AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a J450-DM on order , normally would get the K456-DM at that price point but trying this in a much smaller rocket ..it is the right fit this time around .

Also in the hopper have a J180T ..this motor did not stand out to me on the price list as I glanced down .. you know, there is the White Lightning one, there is the red one , there is the long burn .. and WatersH20 told me that it has a 4.5 second burn time .. so bought it and will fly it when weather is good .

Kenny

Have a J450-DM on order , normally would get the K456-DM at that price point but trying this in a much smaller rocket ..it is the right fit this time around .

Also in the hopper have a J180T ..this motor did not stand out to me on the price list as I glanced down .. you know, there is the White Lightning one, there is the red one , there is the long burn .. and WatersH20 told me that it has a 4.5 second burn time .. so bought it and will fly it when weather is good.

Heh. Apparently I'm just a bit ahead of you time-wise. I flew a J180T on 4/1, and picked up a J450DM last weekend. :) The J180T was nice, only problem was that my undrilled -L delay went off ~7s after burn-out instead of the 14s target. Apogee was supposed to be ~11s after burn-out, so I was shooting for a motor backup for an electronic eject, instead it cut the flight short by around 600'. FG & kevlar though, so no damage, just not quite the flight I was hoping for.

Heh. Apparently I'm just a bit ahead of you time-wise. I flew a J180T on 4/1, and picked up a J450DM last weekend. :) The J180T was nice, only problem was that my undrilled -L delay went off ~7s after burn-out instead of the 14s target. Apogee was supposed to be ~11s after burn-out, so I was shooting for a motor backup for an electronic eject, instead it cut the flight short by around 600'. FG & kevlar though, so no damage, just not quite the flight I was hoping for.

GMTA .. had already done a number of my Bucket List motors , but not ready to buy some new hw for the long burns .

Sorry the delay cut your coast altitude . Glad you had a strong bird in the air ! When I first flew Dual Deploy I always had no motor backup as a friend told me 'you either trust your electronics or you don't ' ...then the same guy told me a few months later 'motor deploy can't hurt' - so I did have a delay cut me short abit , but also at least one flight was saved by it as I didn't have redundant electronics .

Kenny

No I didn't spell check. I apologize profusely. The J180 DOES NOT require any special hardware. It does not need the extended forward closure, just a standard 54/852. I have burned probably 6 of them I'm my years. Once again I apologize for the confusion, I should never have let that one get by me.

I have gone to the stainless disc no matter what 98mm load. True it was intended for the Super Thunder Propellants but seems like cheap insurance especially when seeing the above pictures. During LDRS I used them on an N2000W, M1075DM, M4500ST, M2000R, M2400T. No signs of fatigue on any.

I flew my first 98mm motor this weekend-- AT's N1000 in the 98/15360 hardware. The motor casing and all components were brand new, so I was really surprised when I was cleaning up afterward to see that the forward seal disc had a chunk missing from the inside edge. Thankfully there was no failure and I had a perfect flight and recovery, but obviously this seal disc cannot be used again. I have never had a forward seal disc get damaged in flight before on any smaller motors including 75mm. Question for Charlie or those with experience-- have you seen this before? Is this normal wear and tear with these giant motors or did I get a bad copy?

Reposting because I should have include the original message.

I have gone to the stainless disc no matter what 98mm load. True it was intended for the Super Thunder Propellants but seems like cheap insurance especially when seeing the above pictures. During LDRS I used them on an N2000W, M1075DM, M4500ST, M2000R, M2400T. No signs of fatigue on any.

It might be a good option to have on smaller cases also. I have seen a number of seal disks eaten by the 54mm K1103X reload.

QQ on availability for resellers. I've got Economax F44-4's on order now through two resellers and none of them seem to be able to get supply. Some have been backordered since November of last year.

Tower has some right now for 20.99/2-pack. I just burned the last of mine, they are fun motors! Difficult to find lately, though. Looks like Wildman has them in stock right now as well.

Charlie,

I was poking around on buyrocketmotors site and noticed that the 29mm motors in the new packaging come with 14 second delays. Seriously thank you for this! I love to see that 29mm still gets a little love. Now your just have to come out with some ST loads for the 180-360 cases. Oh man the fun that would be had. Keep up the great work AT!

Thanks guys. I'll push it back on the 3rd parties to get their act together. I've already paid for them... so waiting.....

I sure enjoyed flying with you last weekend Charlie.

That K2050 Super Thunder was a wickedly fun motor .

Looking forward to purchasing what you allowed us to peek at .

Kenny

Always good to see you Kenny! Will catch up at June ROCstock, probably with some goodies.

Q for the AT GM...

Last September, Gary brought out and demo'd a new SU, 3 grain 98 in White Lightning. Pretty much a SU version of the M1419. I understand we're going to be flying some of those this year at ARLISS.

I need to know if that motor has a threaded boss on the forward end, and if so, what size threads? I'm building a new ARLISS-M, and I need a place to attach my recovery harness.

Any enlightenment you might provide will be greatly appreciated.

Yes, we went ahead and made a single-use version of the M1419W specifically for ARLISS. The DMS M1340W does contain a bulkhead with a threaded boss, 3/8 x 16. Hope this helps, if you need any other assistance ask Uncle Karl at [email protected]

Are you planning to demo any new motors at the upcoming NSL? I would love to see the new hazmat free J reload fly!

We will have the US Mailable J520W to demo as well as a DMS J435WS (or 2). If we can get them certified before NSL we will have 24/60 loads and F67WS to demo also. We will be looking for flyers. :wink:

I flew my first 98mm motor this weekend-- AT's N1000 in the 98/15360 hardware. The motor casing and all components were brand new, so I was really surprised when I was cleaning up afterward to see that the forward seal disc had a chunk missing from the inside edge. Thankfully there was no failure and I had a perfect flight and recovery, but obviously this seal disc cannot be used again. I have never had a forward seal disc get damaged in flight before on any smaller motors including 75mm. Question for Charlie or those with experience-- have you seen this before? Is this normal wear and tear with these giant motors or did I get a bad copy?

Yeah, it doesn't happen often but once and a while the longburns will eat the edges off. We are including the new 98mm Stainless Steel Seal Disc with all 98/15360 cases/motors moving forward. We are also making a 75mm Stainless Disc for the 75mm Super Thunder loads under development.

Inbox me a shipping address for you and we will take care of it.

Well, I don't want this to sound like I'm mercilessly flogging the deceased equine, but what's the word on the 24-60 reloads, and the Redline for the 29/40-120? Anything?

Phil L.

The 24/60 loads are at certification now, we are hoping to have them available for NSL this year. The 40-120 load(s)? are next.

Any details on the hazmat free AT J motor?

The J520W is certified and available for purchase. The DMS J435WS was also certified and is available for purchase. We have several dealers with them on order and they will receive them throughout the upcoming weeks. I'll do the press release today/Monday and post it here when it's finished.

Same thing happened to a new fwd seal disc used in my K1103X at LDRS this year. I had never seen an aluminum seal disc "chewed up * like that until then.

I believe we will eventually offer a stainless steel 54mm just for that load which seems to terrorize seal discs.

QQ on availability for resellers. I've got Economax F44-4's on order now through two resellers and none of them seem to be able to get supply. Some have been backordered since November of last year.

Should be available now, I think that was one of the TARC motors of choice this year.

Back