Best rocketry hat for hot/sunny locale?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viperfixr

Born Again Rocketeer
Reaction score
I've worn baseball caps for years at launches, and even with sunscreen my neck's been burned more than once. I've avoided the 'dorky' hats with neck protection/covers, but I am looking for something more like that now that *perhaps* isn't quite as dorkish as some others. I would think breath-ability, protection and comfort would be the big top 3 criteria.

Either way, what's been your experience with the best cranium & neck protection from the sun without getting in the way?

(PS. Don't know how someone might drag the JetHitch issue into this thread, but PLEASE refrain from being creative in this way)

I like large-brim hats to cover the maximum (not just face, but also neck). Coolibar makes a nice range of sun hats.

i140-onpad.jpg

Embrace the your inner dork. It is not about fashion- it is about function. Stop worrying about appearance

Embrace the your inner dork. It is not about fashion- it is about function. Stop worrying about appearance
Not asking for or needing a personal preference pep-talk. We all have different needs & ways, right? Just looking for great hat recommendations, and this post wasn't that.

My local Costco just yesterday was selling wide brim boonie hats which I like because I can roll them up and stick them in my pocket.

I prefer boonies or a wide brim straw hat, the straw hat may be slightly cooler in hot weather, however it cant just be rolled up an stuck in my pocket.

Last edited:
Bay Area Rocketry sells a nice hat with a long bill and neck drape that's very light weight. Believe they are rated 50+ SPF. The tail has "Out To Launch" embroidered on it.

Costco sells boonie hats with wide brims, light weight, and they are also rated 50+ SPF.

More expensive brand name hats can be found in high end sporting stores like Bass Pro and Sportsman's Warehouse but be prepared to pay J reload prices for one.

At the low end of the price spectrum, you can keep your baseball/golf cap and buy a neck drape with velco closure that fits over your hat.

A "cowboy" style hat is classic headgear that never goes out of style. I normally wear one when I'm out in the elements but also favor a 49'ers ball cap with the brim pulled down low for a more streamlined profile.

The best protection for sun exposure is a pop-up tent or umbrella that is aluminized on the underneath of the canopy to prevent ultraviolet rays from penetrating the cloth.

I see a lot of folks at launches who just sit out under the open sky all day with no protection other than their ball cap. That's not a healthy thing.

The area where I live has one of the highest incidence rates of sun-related skin cancers. Undoubtedly because of the clear warm/hot weather, agriculture, and outdoor recreation.

My favorite Hat is a Rocketman ball cap that has a neck protector attached with Velcro. Unfortunately I don't think he carries them anymore. :(
I have a Boonie hat that has Velcro added to attach a neck protector.
You didn't ask but I also have two "fishing" shirts that are light weight and designed to let air flow easily through them. They keep my arms and neck protected and have lots of pockets for things like tape, motor starters etc. :wink:

Mine is a basic boonie hat style of hat that I bought a long time ago for backpacking. It's very lightweight and has mesh vents. My head gets hot in some kinds of hats, so the vents are important to me. I also typically wear a long-sleeve fishing type shirt with lots of cargo pockets for sun protection.

I recently purchased a fedora that is a replica of the Indiana Jones hat. I really loved the design and it has a really wide brim which helps with the sun.

Had a straw hat with a colossal brim that unfortunately seems to have been lost in the move. Need to get a replacement before the launch next weekend...

Tilly hats are guaranteed for life and are made in several different styles. My favorite is this model:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GBCXEI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I have found them at Sportsman's Warehouse and REI, but you can buy them directly from Tilly or find them on Amazon.

I won't leave home without mine, and Sharon has one too.

IMG_8340.jpg

I have seen dozens of them at rocket launches, so they are popular with rocketeers.

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite, its a straw hat and its comfortable to wear. I got this one at the Portland Zoo (Oregon)

TheHat.jpg

Not asking for or needing a personal preference pep-talk. We all have different needs & ways, right? Just looking for great hat recommendations, and this post wasn't that.

You need to lighten up a bit. Seriously, it is a hat. Get a sense of humor.

I can't wear baseball caps, they fall back. I don't wear cowboy hats because they grip my forehead and make me light headed. Straw hats....well, they're kinda "poky on the head". So generally I don't do hats. I had to try my friends sun hat on to see if I liked it. I needed something and his looked comfortable. It was, and it didn't slide all over the place. That's why I got the one I suggested. I'm not sure what you classify as a dorky hat, so you getting a lot of options. See anything that suites you yet?

Mike at Bay Area ROcketry sells a nice hat with a neck shade

I have one very similar to this hat. I got mine from Eddie Bauer, but they no longer sell it.

The style is usually called either "Safari Hat" or "Australian Safari Hat."

Last edited by a moderator:
Normally I wear ball cap style cause I have a crap ton of free ones, but I wear this one on super sunny days.
It has a pretty good mesh area. But I have no clue where I got it. I'll do some research if it interests you.

Adrian
Friken Iphone. I can't get pics right using it. :mad::mad:

IMG_0086.JPG

I got a fedora somewhere in the Aussie/Indy Jones style from REI a long time ago and it works really well. Tilly hats are good too. I've already had basal cell carcinomas cut out of my skin, hats are not optional for me...

I use a hat from Columbia sportswear. It's actually a fishing hat, and has the neck guard attached. It's also rated at UPF 30+. I have a tendency to burn easily, I have been using this for years with much success. My wife calls it my rocket hat.

Phil L.

Here's another vote for the Tilly. I've been wearing one for the last three years and absolutely love it.

Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back