AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the plus side just got the new sport rocketry magazine. No wind chime ad on the back . :p

On the plus side just got the new sport rocketry magazine. No wind chime ad on the back . :p

I saw that too! I withdraw my earlier snarky gripe about that silly ad.

However (you knew there had to be a "however", right?), this new ad is still pretty unprofessional. I'm not clear if they are intentionally going for a "everyday guy" feel, or if they don't want to spring for a professional photo. There's one tall guy in the back trying to peek out from under the EZ-up! It still feels like something done on the spur of the moment, not a well-thought-out ad.

Oh, well. Not a big deal. Just some unsolicited criticism on my part.

The problem is it could be interpreted as, "Your Aerotech motor hardware you just bought is worthless now. Make it into a wind chime."
Hence my comment about not turning my expensive Dr. Rocket's hardware into wind chimes. And I know the origin of the wind chime reference.

Did anyone else notice the rather understated finger gesture in the original ad?

The problem is it could be interpreted as, "Your Aerotech motor hardware you just bought is worthless now. Make it into a wind chime."

It could also be interpreted as the easy peazy CTI hardware is now wind chime material because the new DMS motors are even easier. Glass half full, half empty sort of thing.

Hey if it was me I'd be in the parking lot doing donuts firing off jethitch's all day instead of reading this thread :)

It could also be interpreted as the easy peazy CTI hardware is now wind chime material because the new DMS motors are even easier. Glass half full, half empty sort of thing.

The point is, it's open to all kinds of interpretations. That's not a good ad. You want a clear, unambiguous message. Anything distracting from that, like a person peeking from under the EZ-Up, or possibly a person giving the finger, or maybe dangling a wind chime --- all that detracts from that message.

Truth be told the original wind chime message was clear as a bell to most people that have been flying HP for a while. It was a big FU and the horse you rode in on to a certain vendor and motor company that backed a silly and controversial program to rid the world of AT cases. I put it in the "if you have to ask" category and I am sure many people didn't.

Here are my questions:

Will Aerotech ever re-introduce the Phoneix Rocket Boost Glider (or any other RCBG offerings)? Will Aerotech continue to produce RC motors? Is there any chance they can find a way to make a RC case that isn't stupidly expensive?

Since I'm on a posting frenzy here on TRF today....you can put me in the "they need to rethink their current marketing strategy" camp. I won't bother repeating all which was said, but I will say that their ad campaign has turned me off from their product lines - the very opposite of what advertising is supposed to do.

Truth be told the original wind chime message was clear as a bell to most people that have been flying HP for a while. It was a big FU and the horse you rode in on to a certain vendor and motor company that backed a silly and controversial program to rid the world of AT cases. I put it in the "if you have to ask" category and I am sure many people didn't.

Someone explained it to me, and that's why I called it an "inside joke" earlier. It doesn't make sense, unless you know the story. I rejoined the hobby as a BAR 2 1/2 years ago, and it made no sense to me for a couple of years until I finally asked about it.

Anyway... It looks like they got rid of it. Now, about the new one...

I was around when Aerotech had their first presence here on the forum and what happened is the same thing that is happening now. This thread is getting loaded up with unnecessary comments. Can't blame them for not reading thru all the crap wondering when the thread will gt back on subject. Who the hell cares about the ads. I suppose they could spend thousands having it professionally done and add it on to their prices. Just saying better to keep this thread a little "cleaner" or we will not be hearing back from them.

Those folks on the back of the latest Sport Rocketry magazine Aerotech ad are mostly the current or past Tripoli BOD. I didn't recognize everyone but most, if not all are TRA folks.

Those folks on the back of the latest Sport Rocketry magazine Aerotech ad are mostly the current or past Tripoli BOD. I didn't recognize everyone but most, if not all are TRA folks.

Sounds like another "insider" reference.

Oh, well. I didn't mean to sidetrack the thread with my comments about the ad. It wasn't a complaint. It was offered more as unsolicited take-it-or-leave-it constructive criticism that maybe they can use to improve their ads and maybe get more value out of their marketing budget. I'm a volunteer "focus group" of one, offering free feedback on the consumer perception and reaction to the ad. Big companies pay to research that kind of thing.

