AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Special thank to Karl and Aerotech for standing by their product!

Also watch those liners for any imperfections, damage, cracks etc prior to grain installation and if you see an issue - don't fly it. I'm not a rep for AT, just notifying.

Thanks AT, great product. I'm looking forward to flying another M1939 and higher
That one of the main reasons I like the reload kits going in to tubes now. Helps protect the liner from damage.

That one of the main reasons I like the reload kits going in to tubes now. Helps protect the liner from damage.

Except you don't get the red plastic cap to hold ejection charges in any longer, only the white disk, which I've never used because it doesn't really stick to anything.

I've only had one liner with a chip in it in the bags, I would rather have the bags with the ejection charge cap then the tubes without. That cap was one of the most useful things they ever added to the reload kits.

I've only had one liner with a chip in it in the bags, I would rather have the bags with the ejection charge cap then the tubes without. That cap was one of the most useful things they ever added to the reload kits.

Agree. The caps are nice to use instead of tape.

Agree. The caps are nice to use instead of tape.

The floating forward closure on the 29 and 38 sets really lend itself to tape vs the original closures.. even my lubey fingers can attach it securely.

Kenny

Is there a such thing as a plugged, floating closure compatible with the RAS? Would love to fly a Warp 9 or longburn without having to have the exact casing size.

Is there a such thing as a plugged, floating closure compatible with the RAS? Would love to fly a Warp 9 or longburn without having to have the exact casing size.

I don't see why you couldn't grease over the delay grain on the charge end, and pack wadding in the charge cup area in the floating closure.

I see this thread began about a year and a half ago.
But still the catalog featured on the Products page is from 2009. If it is there purely for nostalgic purposes, I could not tell.
Are Quest BP motors coming back? The Quest page has click links for motors, but then nothing.

I have to admit that the lack of update to the catalog is interesting.

Charlie, AT should just hire somebody to do a catalog update. Professional folks who do this stuff can be had. I might even know somebody who would be capable assuming they want more work, and no, it is not me.

But still the catalog featured on the Products page is from 2009. If it is there purely for nostalgic purposes, I could not tell.
Are Quest BP motors coming back? The Quest page has click links for motors, but then nothing.
I don't see the Quest BP motors coming back any time soon. I do have a small stash of them on my web store

Charlie - many thanks for putting together the consolidated motor sheet; it's extremely helpful to have a full spec list.

If people want the nice red caplugs, skygeek.com has nearly the full line available. They are nice and cheap at 5-10 cents each in lots of 25. For San Diegans they are in stock at Marshall's Hardware.

Just poking the dead horse.... Any luck on this? :)

Yes, we have some new 29 and 38mm closures being produced. Some new options for the 38RAS like the threaded closure will be available in January. The 29mm still needs to be drawn, etc so they are further away.

According to the Aerotech press releases, these are all Metalstorm DM(TM), aka Metalstorm Dark Matter.

Whatever you call it, I think it's the prettiest sparky on the market!

Yes, you are correct, I had it backwards :facepalm: Dark Matter is the official name.

In October I noticed that the KBA L2300G wasn't on the NAR combined list. I asked NAR S&T about this and they said it was a mistake. But the 30 October revision showed a sport use ends date of December. 2016 implying that it lost certification in 2013. I asked about that and now the 28 November version says December 2018. Or decertified in 2015. Still no response to my questions about that.

I have tilted at this windmill long enough and it is now someone else's turn to give it a go.

David, haven't you already asked Karl about this specific motor? He said he already provided you with the information.

Except you don't get the red plastic cap to hold ejection charges in any longer, only the white disk, which I've never used because it doesn't really stick to anything.

Sorry you didn't get the red cap, it is definitely preferred over the paper disc which requires masking tape to really hold it. The red caps are in all of the newly packaged reloads so going forward you will be good to go.

ATGM- any updated ETA on the new 29/40-120 loads? The red and the metalstorm?

Thanks!

Not sure which diameter you are referring to but I will guess 38mm here. We currently have the standard floating closure for the 38RAS and a floating plugged closure that is threaded which will be available in January. For the 54mm RAS we have 3 various floating closures along with the standard floating closure. You can see them here:

3 Piece 54 Floating Closure Stock Photo.jpg

Yes, it is purely for nostalgic purposes.

Charlie, AT should just hire somebody to do a catalog update. Professional folks who do this stuff can be had. I might even know somebody who would be capable assuming they want more work, and no, it is not me.

Mark, unfortunately it is not as simple as that when you are dealing with a very specialized product. The catalog is being worked on but if you really want an up to date listing of products there is still no better source than the pricelist, found here:

https://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/uploads/a6d3a73c-c611-4be5-a792-94737902ae02_Model_and_hp_of_12_05_16.pdf

ATGM- any updated ETA on the new 29/40-120 loads? The red and the metalstorm?

Thanks!

