AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear Lord Almighty what a bunch of cry babies, Aerotech gives you something new and and innovative and you all whine like you have been hung with a new rope. Costs go up not just because of the new EZ Reload, costs have gone up around the board..

I fly Loki and Scott had to raise a few prices, did I up and abandon him or piss an moan? NOPE! Its the cost of business, unfortunately it has gone up for every one, sure you may have to cut back a motor or two, but come on!

I for one applaud their efforts, keep the new stuff rolling!

Jethitch mabey not a smart Idea.

TA

I am only mildly worried that the Jethitch will have an impact on our hobby. I am the least bit concerned about the price increases. However, I am very troubled with AT abandoning the 38mm RMS.

I got out of this hobby in the mid '90s because the one local hobby shop that sold AT products quit carrying everything but Estes products. After laying out a good sum of money (especially for a teenager) on rockets and hardware, it was tough to look at them, knowing I no longer had a means of launching them. I moved on to other interests and never looked back until a little over a year ago. The internet has made the availability of kits, supplies, motors and hardware much more appealing. So after the last year of building a handful of MPR kits and getting back into the swing of things, I have decided to build my first HPR and go after my level 1 cert. Now that it's nearly complete, including the purchase of several new 38mm RMS cases and closures, I am learning that reloads will no longer be available?

I guess I just need be reassured that I am not wasting my time and energy on projects only to have useless things taking up space and leaving me pondering how things could have been.

Dennis

I am only mildly worried that the Jethitch will have an impact on our hobby. I am the least bit concerned about the price increases. However, I am very troubled with AT abandoning the 38mm RMS.
Dennis

Hey Dennis, I am in the same boat as you, I bought several 38mm casings & a set of closures, for my planned level 1 Cert attempt. I am not 100% sure, but I very confident, that all we will need to use our existing hardware is the new foreword closure & the delay tool. Many use a regular drill, so if you go this route, you will not need the delay tool. Hopefully someone could chime in here & confirm this.

Hey Dennis, I am in the same boat as you, I bought several 38mm casings & a set of closures, for my planned level 1 Cert attempt. I am not 100% sure, but I very confident, that all we will need to use our existing hardware is the new foreword closure & the delay tool. Many use a regular drill, so if you go this route, you will not need the delay tool. Hopefully someone could chime in here & confirm this.

You are correct:https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?125666-Help-Me-Understand-EZ-reloads

Lots of us would like to keep both options, RMS and EZ I prefer RMS please.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but it sounds like you are saying what we want to hear, and I'm not buying it, so it's time for me to move to a different vender. I sure hope this new product was worth it. And for future new product release, try doing a product research Q&A before its release.

Tough crowd. Sorry to see you go.

I just assembled my first EZ Reload and it is pretty convenient. The deeper well allows you to easily add extra black powder. So assuming the delay is accurate, it seems like an improvement. I will see tomorrow when I fly it. I will have to get an extra retaining ring for my 2nd set of 38 mm closures with my next Balsa Machining order. The new packaging is a plus since it protects the fragile phenolic liner. I am not sure how it can be done with 29 mm reloads without sacrificing hazmat free shipping but should work fine for any of the 54 mm ones that do not require a closed forward closure.

Follow up: The flight today was perfect and motor ejection occurred just when expected. As a side benefit clean up was faster since the delay assembly was just thrown away. The front retainer ring cleans easily. The messiest part to clean is still the metal seal disk however (no big deal). I have never used plugged forward closures for my dual deploy flights so there is no change there. So far so good with a test sample of one. LOL :)

Last edited:

Dennis

Hi Dennis,
There are absolutely no plans to ever eliminate or abandon any of the RMS lines. The 38mm line is not going anywhere. We added the DMS line but we have not subtracted any items from the RMS lines. I hope this reassures you and you will continue in your current projects. Good luck going for your level 1!

This is correct, thank you for clarifying.

All I want are: the old H 124's and I 132 back!

JD

Man, I haven't thought about the I-132 in 10+ years, probably 15 years. You really stirred some memories there... Wasn't that a nearly full I in 38? Need to research the H-124, or go back through my Earl Cagle videos. If I only had VHS!

TALON and Rcktnut - Many thanks for clearing this up. All of this makes much more sense to me now.

Charlie - A huge thanks to you for joining us and following up with our concerns. A great sigh of relief.

