AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just opened up a K535 DMS and found that there is no thrust ring at all despite instructions asking me to reinforce it. I even looked around on the ground to be sure I didn't drop it or something, but the case has no thrust ring on it and the package doesn't contain one. Am I supposed to rig up my own or did I just get one that's missing a part?

Yea I'll post one tonight, but it's just smooth from what I recall with no indication that anything was ever glued in place on the case.

Sorry if I am missing something obvious, but I would love to see what these new crossload medusa nozzles look like. If I understand correctly, only the crossload labeled reloads are getting the new nozzles, while the original SKU and nozzle will be sold for Aerotech hardware?

Is there a list of crossloads yet?

If there is no thrust ring all is not lost. Masking tape makes a very good thrust ring. I have seen them handle L750's with no problem. I know AT had some thrust ring problems this past fall so they may have gone to the tape thrust ring intill they got the issue figured out. (a L100 had a trust ring come loose at MWP).

Hah, sorry I missed that. Thanks!

Wow that 4G set sure is the sweet spot; tons of options for both brands.

Maybe I'm new to anything higher then n k power but I am wondering why everyone is happy about the cross load the 75 mm motors. Why not just use aerotech casings with aerotech motors. I'm just curious.

Maybe I'm new to anything higher then n k power but I am wondering why everyone is happy about the cross load the 75 mm motors. Why not just use aerotech casings with aerotech motors. I'm just curious.

There are also CTI motors that cross load iirc, and 75mm hardware isn't exactly cheap so if there are cross loads you have more motor options for a given case.

6Zozu7el.jpg

Okay here's my K535 ultra low drag version with no thrust ring. I know the masking tape works but I was planning to use this in a rocket with a tailcone snap ring retainer which means buying tape that's thin enough to fit between the retainer and the snap ring which is pretty dang annoying. Would love it if they could just send me a thrust ring that I could epoxy on - hopefully in a manner stronger than what comes stock, haha.

^If you have a scrap of 54mm airframe cut a .25" ring and epoxy to bottom of motorcase, the factory thrust rings are not too different.

Cost of hardware is prohibitive. Have a motor and fly both AT and CTI. It is an excellent move on AT's part. Thinking an M1500G is in my future.

Cost of hardware is prohibitive. Have a motor and fly both AT and CTI. It is an excellent move on AT's part. Thinking an M1500G is in my future.
True, but I've been able to put CTI loads in Aerotech cases. All of my large hardware is Aerotech (except the 98-6GXL).

^If you have a scrap of 54mm airframe cut a .25" ring and epoxy to bottom of motorcase, the factory thrust rings are not too different.

Heck, it doesn't even have to be 54mm...just something close. If it's a larger diameter cut the .25" ring in the longitudinal direction and overlap it with copious amounts of epoxy and roughing up the motor where the glue hits it. Or if you have something smaller do the same thing but then you'll have a gap that can be filled in with another scrap piece. Easy peasy.

Yea it's an easy fix, but I emailed the vendor anyways just to make sure someone is on the blame line for me rigging up my own crap so maybe I can get a replacement single use motor when my entire rocket is destroyed. ;)

I just acquired a 24/60 case and was impressed with the design improvements over the 24/40 case. I am looking forward to the upcoming new reloads for it. It occurs to me that it would be fairly easy to use this design for a series of 24mm reloads that can be shipped hazmat free, just by increasing the length of the case (like the HP lines). A 3 grain 24/90 case would be great, as would a 4 grain case if the design would allow for it.

A 24/90 would be pretty cool. I would like to get one of the 60 cases but I don't really have anything to fly it in now.

I have always been curious of the 18/20 case and reloads, but seems not many dealers carry them anymore.

As far as I am aware, there are only two different motors for this case, I know most go 'big', but is there anything in the works for any more 18/20 reloads?

I'm glad you brought this up as it presents an opportunity to discuss the fate of valurockets.com :(

18mm reloads and hardware have only been available through valurockets.com for some time now. We have decided to include the 18/20 line on the dealer order forms so they will be available from your dealers in the near future. Along those same lines, all 18mm reloads and single use will only be available in packs of 3. Same goes for the E15 and E30 as well. Moving forward these will only be available as 3 packs.

After we get the 18/20 line settled in we may make look into some new loads for it.

Surprised no one has brought up the recent certification of the 75mm RAS. I already preordered mine. Now I can fly 3, 4 and 5 grain motors in my 5 grain case! If I have another aft closure, I can fly 3, 4 or 5 grains in the 5 grain, while flying a 3 grain in my 3 grain... Or a 5 grain and a 1, 2 or 3 grain in the 3 grain.

Now I have some flexibility as far as motor selection as well as being able to prep ahead of time. SWEET!

My take on it is Valuerockets will no longer exist. Glad that the other vendors will have available the items now that were only sold on Valuerockets.

My take on it is Valuerockets will no longer exist. Glad that the other vendors will have available the items now that were only sold on Valuerockets.

Evidently, and that follows with Charlie's statements on the rocketshow podcast (https://www.therocketryshow.com/) about consolidating and updating Aerotech's web presence. I just thought I missed the memo or something ! :)

Last edited:
Just got a replacement RMS 29/40-120 case from Aerotech. I had a rear closure burn through, which looks like some kind of 0-ring failure, and Aerotech just said it could have been a bad o-ring, so shipped a new case. Did not take any time to speak of, just sent the email with pictures last weekend. Thanks Aerotech, good fast support!

Mike Dickinson

IMG_20160206_182855697.jpg

Just got a replacement RMS 29/40-120 case from Aerotech. I had a rear closure burn through, which looks like some kind of 0-ring failure, and Aerotech just said it could have been a bad o-ring, so shipped a new case. Did not take any time to speak of, just sent the email with pictures last weekend. Thanks Aerotech, good fast support!

Mike Dickinson

Not to imply anything, but what -could- have been possibly 'user error' in assembly (I've accidentally tweaked an oring or two, and chose not to use it.) and they still backed it up?

That's impressive!

Not to imply anything, but what -could- have been possibly 'user error' in assembly (I've accidentally tweaked an oring or two, and chose not to use it.) and they still backed it up?

That's impressive!

Agreed, while I do not think I assembled anything wrong, and it did not feel like I had any issue screwing in the enclosures, an o-ring could have been pinched. I do not think so, as I have flown quite a few G64's, since 1999, and this is my first ever failure, of any Aerotech RMS. But I commend Aerotech for just accepting it, and going forward.

To update on the K535 with no thrust ring, I contacted the vendor (Wildman) who called RCS who are mailing me the correct piece. While I'm sure the recommended methods would've worked, if the manufacturer is going to send me something specific then I think I'd do best to use that. Glad they're making it right!

Back