AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having purchased some ghetto test gear for EX, I can see how expensive in both time and money a full cert operation would be. That said, do NAR and TRA work in concert or do they both have their own program? Just wondering if TRA could cert those....

Aerotech is likely at least as frustrated as we are, and I imagine NAR would like to get it done as well.

Having purchased some ghetto test gear for EX, I can see how expensive in both time and money a full cert operation would be. That said, do NAR and TRA work in concert or do they both have their own program? Just wondering if TRA could cert those....

Aerotech is likely at least as frustrated as we are, and I imagine NAR would like to get it done as well.

We have separate programs, but we coordinate with NAR and CAR to ensure that all three programs are equally valid and adhere to NFPA 1125.
Recently Tripoli decided to add the capability to test smaller motors. We’ve never done smaller than F motors before so it’s new ground for us.
That requires some new hardware, specifically load cells, which have been ordered. Once they’ve arrived there’s calibration and testing to make sure our results will be within specs. We also have to make adaptations to our test stand.

It would be nice if the new blue thunder, fast black jack, and redline loads were certified for existing AT RMS 24/60. There is youtube test footage over a year old. Thanks, Shannon.

Charlie/AT,

I've started flying more 75mm AT reloads. Forgive me if this question has been discussed already, but has Aerotech opted to use the seal disk and single-throat nozzle for all 75mm reloads?

The L850 did not indicate that a seal disk was needed in the instructions, but IIRC, there was no fwd insulating disk included in the reload.

Also, the L850 and L1170 instruction sets indicate a medusa nozzle, but I believe the reloads included a single-throat version.

Thanks!
Erik

Hi Erik,

There have been so many updates to our 75mm line that there are still many questions like yours that we are happy to answer. To answer your question, yes, all 75mm reloads now take the 75mm FSD instead of the fibre washer.

As for the Medusa nozzle, we will continue to use that and just drill out the center in order to fly them in either hardware. We do have a smaller single-throat nozzle that will be made this winter and replace the 75mm medusa all together. This will also allow every 75mm reload to become a crossload.

Lastly, we changed the directions so that they are a bit more straight forward and some of the old instructions were shipped out as the changes were occurring. The dust should mostly be settled now, please let us know if there are any other questions.

We've seen this topic in this very thread before. Can we get a definitive answer? I've been waiting a year for more 24/60 reloads.

If the problem is NAR, I will vote with my pocketbook and not renew my NAR membership.

We have been working with them and did get some motors actually tested and certified last week! The F67W-4, 6, 9 (2-pak economax) and the F51NT-10 (2-pak for the 24/60 hardware) was also certified. We are awaiting the results of the final 2 24/60 loads and then NAR S&T will be ready for more submissions.

I don't know how to answer that without throwing your dealer under the bus Dave. Some hardware is an issue but none of the propellant is.

Ordered a bunch of reloads, getting an M1850, backordered were M1315, M1780 and M1297 among countless other smaller stuff including some hardware that other folks are not getting either.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Thank you for your post. That's information I did not have.

I agree Steve, but let's remember it has been 2 years since that happened. This is the 2nd time in 2 years that it has taken more than 6 months to get motors tested. We do have a dialogue now so it should be improved moving forward.

We have some movement on the certification front:

24/60:
F51-10NT

Economax:
F67W-4
F67W-6
F67W-9

I'll post the official announcement shortly. Thank you for your patience, these are really fun motors.

Last edited:
We have been working with them and did get some motors actually tested and certified last week! The F67W-4, 6, 9 (2-pak economax) and the F51NT-10 (2-pak for the 24/60 hardware) was also certified. We are awaiting the results of the final 2 24/60 loads and then NAR S&T will be ready for more submissions.

Awesome! Any idea on when the F67's will hit the stands?

Economax:
F67W-4
F67W-6
F67W-9

I'll post the official announcement shortly. Thank you for your patience, these are really fun motors.

Are these 24mm or 29mm? Sound like fun motors!

Thank you for the feedback Nate. I believe many of the questions regarding JetHitch and the website have been addressed elsewhere in this thread but please PM me if I can answer anything that I may have missed.

I almost left immediately after seeing that the "products" tab brings me to a five year old catalog
This will be remedied by the end of next week. This particular issue is extremely frustrating and there should always be a current and up to date catalog moving forward. The improved website will be focused on providing the most popular information first.

Something else I'd like to bring up is Aerotech's lack of a coherent direction. You guys are putting out a new DMS line here, a switch to EZ there, a few new DMS motors over here, etc.
Our customers all have their preferred lines or motors. It is extremely challenging to meet everyone's individual demands but we still try to. In our view, many of the flyers wanted something easier (EZ) so we are converting the 38mm RMS line to EZs. It isn't just for that purpose though. We are working on something that will better explain it but I am sworn to secrecy at this particular time.

I like doing it, and I like knowing that if something goes wrong because an O-ring was missing, I left it out, and I had the power not to leave it out- it's something I have control over
That is way responsible for a 16-year old, good for you. Reloads are our bread and butter so they aren't going anywhere. As for the DMS line, we just submitted the last 2 motors for testing so that line is set for a bit. Great feedback, thank you.

Charlie can you tell us the 2 DMS on there way to TMT? I really like the AT DMS line of motors.

F67 is 29mm

I am interested in all of the 24/60 reloads.

And i suspect that many, many TARC teams will also be interested.

If you have not flown the 24/60 F35 or been present when one is flown, you are seriously missing out. They are awesome.

Are these 24mm or 29mm? Sound like fun motors!

24/60:
F51NT-10

Economax:
F67W-4
F67W-6
F67W-9

Oooh, nice.

