AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all,

So I am purchasing an N3300 today. Has anyone ever flown that specific motor in a CTI Pro98 6G case? I have flown a couple N2000 reloads in the 6G case with no issues but I figured I would check.

I know it's not certified but this is flying at Balls so it doesn't matter.

Thanks!

I talked with Tim yesterday. Aerotech switched to the fwd seal disk on those motors a few years ago. The loads I flew in the 6G case were old and did not use one. That casing was a little beat up with pitting at the forward end but showed no blistering.

We'll see how everything fits up!

Frankly, it is surprising that CTI does not have one for their motors.

CTI seems to be relying on tight tolerances between casing and liner, enabled by custom drawn aluminum tubing. Jeroen once mentioned that the N5800 wouldn't be possible otherwise, but as far as I remember without mentioning a specific reason. This aproach won't work if AT and CTI components get mixed, whereas ATs seal disc will (provided there is enough room for it).

Reinhard

Last edited:
CTI seems to be relying on tight tolerances between casing and liner, enabled by custom drawn aluminum tubing. Jeroen once mentioned that the N5800 wouldn't be possible otherwise, but as far as I remember without mentioning a specific reason. This aproach won't work if AT and CTI components get mixed, whereas ATs seal disc will (provided there is enough room for it).

Reinhard

That is all good until the liner has a flaw and the crap hits the fan. Ask me how I know about that. Frankly, an o ring and seal disk seems like a great idea as it has proven to work. I also wonder why an o ring is not in place between the nozzle and liner.

Before the RMS RC 24mm cases came out, I flew a number of the normal 24 mm RMS reloads (E18s and such) in my venerable Estes Stratoblaster. Simply packed the ejection charge area tightly with dog barf and taped it closed with several layers of masking tape. Worked fine and is less "permanent" than the JB Weld option.

Back in the day I would fly the case in a rocket glider and then in a normal rocket with motor ejection on the same day.

Having said all that, I would probably go ahead and buy a plugged forward closure for my 24mm hardware if it does become available.

We did this for the 18mm hardware and while we do occasionally sell one here or there they are not very popular. We had to order almost 1,000 so we have those in stock :) A 24mm plugged closure can be done, it just depends on when.

SCORE! Thanks Charlie. This is very good news. I can't wait to burn some 29mm ST in my small stuff. Very happy camper!

I know it has taken a bit longer than expected but we are working our way down the line and beginning to fill in some of the holes. We expect the ST to do well in the smaller cases.

This is great news for me, I have a dual deploy Argent that I have been feeding the single use H115 DM to for a while, it would be nice to have a cheaper reload for it. My D region Tomahawk flies well on the 24/60 F35, having some more choices for that casing would be great!

The 24/60 loads are still being dialed in but those loads are on the way.

I bought an I140 on Friday and found a new part in it, a metal washer. Updated paper instructions in the package refer to it as "ejection charge baffle washer." I don't use motor ejection on these, but I'm curious about this innovation. What does it do? What problem does it solve?

Ari.

Along the lines of what Pyrobob replied with, the washer ensures that the ejection pushes towards the forward end and not through the nozzle. It also provides quite an increase in the power of the ejection charge.

My understanding was due to a couple early ejections at or around burn out to prevent the flame from getting around the delay and setting off the ejection charge. I have seen a couple of these happen. And this is the reason Karl gave one of the flyers with the early ejection. You know it may actually be a preventitive measure on both.

Bob,

The issue you describe was based on the cycling temps of the EZ reloads. The washer is just to improve the power of the ejection charge.

At NSL 2016, Charlie was talking about the new part. It's designed to strengthen the ejection charge. Since I haven't dealt with the issue myself, I cannot speak on the actual effect. Just relaying the info I gleaned.

Excellent gleaning, you are correct. :wink:

Hey all,

So I am purchasing an N3300 today. Has anyone ever flown that specific motor in a CTI Pro98 6G case? I have flown a couple N2000 reloads in the 6G case with no issues but I figured I would check.

