AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard to show facetiousness through the interweb :cool:.

Last edited:
Not only is the price going way up, the supply seems to be going way down. Guess that makes sense, basic economics, but... Anyone know of a source for PAPI 94?

Anyone who has flown the 54-2560 K375NW, is the grain bonding mentioned in this post still valid?

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?5175-aerotech-k365

Its a very old thread and the tail end mentions they are trying something new to make it more user friendly. The instruction sheet makes no mention of it, so I'm guessing the additional paper liner around the warp 9 grain is to support the white lightning grains after the W9 burns out.

Anyone who has flown the 54-2560 K375NW, is the grain bonding mentioned in this post still valid?

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?5175-aerotech-k365

Its a very old thread and the tail end mentions they are trying something new to make it more user friendly. The instruction sheet makes no mention of it, so I'm guessing the additional paper liner around the warp 9 grain is to support the white lightning grains after the W9 burns out.

I just picked a very fresh one and the instructions mention nothing about grain bonding.. I too was curious as I've had to bond grains in a CTI M-1300 Dual Thrust before. Maybe Charlie will chime in and answer the question for the both of us?

Yeah, I'm unaware of any required grain bonding for the K375NW. I'm guessing reloads issued by Aerotech are post-tweak per the link referenced above.

Hi Charlie,

Two questions for you:

1. Any word on the new 38mm kit being available in time for the holidays?

2. If ordering an existing Aerotech Kit ie. Initiator, HV Arcas etc from one of the more popular online sources, will
it be a kit that includes the new motor retention system? Have the older kits with the motor hooks worked their
way out of inventories?

Thank You

Another random question, I have a 54/1280 casing and the 54mm RAS, and wanted to fly a 54/426 load (I117FJ). But the rocket I want to fly it in has the Aero Pack M54E and no bottom retainer (I had to hacksaw the slimline threaded retainer after it got crimped landing on a rock, and there's not enough BT left before the fins to attach a new one). In the 38mm system there's a "spoked & threaded" version of the RAS forward retainer (I think AT calls it the 38FCRRA?). Is there an equivalent part for the 54mm RAS? I'm not finding one. I don't need spokes (it can be solid) as I'm not doing motor eject (the M54E doesn't have bypass holes anyhow), a solid closure would be fine. I assume the normal tapped closures (54FCPT and 54FCEPT) can't be used in place of the RAS forward retainer? Thanks.

Oz, I spoke with Karl today and it looks like your liner was cut a bit too long. PM me your addy and I'll send a replacement. Or if you are comfortable trimming the liner that is also an option.

Good Morning Charlie. I got the replacement liner yesterday and I thought that I would let you know that the old one is approx. 1/4" longer than the replacement. That should take good care of my problem. Thanks again for your help with this matter. Oz

pcalviln - I flew a recently bought K375NW a few weeks ago - no grain bonding in the directions, worked great!
-Tim

How did you like the motor and burn time? I'm planning on sending up my 3" rocket on one which weighs about 12-13 lbs. loaded.

On the "dream list" of motors...... Does anyone else wish there was a 29/160 RMS with Full packed G loads in red/green/white/blue that are still non hazmat? (there's a blackjack in 180 thats a G, so thats covered)

It's mostly irrelevant, I can fly all the H's under 4.4oz anyways, and I basically only fly under a waiver.... but I feel like the "big G" motors should be closer to 160 N, not rocking out at 120... And I'd fly them....

I get what you are saying but instead of a new case coming along, I'd settle for more 120 loads. I love my 120 case, it just feels like the perfect smallish field sport rocket motor and would welcome with open arms a Blue and a Green for it.

I get what you are saying but instead of a new case coming along, I'd settle for more 120 loads. I love my 120 case, it just feels like the perfect smallish field sport rocket motor and would welcome with open arms a Blue and a Green for it.

much agreed. make those core burns and I don't care if they're over 80N average. Cleaning the 120 is much easier than the hobbyline case.

Another random question, I have a 54/1280 casing and the 54mm RAS, and wanted to fly a 54/426 load (I117FJ). But the rocket I want to fly it in has the Aero Pack M54E and no bottom retainer (I had to hacksaw the slimline threaded retainer after it got crimped landing on a rock, and there's not enough BT left before the fins to attach a new one). In the 38mm system there's a "spoked & threaded" version of the RAS forward retainer (I think AT calls it the 38FCRRA?). Is there an equivalent part for the 54mm RAS? I'm not finding one. I don't need spokes (it can be solid) as I'm not doing motor eject (the M54E doesn't have bypass holes anyhow), a solid closure would be fine. I assume the normal tapped closures (54FCPT and 54FCEPT) can't be used in place of the RAS forward retainer? Thanks.

aeropack sells a 54mm retainer that bolts on, needs to be flush motormount/ring area. I have them in stock if you want one.

Hello Charlie,

Haven't heard from you for a while on here. I'm hoping you're still following this. Many of us agree that the direct feedback here is a very good step in customer relations.

