Need a source.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
I need to look cate a reliable and affordable source for SS and aluminum rods for launch pads.

My local club needs new rods and we are desperately avoiding steel like the plague.

Nothing wrong with plain ol' steel, if it's taken care of properly.
A 3M scotch brite pad (7447) in red (400 grit) in the spring and well coated rod with graphite powder will last a long time.
Wipe it down after each launch and dust the inside of lugs or over the buttons.
A good coating of graphite at the beginning of each launch.
I've got steel rods about 40 years old and they shine like new.
SS is stiffer, but impossible to remove dents. Plain steel easy to straighten.
Just my take on things.

Your local Grainger or https://www.mcmaster.com/ (your are within 200 miles of Atlanta so you should receive your McMaster-Carr order in 1 day by UPS ground if you get your order in by 6 PM).

Bob

Try your local steel supplier they usually can sell you a 12' section for less than the other sources 4' section, I know I used to work for one, bonus is no shipping. If they don't carry them in stock they can usually have them within 3 days. Usually Stainless Rounds are sold in 145" lengths (approximately) and 1/8" was quoted to me by my local source (Pacific Steel, Pasco, WA) at about $3 per 12' and they will cut them to the length I require if needed. Unless you have a need for aluminum for some reason SS is much better.

Last edited:
Back