AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they have to be cut and cored to get under 30g but man it would be sweet to buy grains non haz that could be used as EX.

I think you could get away without cores, but yea, would have to be cut to 1.5"

The standard 29 RMS mm AT propellant grain length is 1 3/4". The standard 29/40-120 AT propellant grain length is 2".

To be USPS shippable without coring, you are stuck with 1.5" grain lengths, and after you core them they contain ~ 22.5 grams of propellant. The shorter grains will produce an even more regressive thrust curve than the stock AT 29 mm motors which doesn't seem worth it.

Furthermore cutting and packaging is not free. It's going to cost AT money to cut and package each grain. $0.50 per cut is what I would consider a minimum so add a minimum of $4 to the stick price for the 8 cuts required to get 9 grains. And they you have to core it. You net cost will be ~$31.50 per pound of propellant after coring. If you're into ex, is this what you are paying for propellant?

yea, who wants a regressive thrust curve in a small motor? https://www.thrustcurve.org/simfilesearch.jsp?id=1088 (psssst...I do.)

I think .50 cents a cut is pretty steep. They're not slicing these things out by hand. And I'm sure they can handle bagging grains. Sure there would be some increase in cost, but not prohibitive compared to the hazmat fee.

$10 a stick is cheap. Even if it went to $15 for 7 grains you're making out. Sure, EX is cheaper, but for someone who just wants to make a few small 2-3 grain motors without going "all in", or just have some easy to fly "fun day" motors, it's a good idea.

yea, who wants a regressive thrust curve in a small motor? https://www.thrustcurve.org/simfilesearch.jsp?id=1088 (psssst...I do.)

I think .50 cents a cut is pretty steep. They're not slicing these things out by hand. And I'm sure they can handle bagging grains. Sure there would be some increase in cost, but not prohibitive compared to the hazmat fee.

$10 a stick is cheap. Even if it went to $15 for 7 grains you're making out. Sure, EX is cheaper, but for someone who just wants to make a few small 2-3 grain motors without going "all in", or just have some easy to fly "fun day" motors, it's a good idea.

Actually, $.50/ cut is standard, and I think you'll find it is done by hand. Go to Home Depot and ask them to cut a piece of wood on the saw. They charge for it. $15 for 7 grains, but then add in the cost of liner, nozzle, orings, delay....just buy the commercial load and you'll be saving money.

OK, so where along the way did 38mm nozzles change from .630 to .808 in diameter?

I bought my first reload for my (used) 360 case, and I have a small opening aft closure and got a large nozzle. Are the small nozzles even used anymore? Is my current aft closure just a paperweight now?

OK, so where along the way did 38mm nozzles change from .630 to .808 in diameter?

I bought my first reload for my (used) 360 case, and I have a small opening aft closure and got a large nozzle. Are the small nozzles even used anymore? Is my current aft closure just a paperweight now?

I've seen people open them up with a lathe

Actually, $.50/ cut is standard, and I think you'll find it is done by hand. Go to Home Depot and ask them to cut a piece of wood on the saw. They charge for it. $15 for 7 grains, but then add in the cost of liner, nozzle, orings, delay....just buy the commercial load and you'll be saving money.

Actually HD makes cuts for free :p Did it last week. I understand it will add cost. I do not believe AT is hand cutting grains with a fillet knife. :p

And since I'd skip the delay and nozzle, and use a snap ring case... there'd be a savings. That's why I asked.

Last edited:
Actually HD makes cuts for free :p Did it last week. I understand it will add cost. I do not believe AT is hand cutting grains with a fillet knife. :p

And since I'd skip the delay and nozzle, and use a snap ring case... there'd be a savings. That's why I asked.

Home depot here charges, trust me, I had cuts done a few weeks ago :)

quick stupid question - with the new AT24/60 loads coming out, I am more interested in this case. Does it take the same closures as a 24/40, or is it a completely different animal? I'd like to be able to just buy the case minus closures, if possible.

quick stupid question - with the new AT24/60 loads coming out, I am more interested in this case. Does it take the same closures as a 24/40, or is it a completely different animal? I'd like to be able to just buy the case minus closures, if possible.

Not the same, they are more heavy duty. In my opinion they are much nicer than the littler 24/40's.

How about successful launches with the L1000? Any good stories? Photos? What altitudes and speeds have people reached in what rockets?

I've got one waiting for the right conditions and I'm curious about what others have done.

I missed two other L1000 DMS motors this day (while schlepping around looking for my ill fated rocket :(), but I did manage to catch this slick flight with an L1000W DMS air starting a pair of I200 White Lightning RMS's:

[video=youtube;mHCpCtJ23YA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHCpCtJ23YA[/video]

I seem to recall altitude was ~11k.

Last edited:
[video=youtube;GL1E-HZOPUw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL1E-HZOPUw[/video]

Finally flew the K1103X I got from pyrobob a few months back in a 4" rocket. It kicked pretty well! Also it showed me that nobody has really heard of propellant x yet.

We really need more Aerotech products here on the westcoast of Canada! In Vic and Vancouver nobody is carrying Aerotech products because they can't find anyone who carries them. Aerotech should be canvassing ALL model rocket carrying hobby shops, especially BC
Shavers and HOBBIES, who believe that AeroTech is banned in BC. lol

They don't have a friggin clue... They need an Aerotech rep to call them.

Dave,

I spoke with the machinist Friday and they are running them today so about 4-6 business days and we will be back in stock.

Hi Charlie,

Are there any updates on the 54/1280? Did the machinist get caught up?

Cheers,
Michael

Any updates on the non-Hazmat 29/40-120 loads? I've got a LOC 4-29SS on the way, so I'll be investing a bit more heavily in 29mm in the near future.

-Hans

Yep, but there was a lot of back and forth earlier in the thread regarding F's, and making non-hazmat's of those too.

Any updates on the non-Hazmat 29/40-120 loads? I've got a LOC 4-29SS on the way, so I'll be investing a bit more heavily in 29mm in the near future.

-Hans

Untill The F reloads are shipable. One word Econojet. No hazmat and no hardware to buy.

Is there any way we could get a more thorough delay grain chart that includes extra long delays?

Hi Charlie,

Are there any updates on the 54/1280? Did the machinist get caught up?

Cheers,
Michael

got the shipping notice. 54mm hardware I have had on order since Oct has been shipped and will be here byTuesday. And will be on the web site shortly after they are officially in.

Latest posts

Back