Payload question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackball74

Reaction score
I recently built my first payload-capable rocket (a Magician) and was surprised that the instructions for keeping the nosecone on just mentioned using tape. This seems a bit low-tech to me, but several other rocket instructions I looked at mentioned the same thing. Is there a model out there that uses a screw-on or twist-lock nosecone?

The Estes Omloid (2078) has a screw together payload section

The Estes Sandhawk (K-51), and its variants, had a twist lock payload section (but it was really weak).

Last edited:
One could assume that a screw-on NC would require something threaded to screw into, which would be thicker and heavier than the standard Estes BT, and might not be worth the trade-off. I had a Pro Series II E2X Ascender that recommended masking tape. I think that is the standard unless something else is in view.

One could assume that a screw-on NC would require something threaded to screw into, which would be thicker and heavier than the standard Estes BT, and might not be worth the trade-off. I had a Pro Series II E2X Ascender that recommended masking tape. I think that is the standard unless something else is in view.

Also use the older type white-ish masking tape, its a little stickier so it holds better, I use it for payload bays and ejection charge wells because it sticks better.

Tape is usually good enought for LPR. Usually the nosecone doesn't have enough weight to cause either drag separation or to fall out on descent. MPR/HRP rockets often use removable plastic rivets.

Tip if you are going to use (and particularly re-use or re-tape) rockets.
Place a ring of clear cellophane (or if you like the color, Mylar) tape where your holding tape will go. In this case one piece around the base of the nose cone and a second around the front of the body tube. This give you a "base" which you can firmly attach your masking tape across the joint, and when you take the masking tape off you don't need to worry about peeling off the paint with the masking tape.
since I scratch build a lot and I don't like engine hooks, I use the at the base of the rocket so I can put some tape over the protruding quarter inch or so of the engine for added insurance on top of my friction fit retention.

Back