AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sort out a proper UK EU supply.

Having had various talks, lies, story's and set backs I'd like the truth to posted publicly.

Your ass is beaten by CTI due to this in the UK EU.

Your 'EU' supply doesn't talk to anyone out side his country.

You supply directly to a country via the UK which technically you shouldn't due to the lack of any support for the UK.

Good luck
Hi Pete

Ok, some truth and facts then.
There is no reason whatsoever, except lack of interest, that prevents UK dealers to carry Aerotech products.
There is an established transport channel, the CE is there, the only thing that might need some refresh is local paperwork, what needs to be done by local people (iow. the dealers).

I don't know where you are taking from that the EU importer doesn't talk to anybody.
Supply of the other countries, where there are dealers, works without problems.

I have travelled to London (together with Gary) to discuss with dealers and interested parties, just to move obstacles out of the way.
I even have offered to fund a certain UK stock, in order to make the hurdles lower for the individual dealer and improve short-term availability.

The problem realy is only that nobody orders, and that is exclusively an Uk internal theme.

The preferred route is to sell via an UK dealer, who attends UK launches and supports UK flyers locally.

If this doesn't work, there is the second option that UK flyers who are interested in Aerotech products, team up and establish a group order directly from Spacetec.
It will need to have a certain size (a couple thousand £) to keep a balance in comparison to transport costs, it will mean that somebody should file the paperwork (UK authorities, Ben Jarvis does know what that might be) and that somebody picks up the shipment at London Stansted and does the distribution to the other flyers.

If you are interested to get things moving, feel free to contact me.
I will certainly do what I can to have Aerotech products available also to the UK rocketeers.
But some initiative is needed within the UK as well.

Cheers

Juerg

SpaceTec

Last edited:
TARC teams will love more variety in the 24/60 casing, as will everyone else.

Especially with the 2016 TARC challenge.

And with CA AB-467 (which is now in the CA Senate as SB-467) they will be able to be Classified as Model Rocket Motors. Expected timetable is January 1, 2016. once the bill passes and is signed into law, we will know for sure.

TARC teams will love more variety in the 24/60 casing, as will everyone else.

Especially with the 2016 TARC challenge.

And with CA AB-467 (which is now in the CA Senate as SB-467) they will be able to be Classified as Model Rocket Motors. Expected timetable is January 1, 2016. once the bill passes and is signed into law, we will know for sure.

One load for the 24/60 case is what has been keeping me from purchasing. Also don't understand price difference, 24/60 F load costs $3.00 more than a 29-40/120 G load.

One load for the 24/60 case is what has been keeping me from purchasing. Also don't understand price difference, 24/60 F load costs $3.00 more than a 29-40/120 G load.
Note that the 24/60 loads are packs of two...

There may be some news coming out of Canada soon also. Not necessarily regarding the metal or FBJ propellant but some other progress.

Great! I am happy to hear that there may be other loads coming. Looking forward to new releases and maybe some 54mm 1G. (I know, now I am harping on it)
Thank you for the reply.

My Bad, I would call that a good deal then! The vendor I first looked at did not have them listed as a 2 pack.
It certainly is, and the 24/60 is one neat motor anyway. There are many kits out there that really fly well on it.

+1 for motors for TARC teams. My daughter's flies CTI, so I'm not a buyer. On the other hand, for every team that selects a given motor in a given year, you have 5-50 motor sales.

One wish to Aerotech:

Drop the "TRA-Level"-Requirement in Germany!

We have a German explosives permit which is very hard to get, the requirements are much higher than the simple TRA-Level 2 test, 2-3 days of theoretical and practical training, a practical launch test and a very hard written test with rocket calculations, law knowledge, security etc. We have a weight limit too, which is for 5 years, then the permit need to be renewed. There is also a screening before you are allowed to get the permit, if you have done something illegal before, you do not get the permit.

The TRA-Level system is basically a good thing, and we even would install a similar german level system to ensure that users are able to handle larger motors safely, although that is not needed by the German law.

The current system is hindering the rocket hobby in Germany due to the simple fact, that everyone who wants to buy Highpower-Motors needs to be a Tripoli/NAR-member, even if the law allows him to buy any motor with a CE mark.
That is expensive, younger flyers cannot afford that, as the legal permit is very expensive to get too and need to be renewed every 5 years..

