AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I see AT is trying to improve its 24mm motor reloads. If they can do better and make a longer 24mm casing than CTI, they will win a bunch of SEDS interest on a national level as a 24mm H class motor doesn't exist. SEDS will gladly take the longer burn times with additional case length then reduce the fin span for stability and maximum drag reduction. Most SEDS teams are dropping $500-600 on L-1 motor hardware and reload options a year, so $48,400 is out there for grabs. Lol.

Isn't mentioning a competitors motor in Aerotech's thread kind of bad form? My opinion of course.
Of course, mea culpa.

I like AT 24/40, 24/60 but do wish they'd develop longer 24's that -don't- require the HazMat. An HPR AT in 24mm is a pretty big wish, however.

Isp is the Specific Impulse, which is more of a material property of the propellant and not really specific to a particular load. I think you’re wondering about the “impulse” which is also referred to as “total impulse”. The calculation of specific impulse is done by dividing the total Impulse (in Newton seconds) by the weight of the propellant in Newtons (Lbs-seconds divided by lbs. also works of course). The results will have the unit “seconds”.
The Specific Impulse of all White Lightning propellant should be very similar. I just calculated it for the G64W and it was about 205 seconds.
The certification document does not report Specific Impulse.

Steve Shannon

Ha ha! Well ya got me! I guess this is what I get for posting in a hurry while using voice to text! Yup... I bungled it... Let me rephrase: ...I wonder what the *It* is...

I love the hazmat free 38mm reloads and look forward to seeing a whole product line of them.

medium.jpg

Last edited:
I'd still like to see a whole bunch more reloads for the 75/6400... I haven't flown the M650 or M1550 or the L1250DM... M650 too weak for my WAC Corporal, M1550 - reds dont do much for me, the L1250DM might be too wimpy for the WAC. Maybe I need to trade up for the 7680 and just use my RAS's...

The H130W 38/240 and I180W 38/360 are shipped without hazmat. Those are the only two I'm aware of.

We have a US Mailable J520W which was certified but only as a plugged motor. We are working with TRA to figure out the delay issue so we can submit them for recertification shortly.

I preordered a J520W .. will be a fun non-haz motor .

Just looked up the latest price sheet and saw this nugget :

15504P O5040X-PS 98mm DMS™ (Plugged) Requires NAR or TRA Level 3 Certification

Wowzee, Wowzee Whoo Whoo !

Kenny

The H130W 38/240 and I180W 38/360 are shipped without hazmat. Those are the only two I'm aware of.

As others stated, J520W is the new addition to the non-Hazmat list. Alas, it's also on the "I can't order it anywhere" list.
I just placed an order for 2 out of 3.

The best part is that non-
HZMT H130W (210 Ns) is roughly the same impulse but cheaper than the equivalent H-motor from the other non-HZMT motor supplier.

I180W (326 Ns) is cheaper, but way less thrusty than I201-LR.
J520W (731 Ns) is, unfortunately, both more expensive and less thrusty than J528-LW.

Charles, can you do something about the list pricing ?

a

As others stated, J520W is the new addition to the non-Hazmat list. Alas, it's also on the "I can't order it anywhere" list.
I just placed an order for 2 out of 3.

The best part is that non-
HZMT H130W (210 Ns) is roughly the same impulse but cheaper than the equivalent H-motor from the other non-HZMT motor supplier.

I180W (326 Ns) is cheaper, but way less thrusty than I201-LR.
J520W (731 Ns) is, unfortunately, both more expensive and less thrusty than J528-LW.

Charles, can you do something about the list pricing ?

a
The J528LW is not us mailable though, so the comparison isn't the same.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Rocketry Forum mobile app

I have a question: Why has the supply of RMS-29 40/120 complete hardware almost completely dried up? None of the vendors I would like to buy from have this item in stock. This issue was almost as bad back in June when I started my upscale Kraken build. I was hoping to begin acquiring parts for the replacement build of the Kraken which was lost yesterday.

I have a question: Why has the supply of RMS-29 40/120 complete hardware almost completely dried up? None of the vendors I would like to buy from have this item in stock. This issue was almost as bad back in June when I started my upscale Kraken build. I was hoping to begin acquiring parts for the replacement build of the Kraken which was lost yesterday.
+1 On this.

I purchased a hardware set and was notified a day later that it was on an indefinite backorder. I was asked if I wanted to wait or get a refund....

It wasn't an order from AT but I won't name the vendor.

Nate

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Rocketry Forum mobile app

I have a question: Why has the supply of RMS-29 40/120 complete hardware almost completely dried up?

I suspect that the exclusive hardware manufacturer status has something to do with this. It wasn't such an issue when you could also buy AT compatible hardware from a 3rd party (2nd party?) manufacturer.

Because since last Spring......NO one has been making any AT hardware to sell!
There is none in the pipe & vendors stock has dwindled to zip.

Because since last Spring......NO one has been making any AT hardware to sell!
There is none in the pipe & vendors stock has dwindled to zip.

It was explained earlier in this thread, Aerotech is currently beyond capacity at making hardware. With CTI down a lot the past year or so and Loki having the same issues but being way smaller a lot of business has come Aerotech's way. They haven't stopped making hardware, you should still be able to back order hardware, though it takes time (I think it took 3 months for my 98/7680 complete motor).

It was explained earlier in this thread, Aerotech is currently beyond capacity at making hardware. With CTI down a lot the past year or so and Loki having the same issues but being way smaller a lot of business has come Aerotech's way. They haven't stopped making hardware, you should still be able to back order hardware, though it takes time (I think it took 3 months for my 98/7680 complete motor).

Ah, I see. I did a search on the forum for this issue but I had queried with reference to the 29/40-120. Anyhoot, that explains a lot. Guess that means Aerotech is in a bit of a pickle as long delays across their products lines can and will generate quite a lot of negative PR. As to back-ordering, most of the vendors I deal with do not offer it. At least not via their respective web presences......

Sigh.

A little recap from last month:

54mm tubes have been scarce for the last 3 months or so but we just had them ran. They will be back in stock next week. The 54RAS is waiting on a couple of the components still, looking at 2-3 weeks out on those.

We are selling exponentially more hardware now than we ever have before. We have 3 machinists and 1 of them is out of service for now. We also purchase our hardware differently now in order to keep costs low so we run all of the same diameter tubes at the same time. We are also ordering much larger quantities and both of these factors add time.

If you are having an issue getting 75mm loads then there is something else going on there. We have no problems with propellant, it is currently 29mm and 54mm hardware we are out of. Any other issues are dealer-driven.

It looks like AT will catch up, but there is some lead time.

Reinhard

It looks like AT will catch up, but there is some lead time.

I'm sure they will.
I'm not in a hurry, though I do have a 29/40-120 motor on backorder.

Also realize that you are competing with 700+ TARC teams on semi-unlimited (parents/school) budget, all rushing to buy up dozens of 24-/29- motor cases and reloads. Temporary supply disruptions are inevitable, especially given that CTI motor stock has not been getting replenished for a few years now, so everyone is flocking to AT for mid-power motors ...

a

Back