AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And like others have said why don't they offer the reloads in both formats, EZ and the original RMS+???

I hope they don't. As a dealer, it is hard to stock all the different products, and having two different styles for the exact same reload would make us pick one or the other.

I hope they don't. As a dealer, it is hard to stock all the different products, and having two different styles for the exact same reload would make us pick one or the other.

I agree, drop the EZ's and RDK's and keep the RMS+ all with long delays and let us do our thing!!

I guess i am lucky.. i flew a few of the early RMS-EZ loads without issue and more recently the H550 ST .

For me , i like the RMS EZ because I did invest in some hardware and want to use it. Also i squaked off about AT hardware cost and the floating forward closure retaining ring is substantially less expensive than the traditional one.

Also have squacked off concerning i wish all the loads shipped with a long delay so the RMS EZ answers that call also.

RMS-EZ is easier to clean also..no more digging out the charred remains of the delay from the forward closure.

The only negative i see is that the price for a single use retainer for RMS-EZ and DMS was like $15 ...it glues on to the charge well.. but is much cheaper than replacing hardware, so i will shut up .

Kenny

Nah, I didn't see it. Thanks for pointing it out. That's a step in the right direction but it would be cool if all the loads were shipped with only one delay, the longest possible. No extra kits to buy, keep or figure out.

We are shipping the CRDKs for dealers to have for their current stock so the flyers can have the option at no charge. Beyond that the RMS-EZs will come with the EZ preassembled delay module as well as the traditional delay assembly.

Yes, post it on Facebook, Twitter, what have you. All are great tools. Just please keep in mind not everyone is enamored of social media and some of us would just like to go to a web site and find the info they want without looking through all the baby pictures, political rants, divorce stories, and videos of Dave Brunsting swimming in the grease pit that mucks the place up.

OK the last one I want to see.

I must not be in the right circle. All I get is PLAY CRIMINAL CASE invites.

Al, you are Facebooking all wrong. You set up an account, don't accept any friends so you don't have to sift through their attention seeking crap. Just like the companies you want and keep up with their crap that way. I get more F1, fly fishing and rocket stuff that way than another means.

Great Life Pro Tip. You can have a personal one but it is pretty easy to have another, unaffiliated account to run company pages.

Dave, that seems silly for a company with a relatively static product line. Once Aerotech has an updated website the maintenance is minimal. Oh a couple new motors- should not be a big deal.

Not a Facebook person now, nor will I become one.

Yeah we recognize a refresh is in order. My brother is holding the Initiator and he must have been like 12 or 13 in that photo. He's a grown man now. Between the Quest and AeroTech lines there is much updating to be done. I know the changes seem small but they are just temporary until we can get everything else we want accomplished.

I was looking up a reload kit(H178) on-line to find the total impulse. the site I was on had ALL the reloads sorted by brand/dia./case size/designation...it was so easy to find the info I was looking for(thanks Tim/Troj). perhaps someday in the not to distant future we will be able to do the same on the AT website(for AT products).
Rex

Gary is handling that now. It is a much larger project than you might think but you are right in that it should be very easy to access that information from the manufacturer. It will be on the site soon.

Please update the product data and online info for the F23 motor.

It has only 30 grams of propellant and lower total impulse than this 2004 version still lingering.....(Design changed in 2007)

https://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/c...nstructions/MR-SU_Instructions/EJ_F23-7FJ.pdf

This confuses TARC teams.

Actual data:

https://www.nar.org/SandT/pdf/Aerotech/F23FJ.pdf

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm still familiarizing myself with TARC and I understand them to be very particular with good cause. Great competition. I'll post the link here after it is corrected.

I have to imagine that this discussion was prompted at least in part by the immense amount of whining I had been doing about the company. Let me first start with a few more personal words -

Aerotech has meant a great deal to me over time. When I was a kid and got bored of Estes 18mm motors, it was Aerotech that kept me interested in the science of flight and the hobby of rocketry. When I got back into rockets last year, it was with an Aerotech kit, and the old favorite 29/40-120 casing. When I say that I want Aerotech to do well, I truly mean it. I have met Gary several times now and think the world of him, but question some recent business decisions. How can hardware be so difficult to obtain at the moment? Why not offer better certification specials? Why force RMS EZ on us? Some decisions, like limited hardware specials, amount to refusing Cesaroni might have a good idea. Others, like RMS EZ, seem like a bad copy. Then there is the gap in hardware availability, which is simply bad business. No one is buying motors without hardware.

I know that a new catalog is seen as an expense, but I hear no requests for a big beautiful glossy print production. A table of motors available and quality descriptions of propellants would suffice for now. Heck, leave text like "Description - To Do" out of the pages and it will be categorically better than the competition. What in blazes is Super Thunder? What about New Thunder? Are they the same? Are they slightly or completely different? Why is Propellant X described mysteriously then offered in a single reload and nowhere else? Well, I am not buying a $300, or probably not even a $50 reload without answers to these simple questions.

After fixing hardware availability and catalog information, I would look towards new motors and new kits. Thank you for updating to retainers in the kits, but it is going to take more moves like that to hold our interest. New items excite people, and the kit availability is still exactly the same as when I dropped out of rockets for twenty years.

Thanks for listening, and the best of luck with this business into the future.

10-4. Thanks for your feedback, some good points. The retainer was nothing. What we have in the works is what is special.:eek:

I don't like the idea of the EZ reload either. Like I said in a previous post, I didn't mind assembling the delay assembly. Only took me maybe 20-30 seconds to put it together followed by another 20-30 seconds for the rest of the load, assuming I didn't have parts fit issues of course.

