OpenRocket and compatible Operating Systems

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swampworks

Reaction score
Looking to buy a new laptop and want to get something that will work with OR. I've read somewhere that it has some trouble with some operating systems. Can someone give me some reliable info on which of the current systems work well, or point me to a source for this info?

Thanks!

I think it is more a matter of the installed Java version.

+1 I agree. I've run OR on Windows 7 and 8 and have not had any issues. I did run into an issue with my Java not being updated at first....but once I updated that - I was fine.

My workshop computer runs OpenRocket on Ubuntu and it works fine.

I run OR on various Linux distros and OSX with no trouble. I do generally keep to the latest Oracle Java version, but I've never had any problems.

I run OR on Vista and Windows 7 - no problems whatsoever. Like others have said, it is JAVA dependent. Download and install the latest version of JAVA, and you should be fine no matter the Operating System platform...

Looking to buy a new laptop and want to get something that will work with OR......

I can confirm that it works with Mac OSX as well. And to be specific about the java thing, the codebase is written to be compatible with java 1.7 (just checked). That being said, it should be compatible with 1.8 (the latest version).

For reference, if you have problems with the latest JRE, try the older one:
https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7-downloads-1880261.html

Back