AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CATO on the pad. Resulted in the rocket body landing on the rail (fins up, of course). Quite spectacular. Makes me very nervous to fly the one I have tho...

The rear closure let go, spitting out both grains. I just sent the MESS reort on Sat. And I filed a warrant request with Aerotech. I haven't heard anything yet. Too soon. Greg Olson See post 1333.

Last edited:
Where do I find a MESS report? I tried to fly one of your J250W-14A DMS motor at Midwest Power today (11/06). It lifted off the rail approx. 3 feet and the rear closurer let go, spitting out the grains. The Wildman Gizmo rocket fell to the ground and the body ended up on the rail. The rail was inside the body. They have photos. Thanks Greg Olson

Greg,

Karl has received your pics and other info, thanks for getting that to us. If he hasn't been already, he will be in touch with you and get you taken care of.

Charlie, is the rear closure failure on the J250W a known issue, such as a bad batch? I have three of them that I'm excited to use, just hoping the failure rate isn't higher on these.

I am having a hard time finding Elmer’s Glue-All Max™ locally. I don't have time to order it before this weekend. Can I use 30 minute epoxy instead? Or an alternate glue?

Glue-All Max is the adhesive recommended for now. We have not tested them with 30 minute epoxy so we cannot recommend that before testing. We are looking into other solutions as well.

Gorilla glue or Titebond polyurethane should work, use sparingly. Titebond is supposed to be low foaming, don't know if that or Elmer's is in comparison to Gorilla glue or not.

Definitely DO NOT use gorilla glue. The foam can expand to the point of cracking the liner and nothing good will happen for the flyer. The crowd might enjoy it though :wink:

Charlie,

I intended to do this a long time ago but... Thanks for all your help and attention at AirFest this year. It was awesome having AeroTech on site. I hope you can make it out next year as well.

What is the status on the improvements mentioned above? It has been about 1 1/2 since those comments were made and not much has changed with the website or catalog. I can tell you one piece of info that I used and still use from time to time is the chart that Rouse-Tech Motor Compatibility chart https://www.rouse-tech.com/motorchart.htm. It shows all the motors that fit in a specific case. I realize that there are new motors now that aren't on this chart but an equivalent chart on the AeroTech website would be awesome. Thanks again for your help with things. I have repaired my rocket that had the deployment failure due to my "excessive" use of grease in the delay well. It will be launched again Saturday on an AT I357R. Photo attached for a reminder of which rocket it was.

Dave,

It was nice to meet you out there, very much appreciated the welcome and hospitality from Kloudbusters. Airfest is one cool launch, it has been added to the yearly rotation.

As for the website and catalog (hardware has been handled) that is next on the list now that the launch season has ended for us. The winter provides the time needed for these kinds of projects which are tedious and time consuming. I have a RouseTech matrix here that I am using for reference but we don't have a digital file so it has to be recreated from scratch. I'll post it here when it's wrapped up.

Glad you located the cause of failure, always helps to prevent it from happening again. Hope to see you out there next year also!

Mr. Savoie, I just had another 54mm load chew up a seal disk. I haven't filled out a MESS report or warranty claim yet. (Doing that this weekend)

I was wondering if the alloy has recently changed? The seal disk in question was flown with a K375NW and was the first and only flight on the seal disk.

This is the last disk I had replaced (K1103X) and the damage to the new one is very similar:

Inbox me your email address and I'll have Karl get with you.

What happened with the DMS J250W failure?

It looks like it blew the forward end of the case. This J250 was one of the first off of the line (2015) and used a 2-piece case/liner design. This design was improved to a single piece and we have not had any issues since then.

Charlie, is the rear closure failure on the J250W a known issue, such as a bad batch? I have three of them that I'm excited to use, just hoping the failure rate isn't higher on these.

Karl would know better than I but as far as I know this is not a known issue for this motor. Inbox me your email address and I can have Karl contact you.

Charlie, any update on the 24mm plugged forward closure design for using the 24/40 RC loads in the standard casing?

Frank

Glue-All Max is the adhesive recommended for now. We have not tested them with 30 minute epoxy so we cannot recommend that before testing. We are looking into other solutions as well.

Thanks Charles. I purchased some Glue-All Max in Wichita last weekend. I was there for Distant Thunder 2016. I will not be flying the K1000 until next spring.

We are aiming to have them available beginning of 2017. Along with another surprise.:)

Would this apply to the new 29/40-120 reloads as well?

(I purchase most of my motors for the upcoming season at the end of the year, so would like to know if I'll be able to get these)

Thank you!
-Erik

Charlie, any update on the 24mm plugged forward closure design for using the 24/40 RC loads in the standard casing?

Frank

Nothing yet Frank though the drawing has been completed. We have a couple other pieces in line before the plugged 24mm fwd closure is machined. Will be sure to announce it when it's available.

Would this apply to the new 29/40-120 reloads as well?

(I purchase most of my motors for the upcoming season at the end of the year, so would like to know if I'll be able to get these)

Thank you!
-Erik

Ideally we would like to announce the 24/40 and 29/40-120 loads around the same time and in time for next year's launch season. NARCON 2017 might be the event that we announce them if we can get them dialed in.

54-2800 a.jpg54-2800 b.jpg

I purchased the Wildman Midwest Power 14 special a few months ago and it came with a 54/2800 case and K990DM reload. I noticed that the case has a machined groove inside one end. This appears to me to be a manufacturing defect, as I have not see n this before on an AT case. I used the case only once (for the K990) and noticed the groove when cleaning it. I have attached photos of the groove. I also noticed that the rear closure is “rough” to screw on. It is not cross threaded, but offers quite a bit of resistance. It appears to be the threads on the closure and not the case threads, since my other rear closures thread on smoothly and easily.

Sent an email to AT customer service earlier this week. Haven't heard back yet.

View attachment 305557View attachment 305558

I purchased the Wildman Midwest Power 14 special a few months ago and it came with a 54/2800 case and K990DM reload. I noticed that the case has a machined groove inside one end. This appears to me to be a manufacturing defect, as I have not see n this before on an AT case. I used the case only once (for the K990) and noticed the groove when cleaning it. I have attached photos of the groove. I also noticed that the rear closure is “rough” to screw on. It is not cross threaded, but offers quite a bit of resistance. It appears to be the threads on the closure and not the case threads, since my other rear closures thread on smoothly and easily.

That's there by design. They machine a short length of the ID to assure o-ring sealing on a uniform surface instead of the irregular surface straight from the mill.

That's there by design. They machine a short length of the ID to assure o-ring sealing on a uniform surface instead of the irregular surface straight from the mill.

IIRC, the groove was not machined around the entire inside circumference, only half. Also, the groove was only on one end. When I get home tonight, I will verify this and provide more information - and will measure the the recess distance of the "partial" groove from the end of the case. I have not seen this type of partial groove on any of my other 54 mm cases.

View attachment 305557View attachment 305558

Yes, I've seen this on 54's, 75's, and 98's. Not on all but a fair amount and I've talked to Karl about it. It's for the reason Dan mentions.

IIRC, the groove was not machined around the entire inside circumference, only half. Also, the groove was only on one end. When I get home tonight, I will verify this and provide more information - and will measure the the recess distance of the "partial" groove from the end of the case. I have not seen this type of partial groove on any of my other 54 mm cases.

Yea, the machined portion of the ID is concentric to the OD of the motor. The raw ID isn't concentric and isn't a perfect circle, which is why the machined land isn't present around the entire ID circumference.

Back