AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Charlie,

Thanks very much for the updates! Lots of exciting stuff going on at Aerotech these days, and I'm sure it's all the more appreciated after this year's incident at CTI.

I do have one request, when you're updating the order form PDF file to include the new motors: Is there any way you can include information on the total impulse of each motor in the order form? I know many folks like/appreciate the format that CTI has used, where the total impulse is listed before the motor class designation and the average thrust. I'm not saying it must be done in the same fashion (though standardization can be good), but inclusion of that information would be much appreciated.

If you guys wanted to get really fancy, you could create an Android or iPhone app with your motor offerings, thrust characteristics, propellant type, case size, MSRP, etc... That'd definitely get some space on my phone! Of course, now I think on it, maybe Thrustcurve folks have already done that... yup, yup they have. :)

Yes I have heard a few flyers comment on that but that is not in our future plans. The order form is not really the place for that information that is why we provide full motor data on the packaging now. No QR codes, no internet required. Just good old fashioned reading. I feel that our presentation and information is much better than any competitor's and available through so many platforms that we have it covered.

Thanks for asking though as I have heard this before so it isn't just you. :)

I heard a rumor that some new Propellant X might be making an appearance soon .

Any teasers for us ? I flew the K1103X at LDRS ..quick build and always a solid performer !

Kenny

We are looking at several new loads for that propellant and should have some new offerings down the road. A DMS version may be the next one just because of how hot that burns sometimes.

Hi Charlie,

Thanks very much for the updates! Lots of exciting stuff going on at Aerotech these days, and I'm sure it's all the more appreciated after this year's incident at CTI.

I do have one request, when you're updating the order form PDF file to include the new motors: Is there any way you can include information on the total impulse of each motor in the order form? I know many folks like/appreciate the format that CTI has used, where the total impulse is listed before the motor class designation and the average thrust. I'm not saying it must be done in the same fashion (though standardization can be good), but inclusion of that information would be much appreciated.

If you guys wanted to get really fancy, you could create an Android or iPhone app with your motor offerings, thrust characteristics, propellant type, case size, MSRP, etc... That'd definitely get some space on my phone! Of course, now I think on it, maybe Thrustcurve folks have already done that... yup, yup they have. 

+1 on the app
Still don't see the new rocket with 38 mm motor either

The Monstra will be released when everything is perfect. You will be rewarded for your patience. I will post some pics and some updates shortly so everyone can see where we are in development. Mid-November is the target date.

I might be in the minority but I'd like to see some 29mm Dark Matter and Propellant X loads in the G-H range. That combined with long delays would be too much to dream for. Still want it though.

29mm HP line will be getting a tune-up shortly. We have released 10 new motors in the past 2-3 months so we will get there eventually. Also look for a threaded plugged 29mm closure and possibly an extended forward closure to hold a longer delay. I don't think you are in the minority on this, we have a lot of requests for those loads in this case. Just a matter of getting to it.

Karl has several put together for testing. As the launch season begins to wind down we can dedicate more time to getting these dialed in and sent out for testing. Please don't die in the meantime :)

Very cool. I look forward to seeing the G71R or something like it come back to the 29/40-120 lineup.:wink:

The thing is I never really had significant issues with the numerous G71R's I flew.

29mm HP line will be getting a tune-up shortly. We have released 10 new motors in the past 2-3 months so we will get there eventually. Also look for a threaded plugged 29mm closure and possibly an extended forward closure to hold a longer delay. I don't think you are in the minority on this, we have a lot of requests for those loads in this case. Just a matter of getting to it.

Just thinking proactively and trying to help out -- make sure you select a thread that fits an eyebolt that will fit the 29mm tube.. lol.

Hi Charlie, another question for you. Are there any plans for DMS motors in the mid to high J impulse class for 38mm diameters? I'm thinking of rough equivalents to the 38/1080 and 38/1320 case loads. I love flying the existing loads in small rockets, but am always worried about losing the hardware (just recovered one case that was lost in the desert for two years after a tracker failed). Having a DMS motor would relieve some of the concern when shoving a J510 into an MD bird!

Edit: the J270 and J425 are great examples of DMS in the 38/720 equivalent size range, and are currently very competitively priced!

Thanks!

Yes I have heard a few flyers comment on that but that is not in our future plans. The order form is not really the place for that information that is why we provide full motor data on the packaging now. No QR codes, no internet required. Just good old fashioned reading. I feel that our presentation and information is much better than any competitor's and available through so many platforms that we have it covered.

Thanks for asking though as I have heard this before so it isn't just you. :)

I think this is a mistake. It's great it's on the package.... but that's worthless to people trying to pick out a motor.

Your catalog is 6 years old and missing tons of motors now.

The presentation is not better...and it is not covered. Sorry, those are just facts. Having to dig through multiple instructions is cumbersome.

Put all the motor data that you already have, into one place. The catalog was perfect. skip the fluff, skip the rockets. Toss the motor data and graphs onto like 6 pages and be done with it. I don't understand the resistance to this idea.

Put all the motor data that you already have, into one place. The catalog was perfect. skip the fluff, skip the rockets. Toss the motor data and graphs onto like 6 pages and be done with it. I don't understand the resistance to this idea.

This- I use the CTI website all the time for planning out what motors I want to buy. For AT, the first page here is a good start, but obviously doesn't include motors other than DMS:
https://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/uploads/09f2adc0-4ae1-423b-b2a8-c646455749fc_DMS Data Sheet.pdf

Usually if I'm shopping for AT motors, I'll just use the wildman website, as the info is presented there in an easy to read and search for format. I gave up on the AT website a while ago.

