AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I watched the video of the 75mm Crossloads on YouTube.
Their example is loading a L-1150R into a CTI case.
Now I am really confused, either they ALSO use the large single-throat nozzle with that reload, too, or just use that one for the video.
L1150R Video- crossloads.jpg

Dave, I emailed Charlie asking him to check out this thread and comment.
Thank you everyone with the help.
I spoke to Karl and confirmed what Chris said about the nozzle.
The multi-port nozzle was an issue when using it with the Nozzle Carrier in the CTI hardware. The outer ports were just too close to the nozzle carrier. The Medusa nozzle is real short so the aft of the nozzle is flush with the nozzle carrier and it created too much heat there.
AT calculated what size single nozzle would work with each load (I'm sure they had lots of those blank nozzles in their inventory) and that is what was in my bag of parts. The L-1150R -3g nozzle was 0.594".
I understand that eventually a lot of those reloads will go to the newer single-throat nozzle you see for instance in the M-1297, one of my favorites.

I've been flying 3, 4, 5 grains for a while now and I don't recall having any Medusa nozzles in my reload kits. This is in standard AT hardware. I think it would be fairly obvious if I had a medusa nozzle since I like to beef up my igniters.

The G8 Super Thunder end burner is now certified. See attached certification letter.

Attachments

• Aerotech G8 Super Thunder TMT Certification 7-4-18.pdf
    257.5 KB · Views: 207
I recently looked at the aerotech crossload motor matrix and noticed that the 75mm section had shrunk since the last time I'd looked. Did certification fall through for the 75/6400 and 75/7680 reloads or something?

The main issue with a few of the crossloads is that if they use a medusa which requires the outboards drilled they can torch the retaining ring on the CTI hardware. We are working on eliminating this issue with the production of the smaller single-throat 75mm nozzle under development.

So, assembling a AT M1550R for Airfest. Fairly new motor from my main source... This is the second 75mm motor that I've gotten lately that's had this seal disc o-ring that was included in the kits...
Not happy. At least I'm not assembling it on the field...
Maybe I just need to tie it in a knot to use up the extra rubber o_O

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

I'm proud of you Adrian.. most people wouldn't admit in public to needing the smaller diameter.

On another note- here is my regular question about the 29/40-120 red load :) Any updates on this?

Also- is the 29/40-120 sparky load (Metalstorm?) permanently canned?

That is a problem Adrian. That is not good- as a matter of fact that is the opposite of good.

Seriously, contact Aerotech about this. Considering you had another like this perhaps Charlie might want to look into this.

I was inspecting a J570 reload last night and realized that the label attached indicates a total impulse of 1060 Ns. This is roughly 10% higher than the total thrust listed on Thrustcurve (973 Ns).

The data on Thrustcurve.org is 10-12 years old, and I seem to recall that Aerotech has been re-validating or re-certifying reloads.

Which data is accurate? Is this a case of a retested motor?

Which thrust profile should I be using? Obviously, a 10% variation could mean the difference between a busted waiver and a legal flight, and I'll be playing it safe, but in the interests of accurate simulations...

Thanks

So, assembling a AT M1550R for Airfest. Fairly new motor from my main source... This is the second 75mm motor that I've gotten lately that's had this seal disc o-ring that was included in the kits...
Not happy. At least I'm not assembling it on the field...

Well that's no good, if you haven't already received the correct ones please let me know and I will get them out to you.

I'm proud of you Adrian.. most people wouldn't admit in public to needing the smaller diameter.

On another note- here is my regular question about the 29/40-120 red load :) Any updates on this?

Also- is the 29/40-120 sparky load (Metalstorm?) permanently canned?

The 40-120 projects have been put aside as we work to release the Q-Jets. I do believe you will see the 40-120 redline reload available before the year is over. As for the sparky that is a different issue which involves shipping exemptions so it's tough to say.

I was inspecting a J570 reload last night and realized that the label attached indicates a total impulse of 1060 Ns. This is roughly 10% higher than the total thrust listed on Thrustcurve (973 Ns).

The data on Thrustcurve.org is 10-12 years old, and I seem to recall that Aerotech has been re-validating or re-certifying reloads.

Which data is accurate? Is this a case of a retested motor?

Which thrust profile should I be using? Obviously, a 10% variation could mean the difference between a busted waiver and a legal flight, and I'll be playing it safe, but in the interests of accurate simulations...

Thanks

We likely fired a J570 just for the thrust curve for the label so that data is more up to date.

I had misplaced my 2 second delay drill spacer. I think I found it. Can anyone confirm its size. My calipers read about .056".

Flew a H219T-14A and a H-123W for L-1 cert last weekend and passed. Bought an H-130W without hazmat and a RMS 38-240 casing after borrowing that hardware for cert.

Just want to thank Aerotech for making L-1 easier. I love how the H-130W doesn’t need hazmat.

The I180W for the 38-360 case is a great reload and is also without hazmat. I wish they would come out with a similar reload for the 38-480 case.

The I180W for the 38-360 case is a great reload and is also without hazmat. I wish they would come out with a similar reload for the 38-480 case.

If they did, then that would be a yet another I-motor...
As of now, AT HazMat-free motors are one per impulse level: H-130/I-180/J-520 White Lightning motors.

Alas the last one seams to exist only on paper, with all of the usual retailers showing it as n/a or out-of-stock.

a

I do not know about the long term practicality of the J520W. It uses the 1080 case (which is not as common in people collections), but has about the same total impulse as reloads for the smaller 720 case. The difference in cost is 40% of the cost of hazmat shipping. It is only certified for electronics which limits its use for many L2 certification flights. Adding 2 more grains for a reload for the 480 case should be fairly easy and would compete with the loki hazmat free reloads which cannot be flown in California.

Don’t forget that most of the 29mm reloads are hazmat free ( except the black jacks ) so there is more simulatities. I’d pick the 29mm I200w over the 38mm I 180w most of the time to save a couple bucks. Now if the was one for the 480 case it would have more impulse and give me a reason to pick it.

Now this would me a mute point if the motor vendor at the launches I go to could get his hands on more motors to stock, but that is a different story.

Last edited:
Has anyone else noticed on the I-205's with 3d printed thrust ring, they won't fit into my aeropac or pml retainers and seat fully so that the cap can be screwed on, I have to hand file the ring down so that they will fit.

Frank

Back