Thanks!
Dennis

Yes! I 132 was a Full I motor with about a 5 sec burn.
The H 124 was AT version of the Vulcan H 100 SS.
It was a 29 mm x 10" long Cert motor ( I still have the casing); with thick Black smoke using Fast Black propellant formula.

JD

Man, I haven't thought about the I-132 in 10+ years, probably 15 years. You really stirred some memories there... Wasn't that a nearly full I in 38? Need to research the H-124, or go back through my Earl Cagle videos. If I only had VHS!

Rocket motors attached to bumpers of vehicles? No certification required to buy? Slap your money down and do with it as you please? I wonder what the first settlement value will be?

I was one of the members who was ready to stop using Aerotech if the jethitch product hit the public. I am encouraged by your fast response to our concerns as well as to the opening of a direct line if communication here. Many have expressed a feeling that the communication to and from your company was non-existent. I hope that your participation in this community is not just a response to the jethitch backlash and that it will be a permanent thing. To that end might I suggest upgrading your forum membership to give you unlimited private message space? Already it seems your inbox has become full and this prevents members from contacting you privately. I want to state I am not affiliated with the forum and gain nothing from you paying a membership, I just feel in your position as the contact point for a major vendor keeping lines open is important.
Secondly, I fly both AT and CTI and one frustration I have with CTI is that due to their simplified plastic forward closure it is difficult to use them in minimum diameter rockets and even their tapped 54mm closure it's only for retention and can't be used to anchor recovery harnesses. I hope you consider these problems with your RMS-EZ line.

the comments regarding more colors for 29/40-120 and more hazmat free reloads are spot on. I throw a non hazmat load or two in every order I make. I now have 38 and 54mm AT hardware but have not flown it yet because of hazmat charges. waiting for LDRS so I can pick them up. my local vendor only sells CTI. Right now AT owns the market on 24 and 29mm motors, nobody can touch your prices. don't get lazy or you'll lose it.

Also, just for giggles, how about a Green 38/1320 :)
Sure, why not.:p That is something I would need to ask Karl Baumann. Are you partial to the Mojave Green or the 1320 case? Both?

And now for something positive..... 8583' and 931 MPH. yea, I love this case.

17612107379_3410a67086_c.jpg

Lets see, 38/720 and 1080 blue. Yep, thats the ticket. 1080 Dark Matter would be kool too. 54/2520 blue.. I can go on forever!! I would REALLY love to see the 98/15360 N2220 DM load brought back!!

As I told Gary, I am a Green Mojave fan. I would love to see it expanded to the entire case family.

Charlie-It was a pleasure meeting you and talking at SpringFest. Thanks for the DMS motor and drilling the delay for me. It was so impressive I'm ordering 5 more! Two great pics were taken at liftoff and I hope to be back in October to re-create that flight (with a few mods!). Sorry I didn't get to thank you properly as I was hurriedly trying to get back into town to see about the rear window getting replaced. Needless to say, I was impressed to see you on the field as I'm sure the workweek just seemed extended to you over the weekend. Kudos again!
(p.s.-if you want the flight details, you have my card or just let me know if you want me to e-mail you. I picked up the remains on the way out and did the forensics back in San Diego. FWIW, the motor performed flawlessly, but I botched the mechanical interface.)

Last edited:
To Charlie and Aerotech

I would like to see you folks produce factory delay grains (or single use motors) that could be used in conjunction with a black powder sustainer motor in a two (or more) staged airframe. I have done some experimentation along this line which has been chronicled here https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=12147 The most recent experiments begin at post number 25.

Thanks for your consideration.

Thanks and welcome to the forum!

I have been using your Hobbyline products, particularly the 24/40 and 29/40-120 cases, and I love them. Particularly the Hazmat free reloads.

I have not obtained my L1, but recently purchased a set of 29mm High Power and 38mm cases, so I echo calls to maintain production for RMS motors for these cases.

I also really like the 29mm screw on retainer that you came out with last Fall. It is at the perfect pricepoint for MP rockets where I don't want to pay more for the motor retention than I did for the rest of the rocket, but still want a high quality easy to use retainer. At the time of their release the press release said that 38mm and 54mm versions would be coming soon. Any update on when that might be? I started my L1 project, and would love to use one of the Aerotech 38mm retainers in it, but I need to make a decision soon.

I'd like to thank AT/RCS for adding some cool stuff to the RCS web store recently. New FG cases look great and the new 98mm graphite nozzle is awesome (already bought one).

Back