I know it's not certified but this is flying at Balls so it doesn't matter.

Thanks!

Like Wildman said, use the 98FSD and you'll be good to go. I know they're not certified yet but hang in there, it's on the way.

I plan on flying an L-1000 DMS this weekend, I can't find anything online wrt instructions, I'm not using motor ejection, is there any assembly/gluing needed on these, still need to re-glue or masking tape thrust ring any more or are they really just plug and play. Normally I use rms.

Frank

I plan on flying an L-1000 DMS this weekend, I can't find anything online wrt instructions, I'm not using motor ejection, is there any assembly/gluing needed on these, still need to re-glue or masking tape thrust ring any more or are they really just plug and play.
I saturated my thrust ring with thin CA just to be safe, it looked secure enough. Otherwise the flight went fine, motor eject was a little late but if you're not using it that won't matter. Have fun!

I plan on flying an L-1000 DMS this weekend, I can't find anything online wrt instructions, I'm not using motor ejection, is there any assembly/gluing needed on these, still need to re-glue or masking tape thrust ring any more or are they really just plug and play. Normally I use rms.

Frank

I saturated my thrust ring with thin CA just to be safe, it looked secure enough. Otherwise the flight went fine, motor eject was a little late but if you're not using it that won't matter. Have fun!

I did a similar thing on the L1000 that I did the Cherokee D's check flight on, basically I wiped a bit of epoxy around the mmt side of the thrust ring. I did still use about a 1/4" wide tape thrust ring just in front of the motors thrust ring to make totally certain that nothing was wrong.

Ok, I'll see how it looks, I was concerned about putting a thrust ring with tape and then not being able to get the retainer on. I just wasn't sure what the official aerotech stance was on prep for flying these now.

Frank

I did a similar thing on the L1000 that I did the Cherokee D's check flight on, basically I wiped a bit of epoxy around the mmt side of the thrust ring. I did still use about a 1/4" wide tape thrust ring just in front of the motors thrust ring to make totally certain that nothing was wrong.

Ok, I'll see how it looks, I was concerned about putting a thrust ring with tape and then not being able to get the retainer on. I just wasn't sure what the official aerotech stance was on prep for flying these now.

Frank

I use Kaplow style clips for motor retention so the additional length of the tape ring was no big deal. Not sure how much play you can get with a AeroPack style retainer.

We did this for the 18mm hardware and while we do occasionally sell one here or there they are not very popular. We had to order almost 1,000 so we have those in stock :) A 24mm plugged closure can be done, it just depends on when.

I think that's a function of the available reloads for the 18mm casing. The 24mm has a lot more choices so the casing itself is more popular. Thanks for taking the time to circle back to this.

kj

I am surprised I have not seen a release notice on the new L2500 or the M4500 ST. That L2500 has a nice thrust curve . It is like the M2500's little brother .

L1000 flight went perfect, motor had no thrust ring, had to build up tape ring and trim to fit the aerooack retainer. I wish I could still find 1/2" masking tape.

I think that's a function of the available reloads for the 18mm casing. The 24mm has a lot more choices so the casing itself is more popular. Thanks for taking the time to circle back to this.

kj

Absolutely. I bet there are 8-10 times more 24mm RC cases in service than the plugged 18mm case.

I did fly my first D2.3 in a new rocket glider at NARAM yesterday. Excellent little RC RG motor and I had a fantastic flight with it in my new semi scale Black Horse spaceplane model. The model is small with a 19" wingspan and light at just over 5oz, perfect for the D2.3.

There will also be a new kit called the 'Arreauxbee-Hi' coming out.

It was displayed and flown at NARAM-58.

001 Arreauxbee-Hi ready for launch at NARAM-58.jpg 005 Liftoff!.jpg

Still no word on the Aerotech dealer in Alberta? At least I have not heard anything. Also, is there any progress on 54 mm 426 NS motors for the Canadian market?
Seeing the DMS motors show up in Canada and on the NRCan list as authorized is a good sign. It means you are sending new motors to Canada again. Awesome!

Back