AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
uh, what about the black powder? Or are you just saying "don't indiscriminately chuck the stuff you drilled out of the delay, save it and dispose of it responsibly"?

The delay of a DMS isn't black powder. It is APCP like the propellant. Pyrobob is saying to remember to install the ejection charge after drilling the delay.

I don't have any special tricks other than to make sure the igniter is all the way installed. My personal choice at launches are DMS motors just to help save time on the flight line. You will need to add the small washer and then the black powder after you have drilled the delay, then it is ready to go.

Thanks, y'all. I like that I'm doing the ejection charge myself, that means I can tailor it to exactly what I want...

I believe the washer subtracts two seconds from the amount you're taking off the delay.

So if you're set to "remove 4 seconds from the delay" and you put the washer in, then it takes 2 seconds off the delay.

I am sure this has been asked before but what is the washer for?

The washer goes into the powder well of the bulkhead after you drill the delay. The powder is then poured into the well and over the washer. The washer ensures a powerful ejection charge so that none if the ejection escapes out of the aft end through the nozzle.

I believe the washer subtracts two seconds from the amount you're taking off the delay.

So if you're set to "remove 4 seconds from the delay" and you put the washer in, then it takes 2 seconds off the delay.

I think they were referring to the small silver washer for the powder well, but the drill tool washer works exactly as you described.

I think they were referring to the small silver washer for the powder well, but the drill tool washer works exactly as you described.

I don't see any mention of such a washer (for the powder well) in the instruction set... Might be worth an update, for something as critical as ejection charge.

Yes I was talking about the washer used in the BB charge well. The first time I seen the washer I thought it was a part for something else and never used it. All work out well but have used it ever since.

Is the washer new? I have not seen a washer in all of the DMS motors I have flown to date. If they were there I must have discarded them since they were not in the instructions.

Is the washer new? I have not seen a washer in all of the DMS motors I have flown to date. If they were there I must have discarded them since they were not in the instructions.

It's relatively new. I guesstimate it was around 10 months ago when they started to include them.

All DMS motors come with a small silver washer in the small bag with the igniter, red cap and powder capsule. It was implemented last year and the instructions do include them. If you had some of the older motors they would not have them.

The last DMS motor I flew was purchased fall of 2015, maybe even older than that. I just received a new batch. I will check those.

What is the function of the washer?

I believe it is to reduce the size of the touch hole. I think the hole size is 1/4" to drill the delay, which is pretty large compared to the normal sized touch hole in the regular hardware. Need more BP for a touch hole that is so large, lots of the energy from the BP going out the back end/ nozzle. I have some older DMS without the washer and was wondering about getting some of those washers to use.

any news on the new 24/60 loads, and the 29/40-120 red load?

Is the washer metal? Does this washer then get ejected (as there is some BP below it)? I wouldn't like the idea of a metal washer getting thrown up into my recovery system.

Charlie, Hi, getting ready to re-order 24mm RC casings soon, any word on the new plugged closure for the standard casing, ie eta?

Frank

Charlie, Hi, getting ready to re-order 24mm RC casings soon, any word on the new plugged closure for the standard casing, ie eta?

Frank

Hi Frank,

The plugged 24mm closure will be a bigger project than anticipated so for now it is on the back burner. Maybe after we get the 24/60 loads released we can start back up on them.

I sure enjoyed flying with you last weekend Charlie.

That K2050 Super Thunder was a wickedly fun motor .

Looking forward to purchasing what you allowed us to peek at .

Kenny

Looking for the new F67 Economax motors. :) My credit card is ready. Where can they be purchased?

Q for the AT GM...

Last September, Gary brought out and demo'd a new SU, 3 grain 98 in White Lightning. Pretty much a SU version of the M1419. I understand we're going to be flying some of those this year at ARLISS.

I need to know if that motor has a threaded boss on the forward end, and if so, what size threads? I'm building a new ARLISS-M, and I need a place to attach my recovery harness.

Any enlightenment you might provide will be greatly appreciated.

Back