AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had my second CATO of a 40-120 Hobbyline case (my only CATOs in ~50 composite reload flights in 18-38mm). In both cases, the forward closure blew out due to apparent thread failure (post CATO, the threads on the forward closure are notably shiny, i.e. they have been scraped off to at least past the depth of the anodizing). Motors blew out just after coming to pressure, still on the rail. The rear closure and nozzle held, actually blowing out the back of the rocket and taking the Estes plastic retainer with it.

Sadly, both cases were outside the warranty so I'm kind of hosed on that end. Anybody else had similar failures with this casing? Seems like the thin wall (and thus shallow threading) of the case might be a marginal design (if anything, you'd think the plastic nozzle would go first in a true overpressure)? Which would be a shame, because I love the reloads - not a huge variety but inexpensive and great for the Estes PSII line.

There was a recall on the Hobby line 29/40-120 for the forward closure threads. There was a batch where they were tapped too deeply and the case itself would fail under pressure right at the machined screw in portion for the forward closure.

I am hoping AT gets the new ST out in 29mm by this coming spring. I would like to see them in a 120 through 360 offering. That would be sweeeeeeet!

Mark,

I don't see a delay element in the photos, are you referring to the delay insulators (the small white tubes the delay element goes inside of)?

I've got an F22-5J and an F22-7J, both have the same apparent size delay element. Are they supposed to be different sizes? Pics :

View attachment 328498View attachment 328499

cheers - mark

So whats the deal with the 54mm hardware? No vendors seem to have the cases for RAS. Right now I'm looking for a RAS before November when i play to do a launch.

54mm tubes have been scarce for the last 3 months or so but we just had them ran. They will be back in stock next week. The 54RAS is waiting on a couple of the components still, looking at 2-3 weeks out on those.

You're welcome Bill, glad you got some nice altitude out of that motor!

In case you have not heard about the new 38mm No Hazmat J520W, it is one freaky fast motor. I flew one yesterday at Tulsa Rocketry's High Frontier in my Go Devil 38
to an altitude of 10550 feet. Lots of really cool stuff coming from Aerotech these days so try one of these, I think you'll like em. I had the Go Pro in my pocket at the pad but forgot to set it up so sorry no video. Big thanks to Charlie Savoie!!
View attachment 329308View attachment 329309

We are just waiting on the 24mm aft closures to come in and the R/C hardware will be good to go. Also have 54mm and 75mm tubes on the way. Hopefully by end of month we will have you caught up Frank.

I think generally there seems to be a backlog on casings ordered from Aerotech, as a dealer I've had 98, 75 and 54 on order since the beginning of July, with eta a few weeks out still as of last week, the 24/40 RMS RC casings have been on order since mid July and they were not able to give me an ETA even when I pinged them last week.

Frank

For me that is no excuse CTI has been down for over a year. No reason at all to buy a reload if you can't get the hardware.

We are selling exponentially more hardware now than we ever have before. We have 3 machinists and 1 of them is out of service for now. We also purchase our hardware differently now in order to keep costs low so we run all of the same diameter tubes at the same time. We are also ordering much larger quantities and both of these factors add time.

I wish they would say something about it instead of being quiet. I had to buy my case used as no vendors had it in stock and I can't find anyone with an RMS system for 54mm either. Like is there a problem or did they just stop making a bunch of stuff? At least CTI has released updates on their situation. Barely got into Aerotech and am glad I started with CTI after this mess.

I don't think you want to compare the information flow between the companies. It's not even close. You are one of many who got into AeroTech at about the same time so we are dealing with unprecedented demand. You will have AeroTech hardware before you get the CTI load you want.

The CTI fire was tragic and therefore it hurt their production.
If I was a competitor I would have focused my efforts to step up propellant and hdw production to meet the current needs and garner new customers.
Example: There are plenty of us with AT, CTI or snap ring 75mm hardware that could use AT reloads right now but very little is available.
What I have witnessed in the past 2 years, is seeing more emphasis on new motor development and a little less of filling old and new orders.

If you are having an issue getting 75mm loads then there is something else going on there. We have no problems with propellant, it is currently 29mm and 54mm hardware we are out of. Any other issues are dealer-driven.

Last edited:
Just had my second CATO of a 40-120 Hobbyline case (my only CATOs in ~50 composite reload flights in 18-38mm). In both cases, the forward closure blew out due to apparent thread failure (post CATO, the threads on the forward closure are notably shiny, i.e. they have been scraped off to at least past the depth of the anodizing). Motors blew out just after coming to pressure, still on the rail. The rear closure and nozzle held, actually blowing out the back of the rocket and taking the Estes plastic retainer with it.

Sadly, both cases were outside the warranty so I'm kind of hosed on that end. Anybody else had similar failures with this casing? Seems like the thin wall (and thus shallow threading) of the case might be a marginal design (if anything, you'd think the plastic nozzle would go first in a true overpressure)? Which would be a shame, because I love the reloads - not a huge variety but inexpensive and great for the Estes PSII line.

Send an email to [email protected] and we will take care of it for you. Apologies for the CATOs, I think you may have gotten the older Chinese versions.

We are selling exponentially more hardware now than we ever have before. We have 3 machinists and 1 of them is out of service for now. We also purchase our hardware differently now in order to keep costs low so we run all of the same diameter tubes at the same time. We are also ordering much larger quantities and both of these factors add time.

Thanks Charlie for the feed back. Some times things come up in life we can't control.

We are just waiting on the 24mm aft closures to come in and the R/C hardware will be good to go. Also have 54mm and 75mm tubes on the way. Hopefully by end of month we will have you caught up Frank.

Thanks! I called Wildman today and got the same statement. Really, really hoping these get in soon for the TARC teams...

Charlie/AT,

I've started flying more 75mm AT reloads. Forgive me if this question has been discussed already, but has Aerotech opted to use the seal disk and single-throat nozzle for all 75mm reloads?

The L850 did not indicate that a seal disk was needed in the instructions, but IIRC, there was no fwd insulating disk included in the reload.

Also, the L850 and L1170 instruction sets indicate a medusa nozzle, but I believe the reloads included a single-throat version.

Thanks!
Erik

Is it too hard to ask for an I225FJ with a 14s delay grain option? Why do some motors only have one delay option?

Is it too hard to ask for an I225FJ with a 14s delay grain option? Why do some motors only have one delay option?
I agree. I buy 14 sec delays for FJ motors separately. I wish all motors H and up came with 14 sec delays. We could drill down to the needed timing.

Ordered a bunch of reloads, getting an M1850, backordered were M1315, M1780 and M1297 among countless other smaller stuff including some hardware that other folks are not getting either.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Cough cough....spit, Wow. Can I come over to your house to play? That is going to be some fun

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

We've seen this topic in this very thread before. Can we get a definitive answer? I've been waiting a year for more 24/60 reloads.

If the problem is NAR, I will vote with my pocketbook and not renew my NAR membership.

I think it’s worthwhile to remind people that rebuilding a motor testing organization made up entirely of volunteers, after the head of the group unexpectedly passes away, would be a significant challenge for anyone.

I think it’s worthwhile to remind people that rebuilding a motor testing organization made up entirely of volunteers, after the head of the group unexpectedly passes away, would be a significant challenge for anyone.

Thank you for your post. That's information I did not have.

Is there an investment opportunity there?

Is there an investment opportunity there?

Only if you want to turn a large investment into a small one. I’d be happy to further discuss the economics of motor certification with you but let’s take it out of the Aerotech thread. The fees are extremely low, the investment (time and money) is not.

Steve Shannon

Back