I use the DMS motors, I like them a lot, and I recommend them to first-time HPR flyers. I just think the ads for these motors look amateurish, and the photos don't do anything to grab attention or reinforce the marketing message. It shouldn't cost too much to get something better.

The advantages of DMS:

No motor hardware: No upfront investment. No hardware at risk for riskier launches --- trying a new technique, making an altitude attempt, less than perfect flying conditions, etc. Makes clustering less expensive.

No assembly: Saves time. Get more launches in a day. Less need to prep ahead. Good for beginners. Lower risk of user error.

Is there a way the graphics could support those ideas?

I was around when Aerotech had their first presence here on the forum and what happened is the same thing that is happening now. This thread is getting loaded up with unnecessary comments. Can't blame them for not reading thru all the crap wondering when the thread will gt back on subject. Who the hell cares about the ads. I suppose they could spend thousands having it professionally done and add it on to their prices. Just saying better to keep this thread a little "cleaner" or we will not be hearing back from them.

Aerotech asked for input. We are not asking them to spend thousands to give it the Madison Avenue treatment - just providing feedback that for some of us their current ads detract from whatever their message is supposed to be. I would expect they would want to know this information and the I think that Thirsty has done a great job of pointing out where they could "do better" and he is right that this kind of feedback is what other companies pay a crapload of money for. If Thirsty feels this way, I promise you there are many, many others who are not going to speak up that feel the same way. That said, Aerotech will do whatever they want. They may feel that their best bet is to continue to appeal to people who are "in the know" and just leverage that to get others talking about their brand. Apparently it has worked since we are talking about it, but I don't think in the way Aerotech intended.

As far as "scaring Aerotech off" I think that they have already pulled up their stakes and have moved on since they got what they needed long before now.

Oh, well. I didn't mean to sidetrack the thread with my comments about the ad. It wasn't a complaint. It was offered more as unsolicited take-it-or-leave-it constructive criticism that maybe they can use to improve their ads and maybe get more value out of their marketing budget. I'm a volunteer "focus group" of one, offering free feedback on the consumer perception and reaction to the ad. Big companies pay to research that kind of thing.

I use the DMS motors, I like them a lot, and I recommend them to first-time HPR flyers. I just think the ads for these motors look amateurish, and the photos don't do anything to grab attention or reinforce the marketing message. It shouldn't cost too much to get something better.

The advantages of DMS:

No motor hardware: No upfront investment. No hardware at risk for riskier launches --- trying a new technique, making an altitude attempt, less than perfect flying conditions, etc. Makes clustering less expensive.

No assembly: Saves time. Get more launches in a day. Less need to prep ahead. Good for beginners. Lower risk of user error.

Ahhhh, I'm with you TB on this one. I think people read too much into the "wind chime" deal. Nobody should be expected to "sell off" their hardware. If they have it, the reloads are still economical to run. You hit the nail on the head with riskier projects
ie. risk of losing or recovery failure. Single use motor? No worry about losing the case investment. Clustering, you again hit it on the head. Cheaper to run two or more motors without investing in a whole passel of cases.
I've got a bunch of 18 to 29mm loads and cripes I'm afraid I'll lose the pricey hardware in a stupid modroc type and chose the rocket and weight carefully so it doesn't go out of sight.

I haven't used a DMS motor yet but heck I do like choices and consider it a nice option. I won't get rid of my cases as I like Ex too and need 'em for toying with that. Kurt

The advantages of DMS:

Ahhhh, I'm with you TB on this one. I think people read too much into the "wind chime" deal. Nobody should be expected to "sell off" their hardware. If they have it, the reloads are still economical to run. You hit the nail on the head with riskier projects
ie. risk of losing or recovery failure. Single use motor? No worry about losing the case investment. Clustering, you again hit it on the head. Cheaper to run two or more motors without investing in a whole passel of cases.
I've got a bunch of 18 to 29mm loads and cripes I'm afraid I'll lose the pricey hardware in a stupid modroc type and chose the rocket and weight carefully so it doesn't go out of sight.

