations that hold up better than Rustoleum Bright Coat Chrome? I haven't used their golds, but I'm not optimistic.

Any thoughts on overall design? I was thinking maybe on the body tube adding his name in jersey nameplate font. Maybe bracketed by three rings in the same color, like the three stripes on the jersey sleeves.

I'm sure I can get some logo stickers that will work.

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks!

You've seen this one haven't you?

Sharks Rocket.jpg

That was the first rocket I built in ~14 years. It reminded me why I didn't do fancy multicolored paint jobs. :wink:

It's too bad Mark at StickerShock isn't available right now. You could do a wrap and just paint the NC and fin can. BAM! Instant cool sports team themed rocket.

Here are a few other MAIII's I've done as gifts for people.

I'm thinking the body tube in red, with white lettering for the jersey-style nameplate text, and 3 white rings similar to the two rockets on the right side of the photo. I'm thinking to bring in the gold on the nosecone and fin can. Maybe the logo stickers can go on the fins.

If anyone else has ideas, let me know.

MAIII-group.jpg

I agree the gold is an issue. I assume your gonna rattle can it. If it where me I'd look for a sort of mustard color to spray. Having said that, you might try gold and then clearing it. It most likely would knock the metallic look down(same as silver) but might make it the right tone. Don't forget some black to boarder it--makes the colors pop.

You've seen this one haven't you?

View attachment 263712

That was the first rocket I built in ~14 years. It reminded me why I didn't do fancy multicolored paint jobs. :wink:

It's too bad Mark at StickerShock isn't available right now. You could do a wrap and just paint the NC and fin can. BAM! Instant cool sports team themed rocket.

Yes, I do remember that one, and it turned out really nice. Where did you get the Sharks decal? is it vinyl? The MAIII is smaller than the Leviathan, so I can't get stickers that are too big. I'd like to bring my nephew's name into the design, so it is truly customized for him.

It is too bad Mark is out of commission, because I know he could really do a great job with this.

I like the one on the right as a starting point. Why not try some vertical stripes?

This is a rusto product that might work. I've worked with this Stops Rust Metallic line before, and it is not as problematic as the Bright Coat stuff. I've used the red in this line, and it is red with a slight sparkle, not too glittery. Maybe the Gold Rush or Burnished Brass would work? If possible I'd like to stick with paints of a similar line. I know from experience, nothing sicks to the Stops Rust Metallic, except more Stops Rust Metallic.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/stops-rust/metallic

The Bright Coat gold or the Stops Rust gold?

Dunno...I don't use gold at all. I use the metallic black and metallic charcoal. In my experience the best clear coat to use is the Stops Rust Crystal Clear Enamel.

You might also consider using Testor's in the mini spray cans. Expensive but it it's only for trim it's not a big deal. I've only ever used the Lime Ice and Plum Crazy Purple but they produced spectacular results.

Here's an interesting decal. It seems kind if rockety, but I'm not sure how it would integrate into an overall design.

41ssMW%2BRn2L._SY355AA355_PIcountsize-2,TopRight,0,0_AA355_SH20_.jpg

Available at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009ZJDQNU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunno...I don't use gold at all. I use the metallic black and metallic charcoal. In my experience the best clear coat to use is the Stops Rust Crystal Clear Enamel.

You might also consider using Testor's in the mini spray cans. Expensive but it it's only for trim it's not a big deal. I've only ever used the Lime Ice and Plum Crazy Purple but they produced spectacular results.

The Bright Coat silver and chrome definitely don't take clear coat well. Maybe the Bright Coat gold can. I'll check on that. The Stops Rust Metallic stuff that is more a metal flake like look really takes clear coat well and looks great, as long as metal flake is what you want. That's what I used on the pod rocket --- silver, red, black, and blue, all of them metallic and then clear coated.

according to the monokote website, one can get gold chrome(TOPQ4107) in a trim sheet. also the stuff stays looking good for a long time.
Rex

[youtube]42n8tjXjfmw[/youtube]

My dad's L1 rocket was a red and gold 49ers aerotech strong arm. He was going to order some decals, but never got around to it before it met it's demise.

Braden

Screen Shot 2015-05-20 at 2.04.20 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2015-05-20 at 2.06.34 AM.pngScreen Shot 2015-05-20 at 2.07.52 AM.pngScreen Shot 2015-05-20 at 2.04.06 AM.png

With the right red and white, perhaps black, I bet these tans & khakis would read fantastically. One trip to Home Depot, some masking tape, and, Done.

The Bright Coat silver and chrome definitely don't take clear coat well. Maybe the Bright Coat gold can. I'll check on that. The Stops Rust Metallic stuff that is more a metal flake like look really takes clear coat well and looks great, as long as metal flake is what you want. That's what I used on the pod rocket --- silver, red, black, and blue, all of them metallic and then clear coated.

Thirsty, instead of using a clear coat. Use rod finishing epoxy. It's Flexible, very hard and is UV protectants. It will stay glossy for years.

49ers? I'd glue in the nose cone and fly plugged motors so you're always losing it. :p

Sorry, just kidding. I route for the other Harbaugh.

Actually, Harbaugh left, didn't he? Please delete this post and a God-awful attempt at humor.

Metal Flake Vinyl
I've Bought from this seller before, great company and quality produtcs. They have tons of different colors and patterns. I used the black metal flake on my Ravens themed Mega Der Red Max (see my album, theres a shot of the fins.)

I would put three 18 or 24mm motor pods on the tube between the fins for a decent four motor cluster. Pod nosecones painted like footballs or Lombardi trophies. Label the pods Walsh, Montana and Rice. Fins covered in denim (would anyone get it?). A big hunk of plastic weld on the tip of the nose cone shaped like a gold nugget and acting as nose weight (OMG what will it do to the CP? very dangerous!). Gold Flash Pan blast deflector for effect (I still don't get it, this rocket is about football right?) Instead of the required 5-4-3-2-1-START say 1-8-4-9-LIGHT THAT CANDLESTICK! If most members of your club are Raider Fans you are probably going to be banned anyway, so go for it! Just say your next one will be black and silver with lots of skulls glued to it.

Thanks for all the ideas, everyone! I'll take look at some of the suggested paints and non-paint products. I think one of the first steps will be to get some decals or stickers to see exactly what color palette I should be aiming for. Then I'll plan out the overall design. I hope to be posting some pics in a couple of weeks.

The 49ers are incorporating a lot more black and even have a black uniform now, for some occasion. I don't like it:2:
49ers-black.jpg

Back