I only fly Estes and AT motors at present and I love them. And I'm not suggesting you try to "copy" CTI. That being said, my wife would love to an AT motor in pink. Especially if it's =<G80 power. She doesn't have her L1 and doesn't care a lot about getting it.

Beyond the awesomeness of just having the motor, there's an incredible marketing opportunity. Every pink motor sold includes a donation to Breast Cancer Research. I have little doubt that the Susan G. Komen foundation would get on board with this. And just think of all the pink rockets with pink motors that would fly in October.

aeropack sells a 54mm retainer that bolts on, needs to be flush motormount/ring area. I have them in stock if you want one.

I guess I hadn't mentioned, it's a 54mm MD rocket (GLR Firestorm 54), so there's nothing to bolt a retainer onto. I really need something that threads to the top of the casing, not securing it from underneath. I'm not interested in buying a ton of cases, I like the idea of spacers/RAS, so I guess this rocket will be limited to CTI 54mm loads since Aero Pack has a solution for them. Just too bad that AT came up with a solution for 38mm and doesn't seem to have a 54mm equivalent. Thanks anyway.

ATGM,

Have you ever considered a Kickstarter type product development program? All that is happening in this thread is identifying what products you do not offer, which is a simple exercise of making a matrix with your cases along the x-axis and your propellants along the y-axis. Check the box for those that you offer and if there's no check come post about it here!

The issue with this thread is that you're counting on people's "internet word" that they will buy these products en masse when they become available. You may as well take that R&D money to Vegas and put it all on red because 50/50 odds are comparatively good odds.

My proposition is as follows...you develop a Kickstarter-type shopping cart where you generate a list of "possible offerings" as a result of people's posts here, or your own desired products. Offer the product at something like 80% of retail until you hit the necessary funds to make it happen, say $2500 or something. If you don't reach the minimum amount, the product gets put on the back burner and people get their money back. This is the only way to tie people's "internet word" or verbal intentions to their wallets...and ultimately to your products.

You would still develop other NPI on the side if it's not simply "add propellant _____ to the 38/120 case please."

At the end of the day you're still a hobby-oriented company with limited capability. Too many SKU's can be problematic, so if you're going to add them you may as well add them tactically.

It's a really interesting idea, I can see the benefits. After we get the lines filled out to meet our current goals (new 24/60 loads) this may be something we explore. Thanks for the idea.

It would be nice if you could offer this as an Experimental Motor Kit, with all the parts and glue for us research folks.

What we discovered at BALLS is that a DMS EMK is a highly thought of idea and we will be adding them to the RCS site this week. We are waiting for some more of the cases to come in before doing this particular EMK but it will be available soon.

With the CTI M2250 now OOP, I would love to see a 75mm M in Propellant X. You can't beat high thrust AND high impulse. It would be my go-to 75 for sure. I also really like the idea posted above ^^^ regarding product development and consumer demand.

We have Prop X on deck for several new cases, the 75mm is one of the first we want to test. Another one is for the 38/720 case.

I just picked a very fresh one and the instructions mention nothing about grain bonding.. I too was curious as I've had to bond grains in a CTI M-1300 Dual Thrust before. Maybe Charlie will chime in and answer the question for the both of us?

Sorry for the delayed response, I spoke with Karl and he said that bonding the W9 grain isn't absolutely necessary but it doesn't hurt either. I am going to see about revising the instructions so there is no confusion.

Hi Charlie,

Two questions for you:

1. Any word on the new 38mm kit being available in time for the holidays?

2. If ordering an existing Aerotech Kit ie. Initiator, HV Arcas etc from one of the more popular online sources, will
it be a kit that includes the new motor retention system? Have the older kits with the motor hooks worked their
way out of inventories?

Thank You

Hi, thanks for the questions. The 38mm kit is almost completed, we are working on the instructions and a couple other items. I expect it to be ready for the holidays but I still need to do a bit of testing before announcing anything official.

Regarding the kits and retaining rings, it is difficult to determine what current levels of inventory are but the best answer is just to ask the supplier. I know some dealers bought the retaining rings a la carte and added them to their inventoried kits themselves.

I'll throw my 2 cents in, I'd like to see a blackjack reload for the 29/360 case, like a long H-97....For my Titan II/DynaSoar I need a mild long push....The H-97 thrust curve is perfect, but a longer burn would be nice.

Frank

Last edited:

As of now we do not offer a closure that fits the description. There is a 38mm closure (38FCRRA: 38 Fwd Closure Retaining Ring w/Anchor) that can work with the 38RAS but there is not a 54mm variety available. I have heard of enterprising rocketeers drilling a couple 1/8" holes in the forward closure retaining ring and connecting from there.

We have new hobby loads in development and this is one of them :)

We have Prop X on deck for several new cases, the 75mm is one of the first we want to test. Another one is for the 38/720 case.
Yes Please :)

We have new hobby loads in development and this is one of them :)

It's a really interesting idea, I can see the benefits. After we get the lines filled out to meet our current goals (new 24/60 loads) this may be something we explore. Thanks for the idea.

Nate

Back