I didn't buy ANYTHING AT for a year because the catalog is so old it's worthless, and it took that long to get a handle on the parts and nomenclature. Even with that, I STILL ask here all the time when branching out (like getting the proper forward closure for MD).

Business must be good enough to not need to update the catalog and thrust curves for potential new customers........

To be clear, I'm (we're) not asking a lot here. This would be great in a PDF
29427342293_ee3def5100_b.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't buy ANYTHING AT for a year because the catalog is so old it's worthless, and it took that long to get a handle on the parts and nomenclature. Even with that, I STILL ask here all the time when branching out (like getting the proper forward closure for MD).

Business must be good enough to not need to update the catalog and thrust curves for potential new customers........

To add to another thread where there are comments about Apogee. I find their site very helpful for AT reloads. And if I am just buying locally, in Canada, which I limit to G and below, then I use allrocketengines.ca, as Pavel the owner does a good job in keeping his site up to date. Also I find his prices competitive for AT reloads.

Very cool. I look forward to seeing the G71R or something like it come back to the 29/40-120 lineup.:wink:

The thing is I never really had significant issues with the numerous G71R's I flew.

We are almost there, it is exciting to bring some of these loads out that you flyers have been waiting for.

I think this is a mistake. It's great it's on the package.... but that's worthless to people trying to pick out a motor.

The presentation is not better...and it is not covered. Sorry, those are just facts. Having to dig through multiple instructions is cumbersome.

Thanks for your input.

Hi Charlie, another question for you. Are there any plans for DMS motors in the mid to high J impulse class for 38mm diameters? I'm thinking of rough equivalents to the 38/1080 and 38/1320 case loads. I love flying the existing loads in small rockets, but am always worried about losing the hardware (just recovered one case that was lost in the desert for two years after a tracker failed). Having a DMS motor would relieve some of the concern when shoving a J510 into an MD bird!

Edit: the J270 and J425 are great examples of DMS in the 38/720 equivalent size range, and are currently very competitively priced!

Thanks!

Yes, the next DMS size will be the 38/1080 equivalent. The SU cases allow us to push the motors a bit further so it will be interesting to see what comes out of that case.

We are almost there, it is exciting to bring some of these loads out that you flyers have been waiting for.

I can't wait! Here's hoping for a metal storm load, along with the red load :)

When flyers are on the range at a launch I can assure you it absolutely helps them pick out a motor. I have had dealers and customers both comment to me that they are extremely helpful so maybe you are referring to someone picking out a motor online. If that is the case there are several places for one to find the information you need.

The catalog is one of the last things we still need to do and it will be done properly as soon as time permits. You may have noticed we have been busy improving other areas.

Not going to argue too much about something subjective (therefore not a fact), but compare the packaging of an AT 38mm reload to that of a CTI 38mm reload and you tell me. Not sure what you are talking about with regards to the instructions, this has also been improved so that most diameters have only 2 generic instructions.

You are confusing resistance with other constraints, in this case time.

That seems a bit unreasonable but to each there own. The demand for that closure is not high enough to move any current projects to the side.

It's really about prioritization and resources...a new catalog/website would be great but I am the one that will end up doing that and now that the launch season is winding down we can shift focus to these types of things.

To add to another thread where there are comments about Apogee. I find their site very helpful for AT reloads. And if I am just buying locally, in Canada, which I limit to G and below, then I use allrocketengines.ca, as Pavel the owner does a good job in keeping his site up to date. Also I find his prices competitive for AT reloads.

Good information here, Apogees videos are helpful and Pavel is awesome!

It's really about prioritization and resources...a new catalog/website would be great but I am the one that will end up doing that and now that the launch season is winding down we can shift focus to these types of things.

If you're looking to outsource any technical writing/layout work, I happen to know a good writer/layout guy...

Yes, the next DMS size will be the 38/1080 equivalent. The SU cases allow us to push the motors a bit further so it will be interesting to see what comes out of that case.

Do it in Mojave Green. A single use in that, assuming it holds together, could be awesome.

With all the attention 4-to-3-inch two stagers get, the lack of an extra long 75mm is a bummer. For some bizarre reason Cesaroni only ever offered one performance motor in that size, and now it is literally unobtainable.

Loki may fill that gap, but I am curious if simply stuffing an extra grain on top of an M685 would be a benefit.

Toss the motor data and graphs onto like 6 pages and be done with it.
Here's the entire current Aerotech line in tabular form in six pages. No graphs but it seems many people find the graphs as confusing as helpful anyway. No weights either, but this is a few minutes' work in thrustcurve and equivalent to the tables CTI has on their site.

Looks like the hardware field for the hobbyline 29/40-120 motors reads as 29/40 in thrustcurve so be warned.

View attachment aerotech-motors.pdf

Here's the entire current Aerotech line in tabular form in six pages. No graphs but it seems many people find the graphs as confusing as helpful anyway. No weights either, but this is a few minutes' work in thrustcurve and equivalent to the tables CTI has on their site.

Looks like the hardware field for the hobbyline 29/40-120 motors reads as 29/40 in thrustcurve so be warned.

What about the Super Thunder motors? I have used the H550st motors for over a year and they still dont show up on the website. I love Aerotechs motors but the one thing that bothers me is how slow they are to update their site. And I know I can go to thrust curve for info but I would really like to see them get the site up to date.
Steve

Back