Nothing firm yet, we have some motors at NAR S&T which will be tested beginning of the year. The 24/60 loads will be first and then you will see the 40-120 loads after that. The red is definitely happening but the sparky provides some shipping challenges so we will see where we end up on that one.

Mark, unfortunately it is not as simple as that when you are dealing with a very specialized product. The catalog is being worked on but if you really want an up to date listing of products there is still no better source than the pricelist, found here:

https://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/uploads/a6d3a73c-c611-4be5-a792-94737902ae02_Model_and_hp_of_12_05_16.pdf

The thing about the catalog and what I want to see isn't the product list, its the other data that is in all the tables (Motor, Diameter, Case Length, Total Impulse, Prop. Wt, Motor Wt., Delay Times). That and the thrust curve graphs. It's usually the Total Impulse, Prop. Wt., and Motor Wt. and thrust curves that I go to the catalog for. It is a great but incomplete reference.

I don't really need or want the rest of the catalog, but if you could post to the website, and keep updated, printable .pdf sheets of the information from pages 4 - 12 of the catalog that would be great. Being able to print a copy and keep it in the range box comes in very handy.

The thing about the catalog and what I want to see isn't the product list, its the other data that is in all the tables (Motor, Diameter, Case Length, Total Impulse, Prop. Wt, Motor Wt., Delay Times). That and the thrust curve graphs. It's usually the Total Impulse, Prop. Wt., and Motor Wt. and thrust curves that I go to the catalog for. It is a great but incomplete reference.

I don't really need or want the rest of the catalog, but if you could post to the website, and keep updated, printable .pdf sheets of the information from pages 4 - 12 of the catalog that would be great. Being able to print a copy and keep it in the range box comes in very handy.

Have you never heard of ThrustCurve.com?

My two cents: The catalog is a marketing tool, not a reference tool. It took me a while to figure out all I needed was the motor matrix (which reloads fit which cases), and the price list for the up-to-date list of products. Realistically, catalogs are dated artifacts the day they are published. If the motor matrix allowed you to click on the reload to display the Thrustcurve information, you'd have a useful reference for day-to-day use.

Have you never heard of ThrustCurve.com?

Kind of hard to use when you're in the field with no cell service.

And when you do have service having the tables with all the motors info for all the sizes right there is much quicker and better then having to search for and look at each motor with the search engine, no matter how good that search engine might be.

Last edited:

And when you do have service having the tables with all the motors info right there for all the sizes right there is much better then having to search for and look at each motor with the search engine, no matter how good that search engine might be.

Is this the kind of tabulation you want?
ee3764b7e2a82b69cd9f910c92500157.png

Steve Shannon

And when you do have service having the tables with all the motors info for all the sizes right there is much quicker and better then having to search for and look at each motor with the search engine, no matter how good that search engine might be.

Like how about accessing it from home and printing it out as you would if it were from the AT site. That is not rocket science my friend!

Yes, it is purely for nostalgic purposes.
Ha, OK then. In that case I suggest you clearly label it as such! I can't think of any company's online presence that hosts a single catalog that is like 7 years old and quite incorrect as to the current products. Obviously, rocketeers are a clever bunch and will find (correct) information wherever they can, so it's perhaps seen as just a matter of appearances. But again, I can't think of anyone who features dated material like this intentionally without marking it as such. For each one of us who thinks "cool, that ancient catalog is still available there", I imagine there are several (potential) new customers who simply end up confused and misled.

Last edited:

We just recently updated the Master Motor Matrix which contains the specific information you are looking for. I put the matrix ahead of the catalog as far as priorities though a new catalog is in the works. This should be easy to print and something you can keep in your range box for reference.

https://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/uploads/52c84807-b6e7-405d-95b7-4e102a5ca724_AeroTech%20Master%20Motor%20Matrix%20Sheet1.pdf

My two cents: The catalog is a marketing tool, not a reference tool. It took me a while to figure out all I needed was the motor matrix (which reloads fit which cases), and the price list for the up-to-date list of products. Realistically, catalogs are dated artifacts the day they are published. If the motor matrix allowed you to click on the reload to display the Thrustcurve information, you'd have a useful reference for day-to-day use.

The new catalog will operate much like you have described here. Information changes quickly and new products are coming out throughout the year so the more flexibility the better off.

Ha, OK then. In that case I suggest you clearly label it as such! I can't think of any company's online presence that hosts a single catalog that is like 7 years old and quite incorrect as to the current products. Obviously, rocketeers are a clever bunch and will find (correct) information wherever they can, so it's perhaps seen as just a matter of appearances. But again, I can't think of anyone who features dated material like this intentionally without marking it as such. For each one of us who thinks "cool, that ancient catalog is still available there", I imagine there are several (potential) new customers who simply end up confused and misled.

I think you are placing too much value on a new catalog. The motor matrix contains all of the information you need and can be updated daily if necessary. This isn't to say that a new catalog isn't happening but there are other areas to address. If after a year and a half all we have to be concerned about is a catalog then I would say that is quite successful compared to where we were at.

Back