AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charlie,

I was poking around on buyrocketmotors site and noticed that the 29mm motors in the new packaging come with 14 second delays. Seriously thank you for this! I love to see that 29mm still gets a little love. Now your just have to come out with some ST loads for the 180-360 cases. Oh man the fun that would be had. Keep up the great work AT!

We're on it Jarrett! We have put all 29, 38 and 54mm reloads and DMS motors in diameter-specific tubing which offers several benefits:

-All 29 and 38 come with 14 second adjustable delays (the BJ/FJ are 10 second, Warp9 plugged)
-No more damaged liners
-Packaging better suited to keep the contents fresh and easier to store
-Color-coded for easy propellant type identification

29mm ST is being developed.

I really liked that O motor test you posted on Facebook. I would post a link here but not sure how to do that for those that don't FB...

I used a M1939w for my L3 flight. A 2005 motor that was originally set up with the phenolic forward seal disc. SO, I used a brand new AT aluminum seal disc with o-ring. When I was cleaning the motor parts, I found the seal disc had a notch burned out of it. Mine wasn't burned as big as yours, but I still didn't wanna use it again. Dr Reese looked at it and said it would be fine, so I gave it to him... The new AT stainless disc is on my short list to buy, especially since I got another older M1939 to fly...

Same thing happened to a new fwd seal disc used in my K1103X at LDRS this year. I had never seen an aluminum seal disc "chewed up * like that until then.

I have gone to the stainless disc no matter what 98mm load. True it was intended for the Super Thunder Propellants but seems like cheap insurance especially when seeing the above pictures. During LDRS I used them on an N2000W, M1075DM, M4500ST, M2000R, M2400T. No signs of fatigue on any.

It might be a good option to have on smaller cases also. I have seen a number of seal disks eaten by the 54mm K1103X reload.

Thanks for the replies and additional data points, it was a new one to me but I see that it is not completely unheard of.

Yeah, it doesn't happen often but once and a while the longburns will eat the edges off. We are including the new 98mm Stainless Steel Seal Disc with all 98/15360 cases/motors moving forward. We are also making a 75mm Stainless Disc for the 75mm Super Thunder loads under development.

Inbox me a shipping address for you and we will take care of it.

Thank you Charlie, I will-- that's going above and beyond, and is certainly appreciated!

I believe we will eventually offer a stainless steel 54mm just for that load which seems to terrorize seal discs.

I'm looking forward to the stainless 54mm seal disc availability - we've got a couple of University teams that seem to like the K1103X load, and I'm not sure that I can keep up with the damaged aluminum ones.

Mark

We will have the US Mailable J520W to demo as well as a DMS J435WS (or 2). If we can get them certified before NSL we will have 24/60 loads and F67WS to demo also. We will be looking for flyers. :wink:

Charlie,
I just received a brand new 24/60 set from friend Paul Wolaver. He and I will both be at NSL. We both would be thrilled to try out any new reloads for this case. I'll also have my 18/20s, 24/40s, and 29/40-120s (two of each casing). I've been a flyer of the 29/40-120 for 25 years now!

I also have a couple G71R reloads for the 29/40-120 that I bought when they first came out. Would appreciate any words of advice on their use.

Looking forward to meeting you.

I just bought an M-1780 NT. Does this motor need grain bonding? There wasn't anything in the instructions about it, but it has been mentioned to me.

Thanks Dave! I went ahead and posted it to YouTube:

[video]https://youtu.be/Jsk8MW7wuLs[/video]

That looks awesome., and yes, it brought a big grin to my face after a really rough day at work.

Charlie,
I just received a brand new 24/60 set from friend Paul Wolaver. He and I will both be at NSL. We both would be thrilled to try out any new reloads for this case. I'll also have my 18/20s, 24/40s, and 29/40-120s (two of each casing). I've been a flyer of the 29/40-120 for 25 years now!

I also have a couple G71R reloads for the 29/40-120 that I bought when they first came out. Would appreciate any words of advice on their use.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Come by and see us Lee, would be great to meet you. We won't have anything new for the 40-120 but I think we will have the F67 and the 24/60 loads.

Come by and see us Lee, would be great to meet you. We won't have anything new for the 40-120 but I think we will have the F67 and the 24/60 loads.

Charlie,
Looking forward to meeting you! Are you aware of any concerns using the Estes plastic 24mm screw-on motor retainers with the 24/60 RMS (heat concerns perhaps)? I have a number of Rocketarium aluminum retainers I use with the 24/40, but the larger aft closure on the 24/60 won't fit them.

I can use metal clips but would like to use a screw-on type if possible.

Thanks!

Charlie,
Looking forward to meeting you! Are you aware of any concerns using the Estes plastic 24mm screw-on motor retainers with the 24/60 RMS (heat concerns perhaps)? I have a number of Rocketarium aluminum retainers I use with the 24/40, but the larger aft closure on the 24/60 won't fit them.

