AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This may be a back burner project but is there any word on new Quest motors (something similar to Klima)? I seem to recall a hint on The Rocketry Show but all has been quiet since then

We have made a lot of progress on the Quest motors and have settled on a mold. The A and B motors will likely be available first and depending on when/how long NAR takes to test them may be available in the next 60-90 days.

One thing this thread has taught me is patience. I love having this back channel to a leader in our little hobby. As far as new products go, I'll get excited when they show up for sale at my favorite motor vendor (or anywhere).

This is a pretty good perspective to have. We are working on getting new items certified and available to purchase but unfortunately we can only control so much of the process.

...Wait, is this even true with DMS motors? Obviously with RMS motors, there are a lot more not-okay places for grains to go. But with a DMS motor...you pour it in the hole or out of the hole, it's not like it could slip past an O-ring or something....

Or not. I could be wrong. This is literally the first DMS motor I've ever used, so please correct me if I am wrong.

I have seen customers pour out the powder for various reasons and they each worked okay afterwards. The powder has no where to go except out the forward end.

Weren't we suppose to hearing about the new 24/60 loads around now? Or is that after a later event? I thought it was going to be demo'd at NSL.

Yes, NAR has had them for testing since the end of March and we have just been informed that they have not tested them because of a 'remodeling' project. This is the same excuse we were given last year so I will leave it at that. AT this point in time the ball is in the court of the NAR S&T.

The 24/60 loads were on display along with the Economax F67 motors at the NSL.

The NAR S&T had not certified the motors yet so they could not be flown. :(

This is correct. Tripoli allows for manufacturer's demo as well as EX which allows us to display them before they are certified. NAR launches do not offer the same so because they were not certified we couldn't fly them. Quite unfortunate as we were counting on them being certified in time for NSL.

Can anyone shed some light on what the deal is with the 29/40-120 cases? Are they that popular where they aren't ever in stock anymore or did I miss something in the last 9 years about them?

These should be available in the next 2-3 weeks. The demand for them has gone up significantly so we are planning accordingly.

This is correct. Tripoli allows for manufacturer's demo as well as EX which allows us to display them before they are certified. NAR launches do not offer the same so because they were not certified we couldn't fly them. Quite unfortunate as we were counting on them being certified in time for NSL.

is submitting them to Tripoli an option?

Had the pleasure of having a d15 load blow the rear closure on the maiden flight attempt of my Sat V. Did a pretty nice job on the motor mount, but no other damage to the rocket that I can tell. I'm guessing I should consider the case and closure scrap, even though I don't see any visible damage? I found the fuel grain about 10ft from the pad, that thing really rebounded off the blast deflector. Any idea what would cause this? Closure was screwed tight/flush, stock ignitor, cut a hole in the red cap. This was the second one from the pack, first one lit fine (these were actually the first two load for this brand new case).

One should always take pictures of parts/damage for inspection. You can tell a lot from them,& more often than not determine failure.

I wonder how sales would stack up worldwide, sport fliers vs NAR comp?
Maybe dual certify to keep the sport fliers happy? Any extra costs involved in dual certification would probably have been recouped by now.

The physical testing of engines is only part of the process. There are government hoops to jump through before the motors can be legally shipped for any purpose. For competition, the motors need to be generally available before they're certified for that use. There's a lot more to motor certification and test firing motor samples.

So can NAR get their $@!# together and test them already?

The physical testing of engines is only part of the process. There are government hoops to jump through before the motors can be legally shipped for any purpose. For competition, the motors need to be generally available before they're certified for that use. There's a lot more to motor certification and test firing motor samples.

It sounds like none of that is what's slowing things down.

Last edited:
The test requirements for model rocket motors require more firings than for HPR motors. I'm not sure if TMT has ever tested a model rocket motor. It would be nice to hear NAR S&T's side of the story.

Sorry to have confused the Klima motors with the reloads in question.

I know why Klima motors aren't available in the US, I also know from Aerotech the delays are not on their end. I never stated I knew why the motors were taking this long to cert.

Sorry to have confused the Klima motors with the reloads in question.
That makes sense now, I was wondering where Klima came from. The widespread availability of the motors is a requirement for competition certification, so they have to have NAR cert first, and then they can get the competition cert when they are easily available to all competition flyers.

One should always take pictures of parts/damage for inspection. You can tell a lot from them,& more often than not determine failure.

Might I add something important. Please fill out the form on motorcato.org. This is the official mechanism to report motor failures so that the motor cert orgs see the data. Without this data there is no mechanism to track issues that might be happening on a larger scale.

I received this yesterday, didn't see it on their facebook page, home page or listed here anywhere...I had one of the "small number" of L-1000's this last weekend at NXRS mfg november 15, 2016 that had the casing separate and cato, a reminder for the date code, for it's YMDDMY 111516 so first and last make the year, ie 16, second and fifth make the month, ie 11, 3rd and forth make the day, 15. I did have two that I had previously flown from May and August that worked fine. Gary was there at NXRS and looked at it and thought the wind angle may have been at fault, which this confirms.

Dear AeroTech Retailer,

We have recently received reports of a very small number of case failures of the 54mm J450DM and L1000W, and the 75mm M1350W.

After investigation, we discovered that the wind angle on the fiberglass cases used in these motors is out of specification. This reduces the strength of the case and could result in an increased incidence of motor failures.

Please pull any of the above mentioned motors from your stock that have been received since January 1, 2016. Also, return the M1350W case assemblies (nozzle, case & liner) you currently have to AeroTech/RCS as soon as possible. Do not sell any of the M1350Ws until the case assemblies have been replaced.

Please contact any customers you may have sold these to and let them know so they can be replaced if not already used.

Let us know the number of these motors that you have in stock and we will send you replacements as soon as possible.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and thank you for your continued support.

Back