AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Without a new shipping exemption we will not be able to offer any sparky reloads smaller than 38mm. However, we can ship S/U hobby sparkys so if we were to make an 18mm sparky it would have to be single use for now.

Ok, how about other propelents? Smokey? Red? Etc.

SU would be fine btw.

Hi Charlie.... Have the replacement motors been sent to the Wildman Yet? This is about the J250W motor that CATO'D at MidWest Power in Nov. 2016. Thanks Greg Olson Elgin,IL

I think you are placing too much value on a new catalog. The motor matrix contains all of the information you need and can be updated daily if necessary. This isn't to say that a new catalog isn't happening but there are other areas to address. If after a year and a half all we have to be concerned about is a catalog then I would say that is quite successful compared to where we were at.

I agree. Between the ThrustCurve app on my iphone (you can download everything in case you don't have service on the field), the new motor matrix, and the info that comes with the reload kit, I've never wondered which motor to fly next. Let the '09-'10 catalog live on!!! (just my opinion.)

You guys have done a great job resolving the hardware availability and limited communication issues from a while ago, and coming up with lots of new motors to keep us happy and coming back for more.

Are there any plans for more 38-1320 reloads? I would absolutely love a green load for this case. A long burn white lightning would be very interesting, but probably not see a lot of use.

For the second time in a row I've ordered a DMS H550 (38mm Super Thunder) and gotten an RMS reload kit instead. I really suggest that AT change the name of the reload kit to something other than H550. It seems like most vendors' stocking systems are unable to keep track of two products with the same name.

For the second time in a row I've ordered a DMS H550 (38mm Super Thunder) and gotten an RMS reload kit instead. I really suggest that AT change the name of the reload kit to something other than H550. It seems like most vendors' stocking systems are unable to keep track of two products with the same name.

I agree, a reload and single use should never be the same numbers

Vendors need to fix this not Aerotech.
That's one way to look at it. Another is that both AT and CTI have selected motor names for reasons other than the average impulse before, so there's no need to reuse the same name. You can look back at this very thread and see that many people were unaware there even was an RMS version of the H550.

BTW, I have been contacted by vendors who went out of their way to keep track of these items, and that's great. Unfortunately I wasn't dealing with them. No blame for anyone really, I just think it'd be less confusing if this issue didn't exist.

The H550 is a great motor in both DMS and RMS versions, so no complaints there!

I agree. Between the ThrustCurve app on my iphone (you can download everything in case you don't have service on the field), the new motor matrix, and the info that comes with the reload kit, I've never wondered which motor to fly next. Let the '09-'10 catalog live on!!! (just my opinion.)

You guys have done a great job resolving the hardware availability and limited communication issues from a while ago, and coming up with lots of new motors to keep us happy and coming back for more.

Are there any plans for more 38-1320 reloads? I would absolutely love a green load for this case. A long burn white lightning would be very interesting, but probably not see a lot of use.

We don't have anything planned at this time but the 1320 case is on our radar for some new loads. A few others have been asking for a green there also so we will be doing some research throughout the year. Mostly though you will see new hobby products in the first part of the year.

We don't have anything planned at this time but the 1320 case is on our radar for some new loads. A few others have been asking for a green there also so we will be doing some research throughout the year. Mostly though you will see new hobby products in the first part of the year.

Charlie, I wonder who might be asking for Mojave Green? I think it would be me- very likely my favorite propellant.

There won't be anymore DMS/RMS that share names moving forward. Currently the J250 and H550 are available as DMS and RMS although the J250s are completely different motors. That being said, we ship them pretty frequently and rarely if ever have any issues.

Hi Charlie.... Have the replacement motors been sent to the Wildman Yet? This is about the J250W motor that CATO'D at MidWest Power in Nov. 2016. Thanks Greg Olson Elgin,IL

Hi Greg,

Please contact our warranty department for any status updates or you may want to get a hold of Wildman and ask him if he received them.

As long as we are putting in requests, I would love a non-hazmat reload for the 38 480 case (which is suspect is the practical size limit for the smaller grain size required).

Last edited:
Good morning Charlie,

I recently took delivery of (2) K-2050's. Based on posts in this thread, the grains need to be bonded to the liner. Question is, does the K-2050 get bonded to the liner WITHOUT grain spacer o-rings? Both of the K-2050's did not include said O-rings, so I wanted to make sure long before I glue one of these rascals together. If they DO require grain spacer o-rings, what is the dash number please?

Thank you sir,

K-2050 - see post number 1240.jpg

AT issued an advisory and grain bonding instructions for:

75mm
K1000T, L1520T, L2200G, M1500G, M1780NT

98mm
L1500T, M2400T, L2500ST, M4500ST, M1845NT, M2100G, M2500T, M2000R, M6000ST, N2000W, N3300R, N2200DM

I was unaware of the need to bond the K2050 reload for the 54/1706 case. I have not yet received my WM Black Saturday order.

Wildman Tim called and spoke to Charlie yesterday. The K-2050 does not need to to be glued together. The TMT announcement contains that erroneous instruction that the 2050 needs to be glued. It would be great if TMT updated the announcement as to not confuse customers.

Wildman Tim called and spoke to Charlie yesterday. The K-2050 does not need to to be glued together. The TMT announcement contains that erroneous instruction that the 2050 needs to be glued. It would be great if TMT updated the announcement as to not confuse customers.

Have you, Aerotech, or anyone else passed this information on to TMT? Or at least post it in the Tripoli Forum?

Steve Shannon

If you post a link to where the incorrect information is published and if I can get confirmation from Aerotech that the information is incorrect, I'll bring it up with the appropriate people. I don't know if the motor testing was done with the grains glued or what effect that has on the certification.

Steve Shannon

If you post a link to where the incorrect information is published and if I can get confirmation from Aerotech that the information is incorrect, I'll bring it up with the appropriate people. I don't know if the motor testing was done with the grains glued or what effect that has on the certification.

Steve Shannon

Okay, I found which message on the Tripoli Forum had the information about gluing the grains.

Once I've received confirmation from Charlie that gluing is not correct I'll bring it up to the board and see what can or should be done about Paul's announcement. I doubt we would change his original announcement, but we might want to reply to it with a clarification or correction.

I would urge people not to use the certification announcements as instructions. Always use the manufacturer's instructions, which may include auxiliary materials, such as the advisory about gluing grains.

Steve Shannon

I received clarification from Charlie. If the rocket is one that will be subjected to high acceleration, glue bonding the grains makes sense. For rockets with a lower acceleration gluing the grains is not necessary. I'll talk to the rest of the board to see what, if anything, needs to be added to Paul's announcement.

Steve Shannon

I received clarification from Charlie. If the rocket is one that will be subjected to high acceleration, glue bonding the grains makes sense. For rockets with a lower acceleration gluing the grains is not necessary. I'll talk to the rest of the board to see what, if anything, needs to be added to Paul's announcement.

Steve, thank you for gathering additional input here from AT, much appreciated!

Justin

Back