Vintage Estes Target Drone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCIGS30

Reaction score
Next rocket from my bin of goodies is the Advanced Target Drone, will get started on it tomorrow.

DSC_0892 (1024x681).jpg

Got any way to make scans of the decals and balsa sheets with a ruler next to them for scale, we always love having stuff like that here.

Got any way to make scans of the decals and balsa sheets with a ruler next to them for scale, we always love having stuff like that here.

+1 (Don't forget those instruction sheets too).

Thanks!
Jim

Last edited:

Thanks for the link. However, as we both know, as well as sites like JimZ's and plans.rocketshoppe.com document our hobby's history, there can be variations that can and have been missed. Such as the Blowmolded/Injection Molded nosecones of the Estes Sizzler (1906), and Omega (K-52P)/(1200), or the paint, decal and nosecone differences that appear over time (Such as the Wizard (1292)(paint and decals), or the various versions of the (Astron) Alpha (paint, decals, and nosecone)).

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. However, as we both know, as well as sites like JimZ's and plans.rocketshoppe.com document our hobby's history, there can be variations that can and have been missed. Such as the Blowmolded/Injection Molded nosecones of the Estes Sizzler (1906), and Omega (K-52P)/(1200), or the paint, decal and nosecone differences that appear over time (Such as the Wizard (1292)(paint and decals), or the various versions of the (Astron) Alpha (paint, decals, and nosecone).

+1, I also like to see a ruler for reference with all my decals as well, in this particular linked versions of the plans there are two images with the rulers for scaling too. The decals I can figure out from the image and printing test pieces.

+2 I'd like a full set of scans. That's itching for an upscale.

Get me those scans! Mine must be bigger than his. 7.5" drone. lol

As long as it's to scale that'll be a good start. Then I can size and adjust parts as needed.

These are the models that I made - both clone and upscale. I believe them to be accurate. However, it would sure be nice to have someone with a kit scan the balsa cut outs and the cardstock shrouds to verify. I started out with the clone because I couldn't find anyone that took on trying to model the shrouds accurately. I then used the program's scale function to go bigger, though the upscales may be trimmed slightly here and there to make the measurements of components come out to even increments. Full disclosure - the BT70 upscale is not the actual file I built. The final version used a 3-engine cluster mount, with the extra motors in the outboard pods. But that file was too big for the forum to allow me to upload. The one posted was the first version (single motor), and I can't say for sure how it evolved from that. So take it for what it's worth. At least the base model should be good. The one part that might not be is the mass of the clay weight in the nose. It came with a single clay pad, but I don't know if I can assume it to be the same size what came with my Sprint XL or if there were multiple pads. But that's for CG purposes, and easy to adjust. The CP should be right...

View attachment Advanced Target Drone 1913.rkt
View attachment Advanced Target Drone BT70.rkt
View attachment Advanced Target Drone 4in.rkt

Last edited:
So SCIGS30, willing to share the scans? 😌 Pleeeeaasseee?

Scanner is not working will have to buy another, oh well. I brushed on a couple coats of balsa sealer and waited for good weather. Primed with one coat followed by top coat same day.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Umm. So does this mean you cut out the fins and all and weren't able to get them scanned first?

Hi SCIGS,

I understand you're trying to build the entire 1979 Estes Catalog? All original kits (no clones). Is that true?

If so, how is that going?

All The Best!
Jim

Still working on the 1979 catalog, someday I will complete my goal. I have been busy once again so building has been put on the back burner, luckily my new speedy process allowed be to finish this build during the little hobby time I had. The decals went on great with no issues and she is ready for launch. I scanned everything and do to the poor quality I drew the decal and fin pattern with a 1 inch box for scale.

DSC_0131 (782x1024).jpg

DSC_0139 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0147 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0150 (1024x1020).jpg

DSC_0151 (747x1024).jpg

The only thing you're missing there are the patterns for the cardstock shrouds. That's just as important as the fins themselves...

The scanned image is pretty bad but I was able to trace it and make a good copy. I did not draw the fin marking guide since it is a standard 4F marking on a Bt-50. I don't know the LB of the cardstock but the kit stuff was pretty thin.

View attachment ADVANCED TARGET DRONE CARDSTOCK.pdf

Last edited:
Back