24/60:
F51NT-10

Economax:
F67W-4
F67W-6
F67W-9

Woo, a 24/60 load! Any update on the 40-120 Red & DM? ^_^

Last edited:

24/60:
F51NT-10

Economax:
F67W-4
F67W-6
F67W-9

Awesome!!!

I'll definitely have to try that new F51NT as well as the new F67W.

24/60:
F51NT-10

Economax:
F67W-4
F67W-6
F67W-9

I see the F67 for sale on buyrocketmotors.com... but nowhere else I've looked so far have I found any info. What are the Isp's of these guys? It's not shown in the brm.com entry

I see the F67 for sale on buyrocketmotors.com... but nowhere else I've looked so far have I found any info. What are the Isp's of these guys? It's not shown in the brm.com entry

Isp is the Specific Impulse, which is more of a material property of the propellant and not really specific to a particular load. I think you’re wondering about the “impulse” which is also referred to as “total impulse”. The calculation of specific impulse is done by dividing the total Impulse (in Newton seconds) by the weight of the propellant in Newtons (Lbs-seconds divided by lbs. also works of course). The results will have the unit “seconds”.
The Specific Impulse of all White Lightning propellant should be very similar. I just calculated it for the G64W and it was about 205 seconds.
The certification document does not report Specific Impulse.

Steve Shannon

F67 is 29mm

I am interested in all of the 24/60 reloads.

And i suspect that many, many TARC teams will also be interested.

If you have not flown the 24/60 F35 or been present when one is flown, you are seriously missing out. They are awesome.

There were some other high school groups seriously pushing MPR designs. It seems these TARC groups are dying for a potent MPR motors and way more reload options to handle the heavier payloads and larger MPR designs. I observed several larger MPRs with actual payloads trying to hit an altitude goal and the old Estes E motor isn't cutting the standard either. Observed a group at VAST and I was extremely impressed with their egg launches and recovery in marginal weather.

SEDS a national HPR entry rocketry competition among colleges would also be extremely interested in smaller 24mm diameter motors for HPR work if it would be possible to get a real serious H load or even some very stout MPR G loads starting at 24/120 and working to longer casings (6 grain) if someday possible. SEDS competition is vague enough where teams can select any motor combinations up to a full I class at 640Ns. There is a smaller market in MPR motor reloads for the three stage or even four stage designs. They encourage additional staging, but most teams find beyond two or three truly cumbersome. It heavily awards altitude bonus beyond a target altitude per 200ft extra you start racking points per 200ft. SEDs teams were pushing designs of 20,000ft-25,000ft on L-1 impulse levels. SEDS needs a 24mm HPR motor... 88 teams competed this year and the only way for more alt is diameter reductions with more burn times and more thrust. Right now it's kinda stuck at 29mm and 38mm MD designs... To go further we need 24mm H class staged to I class 29mm diameter options or 24-24-24-24 mm G-G-G-H class stages. The electronics are vastly decreasing in size and increasing in capabilities yet no motors exist.

The airframe drag force and build costs drastically decline with diameter reductions too. So yeah I'll push that 24mm market... TARC ain't the only group dying for 24mm loads. The typical SEDS budget for college teams is about $2-3K for the low-ballers.

There were some other high school groups seriously pushing MPR designs. It seems these TARC groups are dying for a potent MPR motors and way more reload options to handle the heavier payloads and larger MPR designs. I observed several larger MPRs with actual payloads trying to hit an altitude goal and the old Estes E motor isn't cutting the standard either. Observed a group at VAST and I was extremely impressed with their egg launches and recovery in marginal weather.

SEDS a national HPR entry rocketry competition among colleges would also be extremely interested in smaller 24mm diameter motors for HPR work if it would be possible to get a real serious H load or even some very stout MPR G loads starting at 24/120 and working to longer casings (6 grain) if someday possible. SEDS competition is vague enough where teams can select any motor combinations up to a full I class at 640Ns. There is a smaller market in MPR motor reloads for the three stage or even four stage designs. They encourage additional staging, but most teams find beyond two or three truly cumbersome. It heavily awards altitude bonus beyond a target altitude per 200ft extra you start racking points per 200ft. SEDs teams were pushing designs of 20,000ft-25,000ft on L-1 impulse levels. SEDS needs a 24mm HPR motor... 88 teams competed this year and the only way for more alt is diameter reductions with more burn times and more thrust. Right now it's kinda stuck at 29mm and 38mm MD designs... To go further we need 24mm H class staged to I class 29mm diameter options or 24-24-24-24 mm G-G-G-H class stages. The electronics are vastly decreasing in size and increasing in capabilities yet no motors exist.

The airframe drag force and build costs drastically decline with diameter reductions too. So yeah I'll push that 24mm market... TARC ain't the only group dying for 24mm loads. The typical SEDS budget for college teams is about $2-3K for the low-ballers.
CTI P24-6G G150?

CTIP24-6GG150?

CTI P24-6G-145 Started turning heads. There needs to be a 24mm H class motors to really be a game changer for the two stage SEDS builds. They like stacking H's to freakin' I's and letting it rip. Aerotech doesn't have a 38/1200 proportion in 24mm casing diameter nor would CTI. The stouter 24mm loads in three stage flavor were out simming the two stagers but the complexity of three stages isn't always desired and electronics cost start getting a lot more of a burden. There would be a lot of interest in an super long casing H class 24mm for a niche application. Long burn time. Long delay. Mild thrust. Sustainer phase. The hotter and hotter 24mm G loads do start opening the thought process up somewhat on especially more stages. At most you can get away in two stage is 38/480 stacked to a mild 29mm right now or some combo of 29mm 6 and 5 grains because no super long 24mm motors replace it performance wise.

Back