Best rocketry hat for hot/sunny locale?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As an odd timing coincidence, I was looking through the Tripoli Wisconsin site and found this picture of myself about 10 minutes ago. OK, this is what I wore at MWP and a lot of sunny launches last year.. I haven't had a sunny launch yet this year.

IMG_3650.jpg

Straw hats for me. I've been wearing them since I worked at a marina in high school. I like them because they breathe. I get hot even in 70 degree weather.

+2 on the Tilley LTM-6 (wayco's post). Great in the sun, great in the rain, can be tied on if it's windy. I'm hardly outside in any conditions any more without one of my two on (I have one in tan/green and one that's grey). Soft band around the crown does a great job as a sweat band on hot days. Great ventilation (they are called "Air-Flo" and it's true). Machine washable. Got a slightly narrower brim version for my wife.

Just a satisfied customer.

added: One pic is me helping Barb Moser with her Saturn V at NARAM-56. The other is my wife and I on Kauai (yes, via a selfie stick) this past January. (My wife likes to tie her Tilley on even when it's not needed. Normally the lace just lives up in the crown of the hat.)

added later: etoyoc, that's quite a colorful Ventris!

IMG_3393.jpg

IMG_2606.jpg

Last edited:
Straw hats are very nice. Tractor Supply or some such place will have them for around $10. They're comfortable and they work. I think they're pretty hip in a farmer sort of way.

Tilley's are top notch. I own one and like it a lot, but wear it for sailing, mostly. They're durable, waterproof and have tie to keep them on in a breeze.

I prefer my Cuenca hats (inexpensive Panama hats). They can run fron $50 to $$$. Go here and find one you like:

https://www.panamahatmall.com/en/panama-hats-for-men-c-4539.html

I have these two. Comfortable, shady and stylish. They weigh nothing. Suitable for almost any occaision from casual to formal. Not just for rocket launches. If you're going to pay good money for a hat, it may as well be versatile.

Lots of excellent suggestions in this thread.

demarpa0079_M.jpg

desummer016_M.jpg

Last edited:
My Tilley hat makes my head hot and sweaty. It's an airflow style, but it still gets hot. It's too bad, because otherwise I really like it. One of the great things is that you can pack it flat, or even crumpled a bit, and it bounces right back. It looks better than the backpacking hat I own, but the backpacking hat keeps my head cool. I also have a seagrass fedora made by Bailey. That's a really nice hat. It breathes well. It can be flattened slightly for travel, but can't be packed too tight. There's no strap, and the brim is not very wide, so it's not really a great rocket launch hat.

I have an Walkabout leather hat with 3-1/2 brim all the way around.
I've had it for over 20 years now, I ware it everywhere all 4 seasons.
Hardly shows any ware. Has been wet many, many times but never gets soaked.
One thing I like about it, it has a metal band sewn into the outer edge of the brim.
You can shape the brim to almost any shape desired.
Leather breaths, I would never buy a wool fiber hat. They get soaked easily.

Last edited:
Locked - question answered - off topic posts removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back