The Grammar Police

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Byrum

Overstable By Design
Reaction score
I don’t miss them. Either they just decided it was a lost cause, or they migrated over to that other place. Fine by me! Even though I proof read everything I type, I still make mistakes. You might not see an error typo that you made, or you even confused “dual with duel.” Does it really matter? It’s easier to laugh it off than to jump on your soap box and preach. Hell, I’ve caught one of them red handed for using bad grammar, when they were one of the worst critics. Pretty sure I was responsible for putting a stop to that one, because I confronted him with his own bad grammar. Anyhoo, they don’t seem to be around anymore. Anyone else notice that?

We had grammar police? Guess I was too busy splitting infinitives to notice.

I don’t miss them. They have either decided that the cause was lost, or they have migrated over to that other place. This is fine by me! Even though I proofread everything that I type, I still make mistakes. You may not see an error typo that you made, or you've even confused “dual with duel.” Does it really matter? It’s easier to laugh it off than to jump on your soapbox and preach. Hell, I’ve caught one of them red-handed for using bad grammar, when they were one of the worst critics. I am pretty sure that I was responsible for putting a stop to that one, because I confronted him regarding his own bad grammar. Regardless of these circumstances, they don’t seem to be around anymore. Has anyone else noticed this?

I don’t miss them. They have either decided that the cause was lost, or they have migrated over to that other place. This is fine by me! Even though I proofread everything that I type, I still make mistakes. You may not see an error typo that you made, or you've even confused “dual with duel.” Does it really matter? It’s easier to laugh it off than to jump on your soapbox and preach. Hell, I’ve caught one of them red-handed for using bad grammar, when they were one of the worst critics. I am pretty sure that I was responsible for putting a stop to that one, because I confronted him regarding his own bad grammar. Regardless of these circumstances, they don’t seem to be around anymore. Has anyone else noticed this?

???

I don't know....though "Be A X-Wing Pilot" is supposedly correct..."Be An X-Wing Pilot" sounds better...

FC

Man I hate the speelink and grammer powlice. Seriously did we have some TRF members pointing out spelling and grammatical errors in posts? Maybe one of them was my wife, she is a teacher and for somereason seems to be incapable of turning off "teacher" mode...drives me nuts.

HA! I see what ya did there

:sigh::sigh:

HA! I see what ya did there

Anyhoo, they don’t seem to be around anymore.

What's that old saying about 'you shouldn't try to wrestle a greased pig, you waste too much of your own effort and end up accomplishing little or nothing.....and the pig enjoys it too much'?

Actually, poor grammar, vocabulary, and communication skills form a more subtle layer of discrimination than most people realize. You can fail on an employment application, when asking for a date, or in any number of activities in "real" life, and never understand why......

What's that old saying about 'you shouldn't try to wrestle a greased pig, you waste too much of your own effort and end up accomplishing little or nothing.....and the pig enjoys it too much'?

Actually, poor grammar, vocabulary, and communication skills form a more subtle layer of discrimination than most people realize. You can fail on an employment application, when asking for a date, or in any number of activities in "real" life, and never understand why......

And yet we have the furrin' langwaje of textin...what the heck do teachers still teach spelling and grammar, or is it all math and science now?

And yes PowderBurner I agree with you about the importance of spelling and grammar.

Our boss would send out resumes of potential new hires for our group. We were to review and provide comments to him so he could select people to be brought in for interviews. Spelling and obvious grammar mistakes on a resume were essentially the kiss of death as far as I was concerned. Your resume can't have stupid mistakes on it; especially when you are applying for a job as a Quality Engineer. I think I found obvious mistakes and/or inconsistencies on at least half of the resumes I reviewed.

C.A.T.O. = Cutie Alert @ Two O'clock.

hahahahahahah..
I like dat one.....

I'm the only person I know capable of not only making grammar errors WITH a checker program watching,,,
But I can spell something so wrong that spell check doesn't even know where to begin to make a suggestion..... lol...lol...

Teddy

Hell, I’ve caught one of them red handed for using bad grammar, when they were one of the worst critics. Pretty sure I was responsible for putting a stop to that one, because I confronted him with his own bad grammar. Anyhoo, they don’t seem to be around anymore.

Was it bad grammar or bad spelling?

hahahahahahah..
I like dat one.....

I'm the only person I know capable of not only making grammar errors WITH a checker program watching,,,
But I can spell something so wrong that spell check doesn't even know where to begin to make a suggestion..... lol...lol...

Teddy

I used to work for a guy last named Slezak. MS Outlook always wanted me to change it to "sleazy". Needless to say, I had to turn off Auto-Correct. :)

I used to work for a guy last named Slezak. MS Outlook always wanted me to change it to "sleazy". Needless to say, I had to turn off Auto-Correct. :)

haha,,
Spell check can be a pain for sure sometimes...

Teddy

Heh, I read that as "Sleestak"...not an improvement...

FC

Everybody sing along with Radiohead ... sort of.

Grammar police
Arrest this man
He talks in sentences
He buzzes like a professor
He's like an educated radio

Grammar police
Arrest this girl
Her university hairdo
Is making me feel ill
And we have crashed her party

This is what you'll get
This is what you'll get
This is what you'll get
When you mess with us

Grammar police
I've given all I can
It's not enough
I've given all I can
But we're still on spellcheck

This is what you'll get
This is what you'll get
This is what you'll get
When you mess with us

For a minute there
I lost myself, I lost myself
Phew, for a minute there
For a minute there
Phew, for a minute there

Heh, I read that as "Sleestak"...not an improvement...

FC

I probably shouldn't admit it, but I thought the same thing.

images

Was it bad grammar or bad spelling?

Hard to say. It was a great while back. I'm sure it wasn't a spelling error. I get, that some ppl don't spell all that great. But it was the same thing he was belly aching about.

The bottom line is simple. This is a place where you should be able to come and enjoy yourself. Not get ridiculed for saying things like "duel deploy". People know what you meant. I suppose it's easy for some folks get a burr in their britches when someone's English is bad. Me, I just look beyond it and try to help em out if they were looking for advice. There's bigger fish to fry than trying to embarrass or hurt someone's feelings.

Back