Thanks!
I use 29/40-120's in the 29mm variant, no issues.

Charlie,

Thanks!

Estes retainers don't melt, I've put just about every type of H motor on the 29's with no damage, 24mm motors aren't going to get as hot as a 29mm I motor.

I use 29/40-120's in the 29mm variant, no issues.

Thanks for feedback. Also, I forgot that the larger Estes PS II kits (now discontinued) recommended composite motors, and they came with the plastic retainers.

Also, I tried the 24/60 with a plastic retainer from an Honest John kit, and Was able to get two full turns after good thread engagement. Looks like I'm good to go.

Thanks for feedback. Also, I forgot that the larger Estes PS II kits (now discontinued) recommended composite motors, and they came with the plastic retainers.

Also, I tried the 24/60 with a plastic retainer from an Honest John kit, and Was able to get two full turns after good thread engagement. Looks like I'm good to go.

I launched my Estes Argent on an I200W using the stock plastic retainer. The surface of the retainer cap took a serious beating but no deformation or structural damage. I'm still using that cap every launch.

I launched my Estes Argent on an I200W using the stock plastic retainer. The surface of the retainer cap took a serious beating but no deformation or structural damage. I'm still using that cap every launch.
Was that a landing-beating or a fire-beating?

Fire beating. I'll see about snapping a pic and posting it. Poor argent took a nasty fall last year. The DD failed on her. Fell from nearly 2400 feet and landed on her face. But the retainer is still good.

I'm starting to prep rockets for NSL and am planning on flying another I59, one of my favorite long burn motors. Really liking the updated instructions for this motor. I seem to remember years ago when I first started flying this motor, they weren't written specific to assembling this unique motor. So, I'm mixing up some 5 min. epoxy to bond the big endburn grain, which I think is a relatively new step, and adding some superlube to inhibit the top, added the insulator, forward O-ring, and screwed on the endburn forward closure. Everything going to plan until I read that there is supposed to be another insulator (fiber) washer at the bottom... Not in the little plastic bag of parts, not in the silver anti-static bag that holds the grains....

HEY CHARLIE? HELP! The instructions clearly show there should be two of these in the kit, just wondering if I can steal one of these from another reload and finish the assembly with that? I probably have another dozen or so 38mm reloads in my stash. I could also wait and bring it to NSL if you could bring a spare one.
I'm really looking forward to seeing the new offerings you guys are bringing to the launch. I bought a spare 24/60 casing in the hopes of flying the new redline reload for that motor. Also planning on flying a couple of Dark Matter "L's" if I can fit them under the waiver....

I'm starting to prep rockets for NSL and am planning on flying another I59, one of my favorite long burn motors. Really liking the updated instructions for this motor. I seem to remember years ago when I first started flying this motor, they weren't written specific to assembling this unique motor. So, I'm mixing up some 5 min. epoxy to bond the big endburn grain, which I think is a relatively new step, and adding some superlube to inhibit the top, added the insulator, forward O-ring, and screwed on the endburn forward closure. Everything going to plan until I read that there is supposed to be another insulator (fiber) washer at the bottom... Not in the little plastic bag of parts, not in the silver anti-static bag that holds the grains....

HEY CHARLIE? HELP! The instructions clearly show there should be two of these in the kit, just wondering if I can steal one of these from another reload and finish the assembly with that? I probably have another dozen or so 38mm reloads in my stash. I could also wait and bring it to NSL if you could bring a spare one.
I'm really looking forward to seeing the new offerings you guys are bringing to the launch. I bought a spare 24/60 casing in the hopes of flying the new redline reload for that motor. Also planning on flying a couple of Dark Matter "L's" if I can fit them under the waiver....

I thought this would use a seal disk for the forward end, and the fiber washer aft end.

So I'm digging through my AT 38mm reloads box and find this:
002.jpg

I think I got this from Juan a while ago, anybody want to guess how old it is? It even includes a piece of thermite and long version of the old copperhead igniter:
001.jpg

If anybody thinks that AT reloads have too many little parts, just look at what they used to have... I'm betting the wet nap might not be wet anymore, but a nice thing to have after you smear grease all over the liner.

Hi Wayne
if Charlie can't help you let me know I have them .
Also don't use the forward closure parts out of that old reload, it might end up being a really cool flight.

Hi Wayne
if Charlie can't help you let me know I have them .
Also don't use the forward closure parts out of that old reload, it might end up being a really cool flight.

Thanks Tim, we got it covered. I probably won't ever fly that old reload, the directions don't even say what case it fits into. I would guess a 38/240 since it has two grains. The little disk says it's an H242, which is a blue thunder load. I might just use the propellant to augment an igniter, maybe beat Sharon in a drag race someday....:wink:
IMG_1188.jpg

Back