AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a G25W and I cannot wait to fire it.

I've flown quite a few of the single use motors years ago. I'd put them in the Bt-55 rocket and watch them disappear. They could at times be a hard motor to lite.

I've flown quite a few of the single use motors years ago. I'd put them in the Bt-55 rocket and watch them disappear. They could at times be a hard motor to lite.

Yeah, I'm thinking they would be great for some "disposable" rockets....

I dunno, I mean you can get a 24mm and 29mm VMAX for CTI, so one would think it is possible with Aerotech as well.

From what I hear the Warp 9 just plays havoc on reliable delay element ignition. I had a local customer fly an H999 which comes with a smoke charge element which I presume is just a normal delay element. Anyhow, after flying one of these he brought over the smoke charge element and it showed no signs of ignition; not even like it was snuffed out. Nonetheless, it's a really cool propellant and I plan to fly some as well as the Boost-Sustain reloads that use a Warp 9 grain. Here's a video of the H999 I referenced above:

[video=youtube;G0PJ7MLor-E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0PJ7MLor-E[/video]

Can somebody give me a link, or a quick explanation, about the EZ reloads?
I don't have a local club to attend, and don't use Facebook. I checked the Aerotech website, but.....

(In all seriousness, I did find the info on a vendor site. But you get the idea)

I don't have a local club to attend, and don't use Facebook. I checked the Aerotech website, but.....

(In all seriousness, I did find the info on a vendor site. But you get the idea)

If you scroll through the propulsion section here, pages 1 and 2 there are several threads on the EZ loads including pics., failures, etc.

Did someone already mention the possibility of Aerotech making a 75mm RAS?

Never too early planning for the next great winter holiday sale, the thought of adding a broader selection of reloads that fit smaller cases than the 75/5120 used for an L3 attempt sure is mouthwatering. That would add a total of seven more affordable K's and L's to the mix. The K560W and L850W would definitely go on the Christmas Wish List if it was known a 75mm RAS would be available.

Any confirmation the 75mm RAS is in the works? If so, any idea of price?

Reloadable Adapter System. That is how you could use a 75/5120 reload in a 75/6400 case. Just like the systems for the 38mm.

Sorry, been a very rough 10 days or so and I am not firing on all propellant grains.

From what I understand, this is why many of the Warp 9 loads do not include delays. They are near impossible to get down in some cases.

From what I hear the Warp 9 just plays havoc on reliable delay element ignition. I had a local customer fly an H999 which comes with a smoke charge element which I presume is just a normal delay element. Anyhow, after flying one of these he brought over the smoke charge element and it showed no signs of ignition; not even like it was snuffed out. Nonetheless, it's a really cool propellant and I plan to fly some as well as the Boost-Sustain reloads that use a Warp 9 grain. Here's a video of the H999 I referenced above:

These are at the machinist now, should be a couple weeks and I'll have some concrete info. 75RAS is long overdue, we're on it.

Did someone already mention the possibility of Aerotech making a 75mm RAS?

Never too early planning for the next great winter holiday sale, the thought of adding a broader selection of reloads that fit smaller cases than the 75/5120 used for an L3 attempt sure is mouthwatering. That would add a total of seven more affordable K's and L's to the mix. The K560W and L850W would definitely go on the Christmas Wish List if it was known a 75mm RAS would be available.

Any confirmation the 75mm RAS is in the works? If so, any idea of price?

SpockNotsure001sm.jpg
[/IMG]
Any plans to produce the 24/40 case? This would be cheaper for me to fly than Estes D's and E' s.

From our website:

RMS-EZ Notice

Dear Dealers and Customers,

This notice is to inform you of a potential issue with the recently released AeroTech 38mm "RMS-EZ" reload kits with the modular forward bulkheads. We have been made aware of a small number of early ejection events occurring while using these kits. These incidents do not appear to be tied to any particular lot number(s) but instead seem to be related to the temperature cycling of a particular batch of adhesive used to bond the delay element into the modular forward bulkhead. We were able to duplicate the problem at our facility by repeatedly temperature cycling certain RMS-EZ reload kits over a period of several days.

RCS/AeroTech is actively researching the delay adhesive issue, but until a solution is found we request that flyers and dealers use one of the recently-released RMS-Plus "Complete Reload Delay Kits” (CRDKs) instead of the modular bulkhead supplied with the RMS-EZ kit. The CRDKs are being distributed free of charge to all RCS/AeroTech customers and can be installed in standard legacy 38mm RMS forward closures. The time delay of each CRDK can be adjusted using the AeroTech RMS Delay Drilling Tool (RDDT). All the CRDKs are supplied in the longest delay time available for the particular intended motor configuration.

Also, RCS will begin shipping the RMS-EZ kits in the RMS-Plus configuration with the same shipping tube, but clearly marked as “RMS-Plus” reloads. When RMS-EZ reload kit shipments resume, they will also include a matching CRDK so that consumers will have the option of using either delay charge solution for their rockets.

