AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I'm digging through my AT 38mm reloads box and find this:
002.jpg

I think I got this from Juan a while ago, anybody want to guess how old it is? It even includes a piece of thermite and long version of the old copperhead igniter:

ISP/Aerotech sometimes used Hexadecimal date codes. The 5b is 91 for 1991, which is exactly when I would have put this since I have an I357 with ISP instructions from around then. Do you have the delay element and paper delay insulator? The white plastic looking parts I have never seen. As with all old Blue Thunder I have seen, the grains look great.

ISP/Aerotech sometimes used Hexadecimal date codes. The 5b is 91 for 1991, which is exactly when I would have put this since I have an I357 with ISP instructions from around then. Do you have the delay element and paper delay insulator? The white plastic looking parts I have never seen. As with all old Blue Thunder I have seen, the grains look great.

Thanks for the reply! The delay element is stuck inside one of the red caps. No paper delay element, but lots of other small parts that might be part of that assembly. 26 years old!

Thanks for the reply! The delay element is stuck inside one of the red caps. No paper delay element, but lots of other small parts that might be part of that assembly. 26 years old!

But will it still work ?

If I try it, it will be with an altimeter. Won't trust a motor delay, and would probably replace it with an RDK and paper insulator.

Can you post a better picture of the parts list and a pictute of the delay assembly instructions?

This may be a back burner project but is there any word on new Quest motors (something similar to Klima)? I seem to recall a hint on The Rocketry Show but all has been quiet since then

I had a brief discussion with them at NSL (just as they were packing up) that they have had a couple of iterations with cases and therefore certification tests but that all is on track now and that we should see them this year. They did show me a sample of a two-pack of A3-4s (IIRC) just to get an idea of what they look like.

I'm still hoping we see them and that they give us real alternatives to the choices from Estes as some of the Quest motors have in the past.

One thing this thread has taught me is patience. I love having this back channel to a leader in our little hobby. As far as new products go, I'll get excited when they show up for sale at my favorite motor vendor (or anywhere).

If those are 18mm A3-4 motors, they will likely be perfect for the tens of thousands of school and youth group model rocket launches where they use a small "normal" sized model rocket, such as a Starhawk or Astra (or Wizard or Alpha or Generic E2X).

They will not be good in heavier model rockets, like the BT-56 sized rockets (like a "Code Red"). Those will fly better with a higher average thrust and more total impulse.

HOWEVER, if the A3-4 motor has a huge initial thrust spike and a long tail, then the average thrust will be 3 Newtons and the rocket will leap off the pad pretty nicely allowing for use in slightly heavier models than you would expect for an "A3". Think of the Estes A10-3T motor, which is actually an A2
https://www.nar.org/SandT/pdf/Estes/A10T.pdf

I had a brief discussion with them at NSL (just as they were packing up) that they have had a couple of iterations with cases and therefore certification tests but that all is on track now and that we should see them this year. They did show me a sample of a two-pack of A3-4s (IIRC) just to get an idea of what they look like.

I'm still hoping we see them and that they give us real alternatives to the choices from Estes as some of the Quest motors have in the past.

stupid (possibly asked before?) question:

I have a DMS motor that I prepped for launch (to the point of having the igniter in it, but then I wasn't able to and pulled the igniter. It was that close) ... about 6 weeks ago.
I think I drilled the delay appropriately.

Now I've got the charge in it and it was prepped for flight... How bad an idea would it be to pour the powder out, check the delay, and put everything back in? I'm ... 99% sure I drilled the delay correctly. But it's been over a month.

Leave it & cross my fingers, or take it apart and make sure?

stupid (possibly asked before?) question:

I have a DMS motor that I prepped for launch (to the point of having the igniter in it, but then I wasn't able to and pulled the igniter. It was that close) ... about 6 weeks ago.
I think I drilled the delay appropriately.

Now I've got the charge in it and it was prepped for flight... How bad an idea would it be to pour the powder out, check the delay, and put everything back in? I'm ... 99% sure I drilled the delay correctly. But it's been over a month.

Leave it & cross my fingers, or take it apart and make sure?
How much is the rocket worth ( to you )?

The biggest problem with unpacking an already prepped motor is controlling where the ejection charge particles go. They have a tendency to not go where you want them. If you think you can get all the charge out, every last bit of it, you won't have a problem. If even a single grain of it lodges in the wrong place you risk early recovery deployment.

The biggest problem with unpacking an already prepped motor is controlling where the ejection charge particles go. They have a tendency to not go where you want them. If you think you can get all the charge out, every last bit of it, you won't have a problem. If even a single grain of it lodges in the wrong place you risk early recovery deployment.

Well. Then I'm going to trust 6-weeks-ago-me to have done it right :)

...Wait, is this even true with DMS motors? Obviously with RMS motors, there are a lot more not-okay places for grains to go. But with a DMS motor...you pour it in the hole or out of the hole, it's not like it could slip past an O-ring or something....

Or not. I could be wrong. This is literally the first DMS motor I've ever used, so please correct me if I am wrong.

Weren't we suppose to hearing about the new 24/60 loads around now? Or is that after a later event? I thought it was going to be demo'd at NSL.

Weren't we suppose to hearing about the new 24/60 loads around now? Or is that after a later event? I thought it was going to be demo'd at NSL.

The 24/60 loads were on display along with the Economax F67 motors at the NSL.

The NAR S&T had not certified the motors yet so they could not be flown. :(

Can anyone shed some light on what the deal is with the 29/40-120 cases? Are they that popular where they aren't ever in stock anymore or did I miss something in the last 9 years about them?

They are pretty popular. It's not an exhaustive sample, but I just checked 2-3 vendors and they appeared to have stock.

Can anyone shed some light on what the deal is with the 29/40-120 cases? Are they that popular where they aren't ever in stock anymore or did I miss something in the last 9 years about them?
'They get hit hard randomly for purchase. I had a pile of them one day, then poof, they were gone.

Been back ordered for a while now. Speculating, but probably a supplier issue.

Thanks everyone, think I found some - I have a bunch of old reloads burning a hole in my toolbox!

Hi Lee! It was great to meet you out there, sorry that that we couldn't demo anything but it was still a great launch. Also, there shouldn't be any issues with the 24mm Estes retainer.

Charlie,
Looking forward to meeting you! Are you aware of any concerns using the Estes plastic 24mm screw-on motor retainers with the 24/60 RMS (heat concerns perhaps)? I have a number of Rocketarium aluminum retainers I use with the 24/40, but the larger aft closure on the 24/60 won't fit them.

I can use metal clips but would like to use a screw-on type if possible.

Thanks!

Back