And like others have said why don't they offer the reloads in both formats, EZ and the original RMS+???

I too used to really like AT HPR reloads but at this point if I was to start flying HPR again, I would probably go with Loki for my 38mm motor needs. Especially since most of the 38mm reloads can ship without the very pricey HAZMAT charge.

This was a common response so we are doing just that. I will post the official news release here once it is complete.

We will include the long delay assembly with the EZs (inside the packaging). There will be no need to stock them unless you just want to carry the CRDKs which will replace the many RDKs we have.

Some Updates:

JetHitch - Okay now I have your attention.

L1000 DMS - The L1000s have began shipping as of June 15th. Almost all of the warranties have been completed. If you haven't heard anything, inbox me for an update.

RMS-EZ - A couple of items to address:
- CRDKs will be shipped to all dealers to fulfill their current stock of RMS-EZs. Customers who purchase an EZ reload will be provided a long delay assembly at no cost. The customer can then drill it to their desired length and build the traditional 38mm delay assembly. The delay assembly will be included with the EZs moving forward.

- An addendum to the RMS-EZ instructions is being produced to help better explain the delay drilling process. We think there may be some confusion and some customers may be drilling their EZ delays like the CTI delays which could explain the failures. The directions are not very clear so we are going to make them a bit clearer.

LAUNCHES - It looks like we will be out at a few launches coming up in the next month or so. Gary and Karl are currently at LDRS in New York so maybe some of you will see them out there. Gary is speaking at Hellfire this year and I will be at NARAM. Karl has another launch in there somewhere but I am currently drawing a blank. I am sure I will get to meet many of you there in Tucson.

Thank you for the suggestions and feedback. It has been very valuable so far and I hope you can begin to see some changes already being made. Keep the ideas coming, I can confirm we are redesigning the G71 to see if we can get it back in the lineup:D Some cool stuff coming down the pipeline so I will begin to x-post news articles from our site.

I can confirm we are redesigning the G71 to see if we can get it back in the lineup:D Some cool stuff coming down the pipeline so I will begin to x-post news articles from our site.

Very nice.

I loved this motor when it was available and will buy more if it is re-released.

Just wondering, would it be a C-slot like the original or a BATES type grain???

JetHitch - Okay now I have your attention.

Funny! At least you've got a great sense of humor about the whole thing.

BTW, I appreciate your representation here a great deal. I think it speaks volumes when an OEM is willing to interact with their customers (however difficult they may be!). Keep it going!

Very nice.

I loved this motor when it was available and will buy more if it is re-released.

Just wondering, would it be a C-slot like the original or a BATES type grain???

Not 100% sure but I believe the c-slot will be done away with as it was a contributing factor to some of the issues.

I see some additions to the 18/20 & 24/40 lineup too (looks like glider motors).
Rex

Thanks Charlie for the updates. I for one appreciate the inclusion of the CDRK's as part of the RMS-EZ reloads, after having been present for one of the EZ failures and talking with a couple of others who had them. I try to be as loyal to AeroTech and my local vendor as possible. I was unwilling to fly a EZ for my L2 due to the seeming rash of failures from experienced rocketeers that I know and trust to be careful with their assembly technique, the flight immediately ahead of my L2 cert flight was a RMS-EZ that cato'd about a 100' up and severely damaged a original 3" BSD Thor. The other reason I didn't fly an RMS-EZ is the difficulty our vendor has had getting AT reloads, and being unwilling to pay the HAZ-MAT charge for a single motor, of which he had zero L1 and L2 motors available.

I would like to see more long burn motors. I really miss the old Ellis mtn motors.

Oh...My...God... We have AeroTech's ear again :D First one of you screws it up this time I will personally thump....True....

I would like to see more long burn motors. I really miss the old Ellis mtn motors.
+10!!! Funny how the alt records changed when he passed. As an ex-pyro, it's pretty easy to see successful formulae are really
never forgotten. Sure, rules and regs may change and there are some 'safer' or 'cheaper' mixes out there and you can pour your own,
but I personally don't want the time and expense of doing that. I'd rather have 10 seconds of thrust than a bigger shotgun shell in my rocket.

Last edited:
I see some additions to the 18/20 & 24/40 lineup too (looks like glider motors).
Rex

Nah, all those motors have been available for a while now. Only new stuff I am noticing in the model line appears to be the 24/60 Redline and Black Max

P.S. When will those motors be going in for cert? I have found nothing ATM saying they are certified, but the date on the PDF is a 7/14 revision.

Edit: Another question: Any chance of getting a few Mojave Green and/or Warp 9 loads in the 24MM lines?

Last edited:
Nah, all those motors have been available for a while now. Only new stuff I am noticing in the model line appears to be the 24/60 Redline and Black Max

P.S. When will those motors be going in for cert? I have found nothing ATM saying they are certified, but the date on the PDF is a 7/14 revision.

Edit: Another question: Any chance of getting a few Mojave Green and/or Warp 9 loads in the 24MM lines?

Warp 9 in 24 or 29 would be sweet. I'm guessing the pyro delay is the ultimate driver. Perhaps Super Thunder in those sizes?

YES YES YES YES YES. :p

A single use long burn in 29 would be cool especially in H.

Side question; I've wondered for a while now, why did the G-25W reissue as a reload instead of the original single use config? I'd fly the SU version any day :).

Warp 9 in 24 or 29 would be sweet. I'm guessing the pyro delay is the ultimate driver. Perhaps Super Thunder in those sizes?

I dunno, I mean you can get a 24mm and 29mm VMAX for CTI, so one would think it is possible with Aerotech as well.

Back