For me, it did cost me 400 $ until now, for nothing, just to have a level-card. Many german flyers are upset about this, as they still need an insurance for Germany, they cannot use the TRA insurance in Germany.
The first manufacturer who sells motors according to the German law will gain a lot of customers, that's for sure

We all do a lot of work to get the legal permit, but still cannot buy motors without a tripoli/NAR membership! That is insane!

Hi Charlie,

I know myself and many others would love to see these come back into production -

IMG_2070_zpsdhkjdwon.jpg

IMG_2071_zpsqwheltjo.jpg

The Fast White Lightning G80. I flew a bunch of those in a Loc Graduator. One of my favorite mid power motors.

Those were great motors, I bought 25 of them from Magnum. After trying a few I would have not had a problem buying 25 more, but they were all gone.

My favorite mid power motor. Bought 20 of them every time they were offered. Would love to see them come back!

G80 fast white is a good motor. I bought a few when a vender closed his doors. Alas, I have flow them all.

I bought 10 of them from Jim Turner. I believe Jim passes a few years ago. For those that are not familiar he was a dealer in Texas, and also made really kick ass igniters called Fire in the Hole- never had one fail to light a motor.

A belated Hi, New Guy :) (I was away from the computer for a while)

Well...here I go...Gary USED to post here a Lot. He listened to what we had to say. The plugged and threaded 38mm forward enclosure came from direct input from this forum. We lost that when a former employee aired his grievances here and Gary went away :( Former employee is a valued member of the rocket crowd, can't say anything bad about him at all but I miss talking to Gary.

Have a thick skin, someone will take potshots I'm sure...it ain't all wine and roses...I'd hate to lose another direct link to a major manufacturer again...

One load for the 24/60 case is what has been keeping me from purchasing
New loads are being developed, one load for a case is not beneficial.

One wish to Aerotech:

Drop the "TRA-Level"-Requirement in Germany!

We have a German explosives permit which is very hard to get, the requirements are much higher than the simple TRA-Level 2 test, 2-3 days of theoretical and practical training, a practical launch test and a very hard written test with rocket calculations, law knowledge, security etc. We have a weight limit too, which is for 5 years, then the permit need to be renewed. There is also a screening before you are allowed to get the permit, if you have done something illegal before, you do not get the permit.

The TRA-Level system is basically a good thing, and we even would install a similar german level system to ensure that users are able to handle larger motors safely, although that is not needed by the German law.

The current system is hindering the rocket hobby in Germany due to the simple fact, that everyone who wants to buy Highpower-Motors needs to be a Tripoli/NAR-member, even if the law allows him to buy any motor with a CE mark.
That is expensive, younger flyers cannot afford that, as the legal permit is very expensive to get too and need to be renewed every 5 years..

For me, it did cost me 400 $ until now, for nothing, just to have a level-card. Many german flyers are upset about this, as they still need an insurance for Germany, they cannot use the TRA insurance in Germany.
The first manufacturer who sells motors according to the German law will gain a lot of customers, that's for sure

We all do a lot of work to get the legal permit, but still cannot buy motors without a tripoli/NAR membership! That is insane!

Great perspective from an international market. I wasn't aware of Germany's system, thanks. I'll see what we can do.

A belated Hi, New Guy :) (I was away from the computer for a while)

Well...here I go...Gary USED to post here a Lot. He listened to what we had to say. The plugged and threaded 38mm forward enclosure came from direct input from this forum. We lost that when a former employee aired his grievances here and Gary went away :( Former employee is a valued member of the rocket crowd, can't say anything bad about him at all but I miss talking to Gary.

Have a thick skin, someone will take potshots I'm sure...it ain't all wine and roses...I'd hate to lose another direct link to a major manufacturer again...

My personal philosophy is mainly based on accountability. As an individual or as a manufacturer, accountability has a tendency to bring out the root of a problem. I can take the potshots, especially well-deserved ones. If I don't like how that makes me feel then the lesson should be to avoid such errors/issues in the future. This results in improvement.

Can I make a real suggestion- stop announcing things on Facebook. I do not know many people who use it at all. I certainly do not use, nor will I. This is why you really need to get your website updated and up and running. You could even do an RSS feed type of thing that people could subscribe to. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Can I make a real suggestion- stop announcing things on Facebook. I do not know many people who use it at all.

Everyone I know uses it. To be honest, more flyers use it than TRF, or check AT's website. So it makes perfect sense to announce things there.

Back