AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you on-board video of said flight? :)

Yes I do... it's pretty amazing to see the ground leave the rocket.. at the snap of the blue flame .. which snaps off in 0.7 seconds.. but that rocket was now at Mach 0.71 !! I haven't published it to YouTube yet since I've been hoping to integrate altitude, rate of climb and a time history plot overlay using Dashware. However, the last windows 10 update BROKE Dashware for me. Perhaps I'll upload the plain camera video until I can get on a system that Dashware still runs on.

A quick video, no dashware since Windows 10 update broke it and GoPro hasn't fixed it.
Aerotech RMS 54/1706 K2050ST-P
Madcow Level2 Rocket, 12.5 lbs
40 g's max acceleration
Mach 0.71 in just 0.7 seconds!
Apogee was 5,400 feet after a 17 second coast

[video=youtube;dJ_bWJLcLxM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ_bWJLcLxM[/video]

Last edited:
A quick video, no dashware since Windows 10 update broke it and GoPro hasn't fixed it.
40 g's max acceleration

Looks like a sick motor and a great ride for a 4" bird... :) Great video, thank you!

Awesome flight and video. I may just have to get one of these for my Wildman Demon.

Special thank to Karl and Aerotech for standing by their product!

Also watch those liners for any imperfections, damage, cracks etc prior to grain installation and if you see an issue - don't fly it. I'm not a rep for AT, just notifying.

Thanks AT, great product. I'm looking forward to flying another M1939 and higher

I bought one of the K2050's myself. Likely will get used in my Wildman Extreme next spring. No video for me- at least on board.

Flew a K2050ST over the weekend. It was a crowd pleaser. The 12.5 lb Madcow Level-2 rocket went from 0 to Mach 0.71 in 0.7 seconds. Peak acceleration close to 40 G's.

Chris took a very nice underexposed shot as it snapped off the pad:

View attachment 306000

Look at that velocity slope:
View attachment 306001

That is an incredible photo, very nice flight!

40 g's max acceleration

[video=youtube;dJ_bWJLcLxM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ_bWJLcLxM[/video]

Incredible footage, thanks for posting.

Special thank to Karl and Aerotech for standing by their product!

Also watch those liners for any imperfections, damage, cracks etc prior to grain installation and if you see an issue - don't fly it. I'm not a rep for AT, just notifying.

Thanks AT, great product. I'm looking forward to flying another M1939 and higher

Thanks for putting this out there, good advice on the liners.

Update on the Motor Matrix:

All hobbyline is now caught up and I got quite a bit done, down to the 38/360 RMS line. I'll begin the 38/480 tomorrow and see where we end up. Will not currently allow me to upload a jpeg for some reason.

Last edited:
Update on the Motor Matrix:

All hobbyline is now caught up and I got quite a bit done, down to the 38/360 RMS line. I'll begin the 38/480 tomorrow and see where we end up. Will not currently allow me to upload a jpeg for some reason.

Charlie, how big is the file?

I am not a mod here. I certainly would like a copy, and could put it on Rocketry Files so feel free to email it to me Charlie.

Put this together using the new GoPro from inside the test cell, turned out pretty cool!

[video]https://youtu.be/EUc7ber3MFs[/video]

Last edited:
Put this together using the new GoPro from inside the test cell, turned out pretty cool!

[video]https://youtu.be/EUc7ber3MFs[/video]

Charlie, I like motors that can spank a rocket, and that truly qualifies!

They should all say Dark Metal, not sure where I got Dark Matter from.
According to the Aerotech press releases, these are all Metalstorm DM(TM), aka Metalstorm Dark Matter.

Whatever you call it, I think it's the prettiest sparky on the market!

29mm HP line will be getting a tune-up shortly. We have released 10 new motors in the past 2-3 months so we will get there eventually. Also look for a threaded plugged 29mm closure and possibly an extended forward closure to hold a longer delay. I don't think you are in the minority on this, we have a lot of requests for those loads in this case. Just a matter of getting to it.

Just poking the dead horse.... Any luck on this? :)

In October I noticed that the KBA L2300G wasn't on the NAR combined list. I asked NAR S&T about this and they said it was a mistake. But the 30 October revision showed a sport use ends date of December. 2016 implying that it lost certification in 2013. I asked about that and now the 28 November version says December 2018. Or decertified in 2015. Still no response to my questions about that.

I have tilted at this windmill long enough and it is now someone else's turn to give it a go.

Back