Dealers are asked to inventory their stock and advise us of the number of CRDKs they will need to retrofit RMS-EZ reload kits covered by this notice. Additionally, customers possessing any RMS-EZ reload kits are asked first to contact their respective dealer to obtain the CRDKs, if that is not convenient then they can contact RCS directly.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused for our dealers and their customers, and we thank you for your continued support.

Best regards,

Karl Baumann
Vice-President
RCS RMC, Inc.

Well that just cost me... :rolleyes: Thanks for confirming with some concrete news. Now to start planning how to exploit this coming 75RAS opportunity with some motive mischief.

Last edited:
Sounds like the right decision to make. If possible, send some CRDKs with Gary when he comes to NARAM (I have a J350W that I have been hesitant to fly due to this potential issue). Is there a similar issue with the DMS motors, as the forward delay appears to have a similar design?

Drastically simplify your product line! I know that you're introducing new technology (RMS-EZ, RAS, etc.), but your product line is just becoming unwieldy. Not only will simplifying your line help you on your end, but it will also help your vendors. It seems like you guys are making a buttload of changes very quickly and you're suffering growing pains as a result of it.

I see the lines like this:

1. HPR RMS+ kits that are delivered with a Long delay. Customers are instructed to purchase a drill or the instructions explain how to do it without an AT drill. This will be a large number of UPC's, but if there's one delay per UPC you'll have improved your current situation.
2. LPR and MPR RMS kits that are delivered with the historical S, M, L delays. These customers can't be expected to drill delays.
3. DMS Certification motors. I'd suggest a 29mm and 38mm L1 option (H135W, H100W), a 38mm and 54mm L2 option (J270W, J250W), and a 76mm L3 option (M1350W). This allows customers to get their cert with an SU motor and then ease into the purchase of a case. Again, single delay to be drilled.
4. DMS Specialty motors. Non-standard burn rates like the H45W, I65W, H550ST, and maybe the L1000W if your margins are good on that.
5. Hobby SU motors with historical S, M, L delays
6. Rocket kits

You have a massive product catalog. Simplification and a continuously updated, externally facing catalog will go a long way. Release a new product, release a new catalog. It doesn't have to be fancy, something like your DMS data sheet would be quite effective.

https://aerotech-rocketry.com/uploads/0144ffc9-bf32-4fae-9f91-7d0cf5ddd0bb_DMS™%20Data%20Sheet%205-12-15%20Small.pdf

AeroTech EZ reloads are designed to keep assembly to a minimum which also helps to eliminate errors during assembly. The delay comes preassembled and the user can drill the delay out to their specific requirements.

Kill RMS EZ. Nobody likes it. You're trying to grab CTI customers, and you may get one or two....but for each you're pissing off a dozen solid AT customers....and blowing up rockets sucks.

THIS! AT/RCS needs to realize that their competition is not CTI! Their competition is PlayStation, iPad and maybe Horizon Hobby. They need to spend less time poaching customers and more time getting new people in the hobby. If not, it is only a matter of time until both companies are swallowed up by a bigger company outside the hobby.

The delay is used only to fill the cavity.
It is NOT intended to do anything.
They had issues when testing them at LDRS 17 or so.
The instruction say to grease them so they don't burn.
Causing a possible CATO.
I usually fly them with a plugged or end-burner style closures.

JD

Hi
I read there was a DMS L CATO on Sat. at Potter. I am wondering if there is any feed back on the replacement DMS Ls that were sent out about a Month ago. I hope the CATO was on of the old DMS Ls. I have 2 of the replacements to fire.

Thanks Gary

Kill RMS EZ. Nobody likes it. You're trying to grab CTI customers, and you may get one or two....but for each you're pissing off a dozen solid AT customers....and blowing up rockets sucks.

Just kill it. I can build a delay just fine. Don't waste a dime trying to fix it. Kill it like a sack of unwanted kittens.

This style of statement does not help this discussion. Approaching the topic in this fashion will only harm the newly established lines of communication we have established here. AT has already stated that new RMS loads will include both the traditional and the EZ delays. Stirring this pot the wrong way will only drive our AT friends away. This is our best chance to have our opinions and desires heard and considered. But only if we approach it with civil and respectful tones.

According to our local vendors, this specific topic is split almost 50/50. Personally, I prefer the + delays. I like the idea of using the tapped closure for min diam. I also like the choice of plugged vs motor eject. I also see the advantage of EZ. And I'm not against it.

I do wish we had the tapped closure option for 29mm cases though. A 1/4"-20 tap would allow it. I'd have one milled but I couldn't fly it anywhere.

I want to OPENLY post some things I like about Aerotech .

A number of Non HAZMAT required shipping motors

Lotsa dealers

And some of my faves : F35W H250G H170M H550ST & K1103X

Kenny

I want to OPENLY post some things I like about Aerotech .

A number of Non HAZMAT required shipping motors

Lotsa dealers

And some of my faves : F35W H250G H170M H550ST & K1103X

Kenny

Great post. I completely agree, except you totally wiffed on the faves! They should be F24W, G64W, H128W, H180W, I161W, I211W, etc. ;)

Back