I haven't used a DMS motor yet but heck I do like choices and consider it a nice option. I won't get rid of my cases as I like Ex too and need 'em for toying with that. Kurt

Or maybe it's Memorial Day weekend and they are taking a few days off..

Dun dun duuuuuuunnnnnn

Sort out a proper UK EU supply.

Having had various talks, lies, story's and set backs I'd like the truth to posted publicly.

Your ass is beaten by CTI due to this in the UK EU.

Your 'EU' supply doesn't talk to anyone out side his country.

You supply directly to a country via the UK which technically you shouldn't due to the lack of any support for the UK.

Good luck

TALON and Rcktnut - Many thanks for clearing this up. All of this makes much more sense to me now.

Charlie - A huge thanks to you for joining us and following up with our concerns. A great sigh of relief.

Thanks!
Dennis

Very glad to clear up any questions and also dream up cool motors with you all. :D

I was one of the members who was ready to stop using Aerotech if the jethitch product hit the public. I am encouraged by your fast response to our concerns as well as to the opening of a direct line if communication here. Many have expressed a feeling that the communication to and from your company was non-existent. I hope that your participation in this community is not just a response to the jethitch backlash and that it will be a permanent thing. To that end might I suggest upgrading your forum membership to give you unlimited private message space? Already it seems your inbox has become full and this prevents members from contacting you privately. I want to state I am not affiliated with the forum and gain nothing from you paying a membership, I just feel in your position as the contact point for a major vendor keeping lines open is important.
Secondly, I fly both AT and CTI and one frustration I have with CTI is that due to their simplified plastic forward closure it is difficult to use them in minimum diameter rockets and even their tapped 54mm closure it's only for retention and can't be used to anchor recovery harnesses. I hope you consider these problems with your RMS-EZ line.

It would be dishonest if I were to imply the JetHitch release didn't have any effect on forum participation but I have been eager to get on here and begin interacting with the community beforehand. I just wanted to let the community know that we hear them and we are taking action to improve. I got the sense that many of them felt like their voices were not being heard. That isn't true, but without communicating that to them how would they know?

I will be upgrading and am looking into doing some forum sponsorship. I view this forum as essential.

I see the point about the closures also, will have to check that out. Thanks for some good points.

the comments regarding more colors for 29/40-120 and more hazmat free reloads are spot on. I throw a non hazmat load or two in every order I make. I now have 38 and 54mm AT hardware but have not flown it yet because of hazmat charges. waiting for LDRS so I can pick them up. my local vendor only sells CTI. Right now AT owns the market on 24 and 29mm motors, nobody can touch your prices. don't get lazy or you'll lose it.

Excellent points about the hazmat charges. I have worked in the shipping area for a year now so I have seen some real benefits to shipping USPS. I believe we had a decent surge in the Loadable Motor System (LMS) which allows us to ship G motors whose single-use counterparts require hazmat. USPS has a 25lb limit on hazmat (dangerous goods) whereas FedEx allows up to 70lbs.

Lets see, 38/720 and 1080 blue. Yep, thats the ticket. 1080 Dark Matter would be kool too. 54/2520 blue.. I can go on forever!! I would REALLY love to see the 98/15360 N2220 DM load brought back!!

[video]https://youtu.be/i59Ds8rYM-U[/video]

Charlie-It was a pleasure meeting you and talking at SpringFest. Thanks for the DMS motor and drilling the delay for me. It was so impressive I'm ordering 5 more! Two great pics were taken at liftoff and I hope to be back in October to re-create that flight (with a few mods!). Sorry I didn't get to thank you properly as I was hurriedly trying to get back into town to see about the rear window getting replaced. Needless to say, I was impressed to see you on the field as I'm sure the workweek just seemed extended to you over the weekend. Kudos again!
(p.s.-if you want the flight details, you have my card or just let me know if you want me to e-mail you. I picked up the remains on the way out and did the forensics back in San Diego. FWIW, the motor performed flawlessly, but I botched the mechanical interface.)

Oh yeah, your window!!! I definitely enjoyed our conversations, and it was really my pleasure to be in the field and able to offer support. Would love to see the pics too. It looks like ROCStock in June will be my next launch.

Back